PDA

View Full Version : rust repair

transamkid
04-05-2008, 06:24 PM
so today i took the rear bumper off the t/a since im getting another after the accident i had back in november. where the rear bumper attaches to the body is all rust/rotted out underneath. this is the only rust on my car, but it looks like it might be difficult to repair, ill post up some pics of it 2m. but does anyone have and tips or suggestions to repairing this?

WildBillyT
04-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I just took a rust bath this morning. Post up a pic and I'll tell you whatever I can.

johnjzjz
04-06-2008, 04:08 PM
sometimes you are better off just treating the rust with an acid than por 15 it and forget about it if its now november you find it than sure go for a fix but april is not the time to tare the car apart for some rust holes -- jz

transamkid
04-06-2008, 05:06 PM
well right now the car is just chillen in my driveway...dont have any plans for racing it or doing anything yet..just ordered a fender for it thats shipping 2m, gonna fix the rust and rear bumper and just cruise with it for now.
i got in the accident in november and just took the bumper off yesterday bc the deadbeat insurance ppl were supposed to come take pics, so i couldnt do anything with it. but its been a while and nothing so screw em

WildBillyT
04-06-2008, 06:27 PM
If you can post a pic up I can let you know. POR-15 is a good choice if the metal has enough tooth. If it is pretty smooth you can wire wheel, prime, and paint. You can fill minor holes with epoxy putty or if you have the equipment you can fill them in with light welds.

If it is badly rusted and we are talking about your tail panel, you are in relatively deep ****.

transamkid
04-06-2008, 07:03 PM
well im in relatively deep **** then....i couldnt take a pic, my sis had the camera today. i have a hook up where i can get a rear panel sorta though off a 79 or 77

transamkid
04-09-2008, 07:15 PM
ok so i went to my old job today where there are 3 2nd gens laying around =DD
talked to my old boss and he is gonna let me hack up the '79 thats laying there so i can get the whole rear peice under the taillights..the new fender for my car is coming within the next 3 days also so my car will look halfway decent