PDA

View Full Version : lessons learned forum

jims69camaro
04-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Yeah Jim has a good question. After all the push to go to professionals for a paint job, staying away from Maaco, what caused the failure? What "type" of paint job did you originally order? One coat, three coats, how much clear? Who did the prep work, etc.

Thanks!

One a side note, still need that Lessons Learned forum set up so folks can submit their tech articles (that are locked and not open to 300 replies).

i think this is an awesome idea, and one i could moderate (hint, hint)

jims69camaro
04-29-2008, 09:36 AM
the basis for the forum is simple. post up what you did, what went wrong and how you went about fixing it. i'm not saying everyone learns from other's mistakes/misfortunes but there are some that can and will. so is this something you think is a good idea?

bobb1589
04-29-2008, 09:38 AM
i think its a good idea. if they dont do it here i will probably make that a feature into the site i am building called fbodygraveyard ... basically it will be a place to buy and sell used fbody parts as well as read tech articles on how to do things... i am still thinking up more ideas for the site but this may be a good one.. so i will pay attention to see if they implement it here

WildBillyT
04-29-2008, 10:12 AM
The tech articles section has been discussed for a little while. I am not sure where it stands these days.

bubba428
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I've got plenty to post!! does it have to be car related...cause yesterday I damn near burnt the house down with a mini fridge

Tru2Chevy
04-29-2008, 01:44 PM
We've been planning a "Tech Articles" section pretty much since we took this site live 3.5 years ago, but for one reason after another it just hasn't gotten off the ground.

I have a (very) basic framework laid out for it, but no real quantity of tech articles to put in it. With my move this month, it's not something that I can get done until the end of May / beginning of June.

Anyone have any experience with integrating pages into vBulletin that would be interested in helping?

- Justin

WildBillyT
04-29-2008, 01:57 PM
We've been planning a "Tech Articles" section pretty much since we took this site live 3.5 years ago, but for one reason after another it just hasn't gotten off the ground.

I have a (very) basic framework laid out for it, but no real quantity of tech articles to put in it. With my move this month, it's not something that I can get done until the end of May / beginning of June.

Anyone have any experience with integrating pages into vBulletin that would be interested in helping?

- Justin

Experience? No. But I am willing to give it a shot. I'm more familiar with CF and ASP then I am with PHP.

bobb1589
04-29-2008, 09:27 PM

- Justin

I can try. I am very familiar with PHP. I have never really worked on vBulletin mods before.

Untamed
04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
The one's I have ready to go are probably really simple fixes / replacements, but may be helpful to the enthusiast willing to get his hands dirty (same category as me). No book in the world replaces experience, so any photos / step by steps people can provide, are greatly appreciated.

Anyone who's worked with the Haynes series with those black and white grainy photos knows the frustrations. Sometimes you just have to grab the tools and start removing bolts to see what has to be done. The key is documenting the experience and passing it on to others.

Replacing rear hatch (with rusted / frozen bolts)
Replacing 3rd gen TA aerowing w/ third brake light
Replacing front ground effects and bumper cover on 3rd gen TA
...etc

All of those are probably simple to those who've done it, but I had to learn by doing because the info just isn't covered well anywhere else. Lots of "2 steps forward, 1 step back" experience.

BonzoHansen
04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Start writing....