PDA

View Full Version : Is F-Body ownership required?

mc73nova
09-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Admin Edit: This conversation was yanked from another thread......

i believe its the walmart in boonton which is exit 40something off 287...never been by though

I can see you being on this site if you had previously owned an f-body before but to have a bright red mustang in your signature is mind boggling. I don't know it just bothers the hell out me. Not you personally just the fact that it is there, not that my opinion matters but it should be a moderator's job to enforce some kind of policy. Yes, you no longer have one, I no longer have one but this is a website strictly based on GM vehicle's, I don't get it.

Anyway, it is right next to the Chevy dealer, there is some pretty nice stuff to be seen there.

ar0ck
09-12-2008, 07:10 PM
I can see you being on this site if you had previously owned an f-body before but to have a bright red mustang in your signature is mind boggling. I don't know it just bothers the hell out me. Not you personally just the fact that it is there, not that my opinion matters but it should be a moderator's job to enforce some kind of policy. Yes, you no longer have one, I no longer have one but this is a website strictly based on GM vehicle's, I don't get it.

Anyway, it is right next to the Chevy dealer, there is some pretty nice stuff to be seen there.

Its because he is our friend.

mc73nova
09-12-2008, 07:32 PM
I understand a lot of you know and hang out with each other but your friendship has nothing to do with how a website functions and filters things. I notice that if you know the right people there is selective treatment from the mods. That is another thing about this website that isn't right, rules are rules and should be the same for all. I have been around this website for quite a while and the fact that I don't go to a lot of functions or are friends with a lot of you should make no difference. I have had threads deleted that had similar material as another member and the explanation I got was they don't catch everything. Funny how I have seen posts from mods in those threads. So, say what you want but this is the only website that I have been on that plays favorites.

Knipps
09-12-2008, 07:37 PM
If someone else with a mustang joined (and they have!) they were allowed to stay.

mc73nova
09-12-2008, 08:02 PM
I am outnumbered and that is why I never said anything before but it is a joke. If he or anyone else is that proud of their mustang they should find a ford forum. There are forums my friends are on that I'm not, I don't go on their Acura forums and post pics of my Chevy just so I can talk to them, thats why there are e-mails and telephones. If they want to hang on this site for their friends thats great, but it can be done without a picture of vehicle that doesn't even pertain to the same motor corporation.

Knipps
09-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Dude, does it really offend you that much?
does it offend you that people list their honda civic DD's?
Your name isn't an f-body, nor is your avatar.

Pot. Meet Kettle.

mc73nova
09-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Yes.
No, they don't have full size pics of their cars that are non gm vehicles
My name is never an referring to an f-body even when I owned one, I use this name for every forum.
The avatar has nothing to due with current vehicle status. He could put it there if he felt like it. Take yours for example, it has no reference to anything on this site.

As for your little jab, here is a pic of my next project, just so we are all clear.

I will leave it at that, considering I am outnumbered 1,986 to 1 and have no more energy left to argue.

Hope to see all of you soon at an F-Body event!

GP99GT
09-16-2008, 08:39 AM
ive never owned an fbody
joined here when i got my first car which was a grand prix, because i knew alex and met like 20 people on here through him
2nd car was an 87 mustang, stayed here
sold that and shortly after bought the one you see in my signature...still here

i like all cars, not just mustangs....if i had found a suitable fbody when i had the money i wouldve bought an fbody after my grand prix, but i found an 87 mustang with T-tops for a good price...couldnt pass it up

this site is for owners AND enthusiasts...ive worked on a few fbodies before, i know some stuff about them, and im a general car enthusiast. i dont pick one car and stick to it, i dont pick one brand and stick to it.

im on 5 ford/mustang forums...and one fbody forum. and 2 general car banter forums.

what do you want them to do, ban me from this site because i have a mustang? you start doing that, you get called "nazi admins", and the site falls to ****. its not playing favorites, you just...dont do that.

i'll tell you what....ill change my sig, just for you

mc73nova
09-16-2008, 08:58 AM
I don't want anyone banned,that wasn't the point. I also like other types of vehicle's not just GM's. I just don't think a huge pic of a mustang in your sig is a little much.

By the way, I voted for the black rims!

BonzoHansen
09-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I pulled these posts out of another thread as none of it had anything to do with the thread at hand. I didn’t want to be perceived as playing favorites, :rolleyes: so I moved the discussion here. To answer the basic inquiry… ownership of a Camaro of Firebird has never been a requirement to join this site/club. Matt is certainly welcome here and is a long time member who does participate in club events and on the board beyond the lounge section. And as far as Matt being a favorite and getting special treatment...while I think we all like Matt, I think Matt will tell you he has had his virtual knuckles smacked a few times, lol. Anyone who has been around here long enough has.

I understand a lot of you know and hang out with each other but your friendship has nothing to do with how a website functions and filters things. I notice that if you know the right people there is selective treatment from the mods. That is another thing about this website that isn't right, rules are rules and should be the same for all. I have been around this website for quite a while and the fact that I don't go to a lot of functions or are friends with a lot of you should make no difference. I have had threads deleted that had similar material as another member and the explanation I got was they don't catch everything. Funny how I have seen posts from mods in those threads. So, say what you want but this is the only website that I have been on that plays favorites.

What does any of this have to do with Matt’s signature pic? What are you even talking about? Mods & admins can’t catch everything, and while we try to maintain some level of consistency, it is impossible to be perfect every time – sometimes a thread can go awry after they have read/posted in it (like the original one here for instance), and sometimes the intention or whatever may be read differently by one person vs. another, and once in a blue moon someone may just forget to have that mod hat on at that moment. That is why there is a report post icon, so member can help police the forums for appropriateness. Feel free to utilize that function where you see fit.

WildBillyT
09-16-2008, 12:43 PM
How about this?

I own an f-body but it is sitting in a barn while I work on it. I can't drive it and probably won't for a few more years. So what good does that do? I won't be at any events with it, and the knowledge I have about working on it would still be with me if I sold it. I own one but it doesn't do the club any good, so to speak.

And regarding the moderation- it's a fine line. Too little moderation and we push members away. Too much and we push members away and posting counts and traffic goes down. It's kind of a pick-and-choose based on severity situation. I see what you mean about some posts not being modded when they should but it really depends on how out of hand things get. If person A insults person B and person B has a thick skin and it doesn't bother them, then that's not a big deal. If person A insults person C and it turns into a 10+ post flame war, then there's an issue.

Just my opinion.

HardcoreZ28
09-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm going to agree and disagree with a lot of things in here....basically because I'm on lunch at work right now. Personally I feel that this site could be utilized soooo much better by F-body owners and enthusiasts. NJ is one of the most highly concentrated states for classic cars in the country yet the majority of our members are 4th gen owners. We're missing a huge boatload of members and knowledge on the F-Body somehow.
I've noticed this for years and even talked with certain admins about it. Am I going to do anything about it? Probably not...I have real world problems that require my attention, as do all of our mods who don't get paid to do this.
Do I care that there's Mustang guys and any other non-Fbod guys on here (girls too)? Yes and No. It was created as a club for owners of these cars and that's where it's roots are...but it's evolved into something different. Personally I'd like to keep it all F-body but as long as the F-body content stays as the vast majority, then I welcome any knowledge that fellow automotive enthusiasts have.

My biggest personal gripe about this site is the content. There's more posts about who's drunk, who likes what mac and cheese, etc than there are informational posts....by far. We've become a tight club and therefore talk on a consistent basis about EVERYTHING, but can we try to get some more car stuff out there??

And finally as for the moderators...I say good job guys. Favoritism? I don't know if there is or isn't and I don't really care. I think over the last year you guys have done a good job of cleaning up a lot of the bickering and taunting that plagued this board. I realize you guys have real jobs and real families to take care of and commend you giving your time to monitor the boards. Keep up the good work.

WildBillyT
09-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Personally I feel that this site could be utilized soooo much better by F-body owners and enthusiasts. NJ is one of the most highly concentrated states for classic cars in the country yet the majority of our members are 4th gen owners. We're missing a huge boatload of members and knowledge on the F-Body somehow.

My biggest personal gripe about this site is the content. There's more posts about who's drunk, who likes what mac and cheese, etc than there are informational posts....by far. We've become a tight club and therefore talk on a consistent basis about EVERYTHING, but can we try to get some more car stuff out there??

Paul,

These two things really go hand in hand. I've been trying to get more 1st/2nd genners and older members on here for a while but I have been frequently rebuffed by the fact that many of them view this as a late model kiddie board.

However,

Without some of the drunk posting and mac and cheese stuff there would be less traffic, which is a quick way to get a board circling the drain...

HardcoreZ28
09-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree and that's why I'm not in your shoes hahah. But really there are so many early model F-Bodies in the state....there has to be a way to attract them. Maybe we should make a seperate section just for first and second gens and see if we can start pulling them in somehow?

BonzoHansen
09-16-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm going to agree and disagree with a lot of things in here....basically because I'm on lunch at work right now. If you were at dinner would your answer change? :lol:

Kidding aside, thanks for the reply.

HardcoreZ28
09-16-2008, 02:14 PM
If you were at dinner would your answer change? :lol:

Kidding aside, thanks for the reply.

Yup....if I were at dinner I'd be rushing through it to get out to work in the shop for the night hahah.

Rich189
09-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Yup....if I were at dinner I'd be rushing through it to get out to work in the shop for the night hahah.

If you were at dinner you wouldnt have even checked... you would have been eating in the shop unless the woman stopped you.

And so i can contribute something to the main topic. I agree that the mods have cleaned up a lot and gotten a ton accomplished especially in the last 6 months.

I attend every meet that I can which is almost all of them unless I have to work. I also attend pretty much every central meet and some of the unofficial parties etc. So I see where all the drunk posts etc come from and find some of them entertaining while others are just stupid.

I also agree that we are missing a lot of people because of these posts and that people see it as a site for younger 4th gen owners vs. the typical 40 yr old with a restored 69 camaro and that sucks.

But like Billy said its pretty much a damned if you do damned if you dont situation if you edit these posts the counts go down you lose members. But at the same time not doing it is missing out on potential active members.

My suggestion would be maybe a 1st and 2nd gen specific forum and make the new lounge posts not appear on the main page like the multimedia forum is set up to do.

And as for members not owning f bodies I dont think its an issue as long as they like f bodies and are an active member. For example my girlfriend ana is not really an active member but over the last 2 years she has been to more meets, club outings, hanging out with other members, and to the track more then 90% of the members on this site yet she does not own an f body she wants to but cant at this point.

mc73nova
09-16-2008, 03:55 PM
hardcorez28 said it perfectly in his first post. I unfortunately came off like a three year year old and couldn't put it in those words. That being said I have nothing more to add to this conversation and don't feel like arguing with an entire forum.

GP99GT
09-16-2008, 04:00 PM
are you guys trying to tell me that the type of macaroni and cheese you enjoy eating isnt an important topic?

LTb1ow
09-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Ask stuff about an LT1 and I can help you, but hell, whats a carb? :wink:

NJSPEEDER
09-16-2008, 05:48 PM
The simple answer is this, from day 1, we have put the club out as "Open to all owners, friends, and fans of GM's F-Body platform"

Ownership was never and will never be a requirement to participate in and enjoy the club, it's events, and our community. Our events will always continue to revolve around F-bodies but will always remain open for all to attend.

sweetbmxrider
09-16-2008, 06:45 PM
since we are not a national forum, we don't receive as much traffic as the bigger sites. we continue to draw from the same crowd and it does get silly at times. the site is divided up appropriately enough to allow for serious discussions about the cars we love while giving us a place to vent or act like idiots. NJFBOA you are beautiful and don't change a thing! :lol:

GP99GT
09-16-2008, 07:10 PM
the lounge is for any and all topics within reason...stupid threads are thereby allowed

LTb1ow
09-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Your sig picture now has TWO non fbods, how is that an improvement over ONE mustang? The other one was cooler too.

sweetbmxrider
09-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Your sig picture now has TWO non fbods, how is that an improvement over ONE mustang? The other one was cooler too.

:lol: agreed! WTF FOX BODY!?!??

Tru2Chevy
09-16-2008, 07:52 PM

Yea, but it also has an F-Body.....

- Justin

LTb1ow
09-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Soooooooooo I could get a riced out honda that has a reflection of an Fbod on it and that would be cool? :rofl:

NJSPEEDER
09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
That would be fine :rofl:

I think this has been covered well enough. I hope everyone understands that we have no intentions of making this an elite, owner only, f-body snob kind of a club.

-Tim