PDA

View Full Version : New Stereo Setup

qwikz28
04-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Well guys, en lieu of the performance mods done to my car, I decided I wanted to go with a setup a little more light in weight. I should be dropping about 50 pounds off the car total. I've been wanting to do this for a while, so over the first few weeks of summer, I will be redoing my interior! Firstly the carpet is getting tossed, and being replaced with black carpet. I have wanted to change the seats for a while but I can't decide on which ones so I will leave that for later. But anyway, back to the stereo, here are the specs of the old setup:

Eclipse 8053 head unit
Focal 165K2P Components in doors with custom fiberglass tweeter pods
CDT Audio CL-63 Braxial Series Components in sails with Satnet Crossover upgrade.
JBL Audio GTO 75.4 Amp for speakers
JBL Audio GTO 300.1 Amp for Sub
RE Audio 12" SE Sub in Subthump Drivers side Stealth Box

The new setup is far more simple:
head unit:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=iDA-X100
and 2 pairs of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=52000&i=1086022I&tp=95

The headunit is very interesting because it has no CD player. It was a joint collaboration between Alpine and Apple to make the first all digital ipod-to-head unit connection. The first generation of this head unit won many awards but customers had a few complaints as happens with any new product. This is the revised version and should be a winner. I was lucky to get the headunit at almost half-price! I was searching google for more info and I found it on sale at Amazon, which I have a Amazon credit card and gift certificate. I made out like a bandit on the head unit! The speakers were simply buy one get one half off, so I went for it. Radio and speakers with shipping I spent about $400. Not a bad deal at all!

ps- all the old stuff will be for sale once the car comes back from JS Performance for those who would like.

deadtrend1
04-26-2008, 10:13 AM
I miss my old eclipse headunit.

Can't wait to see pics of the new setup. I been ou tof the stereo scene for so many years that I don't know whats good anymore. .. Lol

qwikz28
04-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I miss my old eclipse headunit.

Can't wait to see pics of the new setup. I been ou tof the stereo scene for so many years that I don't know whats good anymore. .. Lol

the hardest part of all this is parting with my eclipse radio, i freakin love that thing. I might hold onto it just in case actually.

i agree with you about being out of the game for a while. but i did alot of reading on this radio and it looks promising. If you are interested, type the model name in youtube and there are clips of people playing with the features. its incredible

Knipps
04-26-2008, 11:28 AM
I think I've seen that headunit, what swayed me away from it is the lack of CD capabilities..
I know everyone's go mp3 players now but I have a habit of forgetting it in the house so i keep a few spare CDs in the car. Otherwise I think it's awesome. :twisted:

sweetbmxrider
04-26-2008, 01:40 PM
dude that head unit is sooooo sick. my buddies got one in his truck. i wanted to buy one but don't feel the need to blow the cash untill mine starts giving my sheit. way better ipod control then some of the first attempts. this one alpine my friend had used a bar at the bottom and scrolled 3 whatever at a time. be it artists, albums, songs. totally sucked a big one.

qwikz28
04-26-2008, 01:59 PM
dude that head unit is sooooo sick. my buddies got one in his truck. i wanted to buy one but don't feel the need to blow the cash untill mine starts giving my sheit. way better ipod control then some of the first attempts. this one alpine my friend had used a bar at the bottom and scrolled 3 whatever at a time. be it artists, albums, songs. totally sucked a big one.
i know what your talking about, my buddy has that one in his grand am. its pointless

Tru2Chevy
04-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Nice setup Jake!

My Eclipse head unit will be up for sale soon too. I picked up a Pioneer 3900MP on the cheap. Gained MP3/WMA playback, as well as the IP Bus input for my XM Radio setup, and a front aux. input for my iPod :)

I'm also finally gonna swap amps when I swap the head units too.

- Justin

qwikz28
04-27-2008, 10:40 PM
:w00t: looks like i can add 6-disc changer to the list. found one on the cheap. essentially the lack of cd player option was holding me back but that's eliminated now. it has mp3 playback as well which i will never use.

also- after searching around I found a pair of seats I'd like to go with. I'm gonna get those and delete the rear seats. I don't really have that many friends anyway and its a good excuse to get your friends to drive. during winter I'm always driver, having SUV and all but not gonna happen with the camaro. anyway, i have a nifty setup in mind for the interior that will be showcased in a few weeks. probably gonna finish ordering parts this week, pick up the car from Josh's which should be done in a week or two, and start rippin it apart! I'll post pics of the process when the time comes

madness410
04-27-2008, 11:35 PM
wow sweet head unit...very sweet deal too.

TheBandit
04-30-2008, 02:22 PM
with the cdt and focal components and speakers it should sound pretty damn nice.. which RE sub did you opt for?

qwikz28
04-30-2008, 05:17 PM
with the cdt and focal components and speakers it should sound pretty damn nice.. which RE sub did you opt for?

read the post ;) thats the old setup. its teh SE 12" model in a small MDF stealthbox. it sounds amazing, but i want to cut some weight, and this will help me lose about 50lbs!

TheBandit
05-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Heh i didn't read anything :P i just figured everything that was listed was what you were putting in. RE subs are beefy mofos. PM the prices on everything your selling, i may be interested in a few things.