View Full Version : HELP

transamkid
07-22-2008, 06:40 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/crazyskidz/car002.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/crazyskidz/car003.jpg

any suggestions? i have no clue how i can fix this

Tru2Chevy
07-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Cut out rusty metal -> make a patch panel -> weld in patch panel.......

- Justin

sweetbmxrider
07-22-2008, 09:39 PM
that looks a little more involved. start now though. por 15 or something to slow it down.

BonzoHansen
07-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Cut out rusty metal -> make a patch panel -> weld in patch panel.......

- Justin

I'd be curious how far that rust goes....it does not stop there I bet, unfortunately.

My $0.02? POR15 the crap out of it & get that bumper back on. Or the proverbial worms will continue to pour out of that can.

HardcoreZ28
07-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Don't just band aid the problem. I'm sure an aftermarket rear lower valence is available. Remove the old one. Clean any rust off of the rear subframe there....POR the subframe. Then weld the new panel in place, seam seal it, and paint it to match the car.

BTK79
07-23-2008, 06:46 AM
That rust is always present in all 2nd gens in the lower valence area mine had it . Do as hardcore said get the parts and do it right.

WildBillyT
07-23-2008, 07:54 AM
That rust is always present in all 2nd gens in the lower valence area mine had it . Do as hardcore said get the parts and do it right.

X3.

Don't mess around with the metal that protects your fuel tank in case of an accident.

mtnhopper1
07-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Or the proverbial worms will continue to pour out of that can.

It looks to me like someone is about to start a 5+ year, frame-off restoration. You'll have it stripped to a shell before winter.

BonzoHansen
07-23-2008, 01:25 PM
It looks to me like someone is about to start a 5+ year, frame-off restoration. You'll have it stripped to a shell before winter.

that is what I was trying to say. Normally I am a do it right or don't do it guy, but if the car is a sunny day car anyways and he isn't prepared for the truth under there, don't look too hard until you are ready for the new rear frame rails and such.

Kat
07-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Just from the pic, the frame rails look to be ok.. a good media blast of the aera would be able to tell how bad the damage is. You might be able to get away with a tail pannel and call it good. As long as you media blast the aera well and prep it well.

Oh and screw POR15 if you are going just to do that, might as well get some epoxy ppg paint and spray the area before you close it back up

transamkid
07-24-2008, 11:59 PM
well thankfully this is almost the only rust left on my car, just welded in some patch panels for two small holes in my trunk today, gotta get the fuel cell, battery and nitrous in there....and i work at a media blasting/welding place.....por15 is garbage, well at least compared to the paints and epoxies we have.

the frame is all solid, the piece in the picture was like starting to rot but when i got rear ended it all crumbled and thats why my far left bumper mount is bent in