PDA

View Full Version : 1968 camaro specs

Icemansghost
10-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi,

You might all know I just bought a 68 camaro... I was wondering if someone has specs to what was optioned in 68 for all models so I can Identify this car. Like through the vin, and plate under hood. I have a 327 2 speed powerglide.. I really wanna know is if its an rs/ss????

Knipps
10-10-2008, 08:06 PM
best bet is to look for RPO codes and posting up the VIN couldn't hurt

BonzoHansen
10-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Start at CRG - www.camaros.org

Then move onto www.camaros.net

RPO codes, lol.

jims69camaro
10-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Start at CRG - www.camaros.org

best first gen resource on the net.

RPO codes, lol.

snicker, snicker.

luckily, your data plate (also know as the cowl tag) contains all of the info on your car. if the cowl tag and your vin # don't match, for instance, then either the vin # was changed or someone changed the cowl tag (they sell them, believe it or not, on eBay - blank cowl tags and the rivets to attach them). i'm thinking since it's a '68 it probably wasn't messed with.

JL8Jeff
10-11-2008, 02:56 PM
luckily, your data plate (also know as the cowl tag) contains all of the info on your car. if the cowl tag and your vin # don't match, for instance, then either the vin # was changed or someone changed the cowl tag (they sell them, believe it or not, on eBay - blank cowl tags and the rivets to attach them). i'm thinking since it's a '68 it probably wasn't messed with.

The cowl tag number will not necessarily match the first portion of the VIN. 6 cyl cars have a different front sequence number in the VIN than the cowl tag. If the car has a 327 then it's not an SS. If it has the hideaway headlights and separate backup lights, then it might be an RS. It's most likely a base model 327/210 hp 2bbl engine with Powerglide trans and 2.73 open rear. The cowl tag will tell you colors and interior and that's about it. You need to get the stamped numbers off the engine, trans and rear to figure out what they really are.

WildBillyT
10-13-2008, 08:14 AM
The cowl tag will tell you colors and interior and that's about it. You need to get the stamped numbers off the engine, trans and rear to figure out what they really are.

X2. The 1968 cowl tag doesn't have powertrain info on it IIRC.