PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Autox at Citizens Bank Park with Philly Region SCCA

1QWIKBIRD
10-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Here are the details.....this could be a really fun event.

http://www.phillyscca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4708

Hurry up only 30 spots left......must be an annual SCCA member to register.

Chris

NJSPEEDER
10-14-2008, 05:54 AM
I wish my car was ready. Funny thing is that I just got my renewal for my SCCA membership in the mail a few days ago.

-Tim

Tru2Chevy
10-14-2008, 07:25 PM
You should go run it anyway Timmay....

- Justin

1QWIKBIRD
10-14-2008, 09:58 PM
You should go run it anyway Timmay....

- Justin

yeah....what he said!

I even have a set of RA1-S on 17x9.5's you could you use so you don't tear up your street tires.....:?:

Chris

NJSPEEDER
10-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Nah. not this time. It's not the tires I am worried about as much as the stock replacement Bilsteins of unknown service life and terrible brakes. i am tough enough on equipment without wondering if it going to fail. lol

Everyone will get their chance to laugh and my rusty driving in the spring.

-Tim

1QWIKBIRD
10-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Nah. not this time. It's not the tires I am worried about as much as the stock replacement Bilsteins of unknown service life and terrible brakes. i am tough enough on equipment without wondering if it going to fail. lol

Everyone will get their chance to laugh and my rusty driving in the spring.

-Tim

I was more concerned with getting my head handed to me by a stock 4th gen. What I didn't tell you was that each tire would be a 1 sec penalty on the "unofficial" results......I figured a 4 sec head start would be enough to keep me out in front even if i collected a cone.

I'll try and take lots of pics and some video. Hopefully the weather and temps are decent. The big Kuhmos don't like cold.....

rscamaro73
10-15-2008, 06:54 AM
LOL.

I ought to take my van....lol. But I'd have to go novice class in whatever the van fit in. My camaro would be a CP car and at this point of the game....HA HA HA.....but who knows....maybe between now and then I'll get my trunk lid put back on and talk it over with the wife....

NJSPEEDER
10-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Why not? When we used to set up the courses for Philly region, one of hte common test vehicles was a Mazda MPV. Body roll like woah and the most beast shocks in the history of the automobile. lol

1QWIKBIRD
10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Hats off to the Philly Region SCCA crew for us a tryout for this site, hopefully next year we can run there on a regular basis. The lots are plenty big, probably bigger than M-Club up at the Meadowlands and the asphalt is almost new so it is in excellent condition. Easy to get to and get out of, plenty of paddock and grid area.

They capped the event at 100 cars for this "trial" event, so we got 6 runs total. 3 in the morning session and 3 in the afternoon session. Temps early were on the chilly side, but quickly warmed up. The big kuhmo's don't like cold and my tires are way past their prime, so I had very low expectations on the grip scale. I was running in C-prepared (no passenger seat installed yet:banghead:) otherwise I would have been in the more familiar and populated field of Street Modified. I was the only car in class where as street mod had 9 entries. I kept close tabs on those guys for comparison purposes.

I held tire pressures at 30lbs front and 32 lbs rear at first, which seemed to work reasonably well, but later in the afternoon session dropped them to 30lbs all around in an attempt to get more power down.

Links to pics and video are in multimedia section.....

1st run was pretty uneventful, not pushing too hard, not accomplishing too much other than to clean the tires off and see the course. I think I may have gone off course even and my time was in the 49.xxx range. Not on video.

2nd run was better, more grip but still was not looking ahead enough and certain sections came up quick and I found myself on a less than desireable line. In the video you can see at one point the car turns in much quicker than I though it would and I almost drive over 3 cones. Don't even know what my time was for the second run. This is first run shown in the video.

3rd and final run of the morning session and first good clean run. Not a record setting pace, but I got a clean one in the books and its 47.0xx so I am feeling pretty good, but know there is lots more out there. Second run in the video

4th run (first of the afternoon session about 1:15pm) tires are clean and the parking lot has some rubber down and some temp, so this is going to be the fast session. And fast it was, 46.26 so I knocked off 8 tenths and now I am starting to feel better, but the top SM guy is also in the low 46.teens so I still have work to do. I can spin the tires almost at will coming out of turns and transitions and in the last turn around you can see a little bit of push as the front start to hop just a little bit. Third run in the video.

5th run and the car feels better and I am trying to drive it like I stole it. Probably overdriving it at times, and steering with the gas pedal too. But it yields results and I click off a 45.732, another half second chopped off and now I am thinking I got the SM crown covered, only to hear the top guy just ran a 45.7xx so now I am not sure if I have them covered or not. 4th run in the video.

6th run, if some is good more must be better.......wrong. I completely overdrive it and end up with a 47.xxx. No video of this one.

At the end of the day the fastest SM guy in an all wheel drive Eagle Talon (that is embarassing) got me by 0.020 or something like that:evil:.

Great day, no broken parts but I think my Kuhmos are completely done so that means my autox season is probably over, unless I run on my RA-1s, which isn't horrible.

I'll post a link to final results as soon as they are available.

If you have any interest at all in autox, you have to do an even at Citizens Bank Park next year, assuming Philly Region can lock down the site. They could set up national level type courses at that place, no problem.

Chris

NJSPEEDER
10-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Sounds like a good time. Glad to hear you were competitive with the top of the class too. It is always a funny feeling when you realize that trying to push "a little" harder has turned into pushing too hard. lol

Hope they can get use of the lot next year. Seems like a place that could attract a lot of positive attention for the SCCA and maybe draw a few people away from running around the streets.

-Tim

1QWIKBIRD
10-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Final results are in......

http://www.phillyscca.com/solo2/results/2008/SO101908.shtml#final

I need lots of practice....

30th fastest raw time sux......
55 in PAX out of 101 sux.....

Still had fun.

198esp1
10-21-2008, 11:24 PM
um thats not good, book the evo school now or call Ron up and tell him he owes you a free lesson let him drive your car this weekend. if you want use my tires and lets go to hershey park on sunday. your car should be faster. not that it means anything .in april i beat perry by .3 sec at msne sat he beat you by 2.2sec you should be alot closer to him than that even if your tires are crap. get somebody fast in the car and see where your loosing time

NJSPEEDER
10-22-2008, 06:07 AM
Final results are in......

http://www.phillyscca.com/solo2/results/2008/SO101908.shtml#final

I need lots of practice....

30th fastest raw time sux......
55 in PAX out of 101 sux.....

Still had fun.

Of course your PAX time sucks, you were running f'ing CP dude. That multiplier is the worst thing you coudl ever do to a street car. Take your raw and check what it would have been with the SM multi since that is more like where your car belongs, I bet the results are much much kinder.

-Tim

1QWIKBIRD
10-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Of course your PAX time sucks, you were running f'ing CP dude. That multiplier is the worst thing you coudl ever do to a street car. Take your raw and check what it would have been with the SM multi since that is more like where your car belongs, I bet the results are much much kinder.

-Tim

The PAX for SM and CP are very close. 0.860 for SM and 0.864 for CP so there is nothing to be gained really, I would go from 55 to 53. It's the guy behind the wheel that needs to be fixed.

If I could have shaved another half second, down to 45.236, then I'd jump 20 spots in PAX and feel much better. Maybe I'll go to the Hershey event this weekend and try for redemption.

Chris