PDA

View Full Version : Want to post a car on here

91chevywt
10-30-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm trying to get my g/f's firebird out there since I'm trying to sell it, and this site would be perfect to do so. I'm just wondering if there are any other sections on this board I could post since I've only been a member here for about 3-4 months and have only about 25 posts, and I can't post in the classifieds? Or do I have to wait?

SamhainZ28
10-30-2008, 08:39 PM
50 posts or 6 months to use the classifieds board

Tru2Chevy
10-30-2008, 09:18 PM
What he said....and you are also only allowed to post items for sale that belong to you.

- Justin

91chevywt
10-31-2008, 08:53 AM
What he said....and you are also only allowed to post items for sale that belong to you.

- Justin

I bought it for her, but it's not in my name. Does that count?

DaSkinnyGuy
11-02-2008, 03:45 PM
let him post it. hes buying my car.

NJSPEEDER
11-02-2008, 04:17 PM
I bought it for her, but it's not in my name. Does that count?

If it is your car, as in your name on the title, it will be fine for you to post it for sale once you have the 50 posts or 6 months of membership required to gain access to the Classifieds Forums.

-Tim

sweetbmxrider
11-02-2008, 05:34 PM
if you just say selling my car, no one will care. or have her make an account and make 50 posts/wait 6 months.

NJSPEEDER
11-02-2008, 05:44 PM
We care, there will not be any phantom listing of ads on our forums. It was a problem in the past which is why the rules are the way they are.

If it is titled in his name, then it is his car and he can advertise it.

Tru2Chevy
11-02-2008, 09:10 PM
We watch the Classifieds very closely (not just for this rule). The Classified Rules clearly state that you are not allowed to sell any item that does not belong to you. I'm sure there are a few that have slipped passed us, however we do our best to ensure that they do not.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy
11-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for pointing that one out....next time you see one, use the report post icon.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy
11-02-2008, 09:35 PM
ok will do. i feel like a dick now. deleting that post. 8-)

If you could see the deleted threads you'd not feel so bad....there are TONS of them in the Classifieds. I would venture to say that I delete at least 4 or 5 threads a week in there, as well as several needless posts every day.

- Justin

sweetbmxrider
11-02-2008, 09:36 PM
got ya!

91chevywt
11-02-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm not trying to start problems, it just seems to me like the system could use reform. So I basically have only a few options then

1. Make the 50 posts or 6 months. I don't want to just make random posts, I'd like to make a reasonable contribution, so it may take a while. Even then I woudn't be able to put it up, because even though I put out the cash I can't post it.

2. Switch the account over to my girlfriend's name, and let her post the car. Or she creates her own account and makes 50 posts.

3. Switch the car into my name, so I can post it on the board.

Again, not trying to start problems, Its just like 6 months is a long time to make members wait. I don't think theres many spammers that would wait that out and then have at it. Even if there was, the mods would probably be on top of it.

I'm just curious as to why it's a rule you can't post someone elses car. I'm sure there are younger guys on here that put their car in their mom or dad's name to save on insurance.

sweetbmxrider
11-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Its just like 6 months is a long time to make members wait. I don't think theres many spammers that would wait that out and then have at it. Even if there was, the mods would probably be on top of it.

I'm just curious as to why it's a rule you can't post someone elses car. I'm sure there are younger guys on here that put their car in their mom or dad's name to save on insurance.

thats why its 6 months, as a spammer :-x deterent 8-)

i agree i wouldn't be surprised to find many titles in other people's names. you could always list it in your sig, i think :shrug: "____ for sale, pm for details" craigslist it!

Tru2Chevy
11-02-2008, 09:49 PM
We enacted the 50 post / 6 month rule because we had several problems in the past with members joining this site just to use the Classified forums.

I'm sure there aren't many (if any) spammers who would wait 6 months, which is why we chose that timeframe. The idea was to keep spammers out.

The rule about only posting items for sale that you actually own came from having several people post items for sale that a non-member friend had, or even just a car / part they saw for sale on another forum. These ads pretty much all had very little or no contact info, and we had complaints from members who were trying to make purchases and had difficulty contacting the actual owner of the item listed for sale to make the deal.

We tried briefly saying that if you posted an item for sale you must be the point of contact for the sale, but then all people would do was wait for one of our members to contact them, and then pass along their friend's / acquaintance's / whoever's contact info, and the trouble would start again.

Obviously this wasn't the case for every ad that was posted for an item that didn't belong to the member posting it, but it happened often enough that we felt action had to be taken.

If you (or anyone else) has any suggestions on better ways to handle an issue like this, we would gladly listen to your idea(s). If we feel that your idea could make things work out better overall, we'll most likely make a change.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy
11-02-2008, 09:51 PM
i agree i wouldn't be surprised to find many titles in other people's names. you could always list it in your sig, i think :shrug: "____ for sale, pm for details" craigslist it!

Any for sale postings we see in people sigs are subject to the same rules as the Classifieds. We have edited the sigs of n00bs before who were trying to get around the 50post / 6month rules.

- Justin

91chevywt
11-03-2008, 10:07 AM
We enacted the 50 post / 6 month rule because we had several problems in the past with members joining this site just to use the Classified forums.

I'm sure there aren't many (if any) spammers who would wait 6 months, which is why we chose that timeframe. The idea was to keep spammers out.

The rule about only posting items for sale that you actually own came from having several people post items for sale that a non-member friend had, or even just a car / part they saw for sale on another forum. These ads pretty much all had very little or no contact info, and we had complaints from members who were trying to make purchases and had difficulty contacting the actual owner of the item listed for sale to make the deal.

We tried briefly saying that if you posted an item for sale you must be the point of contact for the sale, but then all people would do was wait for one of our members to contact them, and then pass along their friend's / acquaintance's / whoever's contact info, and the trouble would start again.

Obviously this wasn't the case for every ad that was posted for an item that didn't belong to the member posting it, but it happened often enough that we felt action had to be taken.

If you (or anyone else) has any suggestions on better ways to handle an issue like this, we would gladly listen to your idea(s). If we feel that your idea could make things work out better overall, we'll most likely make a change.

- Justin

I'm not sure how others feel, but I do have a few suggestions myself. Maybe you could create a thred with a poll to see what everyone on the board thinks, or I wouldn't mind doing it if your busy. Here are my suggestions

1. Do away with the 6 month waiting period, maybe chop it in half to 3 months at the least
2. A post requirement isn't a bad idea, but I'm sure there are some who make short one word posts just to meet the 50 post minimum to post. I think if someone really wants to post in the classifieds, they will do that for 50 posts or 100 posts, so maybe for those who are legit the minimum should be cut back as well.
3. You can post a vehicle on here if you are a primary driver, or you can be dealt with as far as selling the car. No referrals, posting links to craigslist or ebay, or posting a friends car you dont know anything about. If your parents bought you a car, you can put it on here. If you bought a kid a car and its in their name and they pay for the insurance, you can put it on. I think as long as the original poster can give details about the car, and can be reached within a reasonable amount of time.

To help enforce this, I wouldn't mind helping to oversee the automotive and other classifieds. Does any of this seem feasable?

sweetbmxrider
11-03-2008, 10:55 AM
i think if your last name is on the title, it should be good to go. i like the 6 month/50 posts though.

look how close you are to 50 posts! its not that bad, shows you can contribute to our community. we like that.

Tru2Chevy
11-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Take this discussion here: http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38333

- Justin