PDA

View Full Version : Any Chromers

firebirdcrazy
10-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Anyone here chromes up parts in the edison area or close by this area?

HardcoreZ28
10-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Anyone here chromes up parts in the edison area or close by this area?

As far as I know none of us do chrome plating. It's very highly regulated by the government due to the chemicals used and most people don't want anything to do with it anymore. The only "local" guy I know is Marra's in Newark. They do decent work...maybe an 8 out of 10. I'm going to be heading over there in a few weeks to have the forks from my bike chromed.

WildBillyT
10-28-2008, 09:23 AM
As far as I know none of us do chrome plating. It's very highly regulated by the government due to the chemicals used and most people don't want anything to do with it anymore. The only "local" guy I know is Marra's in Newark. They do decent work...maybe an 8 out of 10. I'm going to be heading over there in a few weeks to have the forks from my bike chromed.

That was my experience as well. There used to be (is?) a guy named Don or Dan Maloney in Philly that did awesome work but I don't know if he is still around. He was down by the waterfront in a crappy area.

firebirdcrazy
10-28-2008, 09:42 AM

I want to chrome up some odds and ends from my engine bay. Is he decently priced or is he expensive? I can bring some stuff with you if he gives more of a discount for more items. I got a card from a guy from one of the shows I went to who does chroming out of Toms River NJ but I lost it.

chrisfrom nj
10-28-2008, 09:58 AM
theres a place that does chromeing and polishing on 46 central ave east orange 973 395-0770

HardcoreZ28
10-29-2008, 09:46 AM
I want to chrome up some odds and ends from my engine bay. Is he decently priced or is he expensive? I can bring some stuff with you if he gives more of a discount for more items. I got a card from a guy from one of the shows I went to who does chroming out of Toms River NJ but I lost it.

His pricing is about average. I'm hoping to drop my stuff off in the next week. I called that place in East Orange too and his pricing is very cheap.....may try to look up info on them. What's the actual name of that shop???

chrisfrom nj
10-29-2008, 10:14 AM
theres allso a place in newark mara or maya plateing the owners name is lou

HardcoreZ28
10-29-2008, 10:30 AM
theres allso a place in newark mara or maya plateing the owners name is lou

Yeah I mentioned Marrah's in one of my earlier posts. I've used them before and they do good work....not great but good.

I talked to the guy on Central Ave. again....the name of the shop is Perfect Metal Polishing. Prices are very reasonable and for the small parts I'm having done on my bike right now I'm going to give him a try. If he's good then I'll take all my engine covers from the bike to him over the winter too. If I get the forks apart in time I'll drop everything off to them next wednesday.

chrisfrom nj
10-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah I mentioned Marrah's in one of my earlier posts. I've used them before and they do good work....not great but good.

I talked to the guy on Central Ave. again....the name of the shop is Perfect Metal Polishing. Prices are very reasonable and for the small parts I'm having done on my bike right now I'm going to give him a try. If he's good then I'll take all my engine covers from the bike to him over the winter too. If I get the forks apart in time I'll drop everything off to them next wednesday.he polished the rims on my uncles 86 vette they made them look new again central tire brings them alot of work bent rims and stuff

firebirdcrazy
11-19-2008, 01:53 AM

I talked to the guy on Central Ave. again....the name of the shop is Perfect Metal Polishing. Prices are very reasonable and for the small parts I'm having done on my bike right now I'm going to give him a try. If he's good then I'll take all my engine covers from the bike to him over the winter too. If I get the forks apart in time I'll drop everything off to them next wednesday.

What was the Address?

HardcoreZ28
11-19-2008, 07:15 AM
46 Central Ave. East Orange, NJ

I have to call the guy today....hoping my parts are done and I can pick them up on my way up to the IZOD Center tonight. I'll let you know how they look whenever I get them.

Fast92RS
11-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Let us know how they did. I have a few parts I would like to get chromed.

HardcoreZ28
11-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Just picked up my parts and I am very happy with the work. They weren't the easiest parts in the world to chrome because they were made of cheap Jap metal and calipers are tricky because of all the contours. The finish is nice and smooth and I didn't see any dark spots. And the insides of the calipers, master cylinder, and fork legs have no chrome, nickel, or copper in them so they are ready to have new seals installed.

Definitely recommend these guys....good work and very good prices.

Again it's Perfect Metal Polishing on Central Ave in East Orange

rbaksi
11-22-2008, 09:02 PM
about how much does chroming cost? Like say getting valve covers chromed would cost how much?

NJSPEEDER
11-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Valve covers I would suggest you look into the chrome powder coat and a good buffing before going with regular chrome. Less costly, just as shiney, and easy to clean.

-Tim

HardcoreZ28
11-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Chrome powdercoat is not nearly as shiny as real chrome.....never will be. I've powedercoated several parts with chrome and almost chrome powders and they are more of a silver than chrome....but very durable and easy to clean.

A set of valve covers would probably run $50-$75 each I would guess. That's for show quality triple chrome, not just thin cheap stuff that you can buy already "chromed" at the local parts store.