PDA

View Full Version : head/cam questions.

oh one ls1 SS
02-10-2008, 09:28 PM
im planning on finally doing my H/C and i was just wondering what you guys suggest upgrading in the process. timing chain? injectors? push rods? oil pump? so far i have kooks LT's,high flow cats, corsa catback, lid, and some other suspension stuff. also, what company heads do you guys suggest? i was looking at AFR's or PRC's from texas speed http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/categoryM.asp?MID=1&catid=40 is there any other company thats better? and time for the question everyone ask's.. what cam would you suggest getting? ive read alot about them and and all the size's mean and all that but there are just so many variables. if it helps the car is a 6 speed 02 WS6 with 25K any info/advise would be greatly appreciated!

oh one ls1 SS
02-10-2008, 09:51 PM
forgot to add. the car WILL NOT be my DD once i get it done and my goals for the car are to have it be ffaasstttttttttttt haha

SteveR
02-11-2008, 01:09 AM
the first question is what cam and how much work to the heads?

Tru2Chevy
02-11-2008, 07:14 PM
I vote chummmma cam!

- Justin

oh one ls1 SS
02-12-2008, 07:54 PM
the first question is what cam and how much work to the heads?

that also what i dont know. im not positive on what one's to get. im not sure what cam will match up that what heads to get the most out of them.

SteveR
02-12-2008, 10:55 PM
ok, what are your intentions for the car? Outline what you have done and are doing or what you want the car to do and we can figure it out.

oh one ls1 SS
02-12-2008, 11:28 PM
intentions are to have a significant HP jump and a nice drop in the 1/4 mile haha so far i have kooks LT's,high flow cats, corsa catback, lid, and some other suspension stuff. someone told me to check out the cartek 2x package. the cam is 224/228 with a 113 LSA with a .590 lift and heres the like to the heads. http://www.cartek.net/parts/headsandcam/heads/headsmain.html# seems like a good package to me (but i know nothing) but i dont really want to run it to 6400rpm and 3400's kinda late for the power band of the cam.

johnjzjz
02-13-2008, 06:22 PM
well -- the first place you need to start would be how much room do you have between the bottom of the valve spring retainer and the top of the valve guide seal < and that would be if you know for sure what the installed valve spring pressure is at this time, you can than pick a cam that fits the combo you have, not tryiing to be a smart as but its the way a good shop would do for you if you wanted to know how big a cam you could put in the motor < having said all that their are guys on here who know what you can do with out knowing all of that -- and that is the key to this site -- the guys can and will help you out -- jz

Tru2Chevy
02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
but i dont really want to run it to 6400rpm and 3400's kinda late for the power band of the cam.

I think you can do much better than that cartek package for a non-DD fast toy....

And 6400 RPM is nothing for an LS1....

- Justin

oh one ls1 SS
02-17-2008, 07:25 PM
would the AFR heads http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=131 work well with the MS4 cam http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=666 ?? also back to my original post.. is there anything else else that should/has to be upgraded?

WayFast84
02-18-2008, 11:44 AM
would the AFR heads http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=131 work well with the MS4 cam http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=666 ?? also back to my original post.. is there anything else else that should/has to be upgraded?

i'm no expert but you might want to add a fast intake on your to do list.

Mike
02-18-2008, 05:26 PM
i'm no expert but you might want to add a fast intake on your to do list.

why? since your no expert why are you telling him how to spend 1k? the fast 78 isnt that much different than a ls6 and the fast 90 is overkill on a na stock cube motor.

Batman
02-18-2008, 09:37 PM
the fast 90 is overkill on a na stock cube motor.

Depends on the motor, if he is going with a big ass cam and heads he will easily need a 90MM. My suggestion is trickflow heads and a cam in the 236/236ish range with less then .600" lift. My car made about 515-530 at the motor with untouched trickflow 215's and a 228/238 cam. My best advice is pick your heads then call a pro to pick your cam. Also is this car an M6 or an A4? What gears do you have? What deos the car weigh? What rear end do you have? Clutch/converter? All this stuff factors in to building an engine. You shouldn't just toss money at it without a plan. Also keep in mind if you just toss an engine in a near stock car you are going to break stuff left and right and won't be able to drive it. Build the car first, then worry about the engine.

oh one ls1 SS
02-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Also is this car an M6 or an A4? What gears do you have? What deos the car weigh? What rear end do you have? Clutch/converter? All this stuff factors in to building an engine. You shouldn't just toss money at it without a plan. Also keep in mind if you just toss an engine in a near stock car you are going to break stuff left and right and won't be able to drive it. Build the car first, then worry about the engine.

car is a M6. stock gears (dont know exactly what's in there) car's either 3200 or 3600 with me. stock rear, i know its going to blow up if i beat on the car with the H/C so when i have enough saved up im gunna get a stronger one. stock clutch but im going to replace it when i do the H/C. when you say build the car first then worry about then engine what do you suggest going with first?

johnjzjz
02-19-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm no expert but you might want to add a fast intake on your to do list.

good find not seeing he had an intake picked - and the only real way to see if anything actually works is to dyno a number of combos - now with all the guys who have different stuff picking a combo from the group and sharing parts would be the way to see what and what does not do the job - rather than a sidewalk guess about its size or numbers some company advertised --jz

JerzyIroc
02-19-2008, 11:19 PM
i personally don't kno much about the ls series motors. but i've seen plenty of those cartek h/c cars runnings 10's with stock short block. matter fact there's a vid of someone here doing a 10.32@132 with their 4x package and built rear

Tru2Chevy
02-20-2008, 09:49 AM
You can always talk to Matt @ TTP about their h/c packages as well....

- Justin

Ian
02-25-2008, 07:05 PM
:stupid:

you'd probably get the best advice talking to a shop that deals with this kind of thing everyday.

oh one ls1 SS
02-26-2008, 05:56 PM
:stupid:

you'd probably get the best advice talking to a shop that deals with this kind of thing everyday.

yea.. thats what i was gunna do but i thought they would chime in here. ill just PM him