PDA

View Full Version : Rear seat belts in early 3rd gen

Oddball
03-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi,

This may sound like a strange request but I need someone's help. With the tundra thawing, I got the IROC out and driving today (yeah!). But now my yearly dilema pops back up. I only have rear lap belts and often want to have more than one child with me (I have three boys ages 7, 5, 5). According to state police, one can legally be in the front because there are no air bags.

I have a full set of 4th gen seat belts, but there is no place to mount the rear shoulder attachments. I've already installed the front buckles due to the infamous 3rd gen seat belt recall.

I have spoken to a few body shops in the Blackwood (South Jersey) area and no one is willing to install any non-factory safety equipment for fear of lawsuits should I get into an accident.

Do any of you now where I can turn to have the fabrication to have mounting points for the seat belts? I had heard I may need to weld in brackets from a late 3rd gen and possibly get different interior trim pieces. I would prefer a shop but would be willing to drive to someones house assuming they are experienced welders. If anyone is in trade school, would you take this on as a in-class project under the supervision of your instructor?

Any advice would be appreciated!

BonzoHansen
03-29-2008, 09:01 PM
I thought rear 3 points were in the late 3rd gens (90-92 :?:). All I'd think all you'd need is those belts & the brackets they bolt to, which, w/o actually knowing, I woud assume spot weld to the rear just like all the 4th gens (which might also work for you. You'd likely need the right rear plastics too (or cut holes in yours for the belts)

If the above is true, it's a no brainer. But I could be 100% wrong.

Untamed
03-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Don't hedge your kid's safty on an in-class project.

Use the child seats that have their own straps and buckles, and feed the lap belts through the back of the safety seat. The seat belt will retain the satey seat, and the straps and buckles on the seat will restrain the child. If all you have are booster seats for the kids, don't start spot welding things on the roof hoping it will hold your kids. You may have to wait until they are older and able to sit on the seat itself.

You and your kids want to be safe, or a statistic? I know thats harsh but think about it a bit before deciding. I have an 88 TA and already fitted two of the child seats I have. My kids are in boosters but still fit well on the full seats that have straps. They'll be safe and when I get my car road worthy I'll be able to drive with them without thinking about some tech kids' spot welds.

BonzoHansen
03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Assuming it is welded even 1/2 decent, if those welds pull out you have far bigger issues to deal with. Like a car bent in half. But a good welder would have no problem doing it. (yeah, maybe not a school kid)

You might even be able to bolt it down if space allows for load-spreading plates (which is how the others are bolted down).

//<86TA>\\
03-30-2008, 08:21 PM
you would be welding to the wheel well right? they are pretty thin, 20 or 22 gauge. and only 1 layer. A weld would not do, IF you are going to do this, you should think about bolting in a larger plate to the underside and maybe even the top side of the wheel well, sandwiching things together.. that way it will never pull through.

or do what bonzo said, similar idea
________
SIX (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Rambler_Six)

BonzoHansen
03-30-2008, 08:28 PM
that metal is thin, but that is what GM used in those and the 4th gens.