PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild ?

karr95
12-08-2008, 03:02 PM
OK, there is a Camaro I am thinking about. It is a nice 92 hard top with a 5 speed however when you start it up there is a nice tapping sound coming from the motor.

For starters lets assume the worst and the engine needs to be rebuilt, approximately how much would a stock rebuild run? I have driven the car and everything works so I would assume that many of the components could be re-used.

Does anyone know any reliable shops in the Old Bridge area that do this kind of work that wouldn't completely screw me?

Thanks!

L8APEX
12-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Sounds like a fun car. You have a PM

NJSPEEDER
12-08-2008, 03:21 PM
RS or Z28?

A hardtop thirdgen is a nice light car to start with if you wanna hop it up a little and play. :drive:

karr95
12-08-2008, 03:33 PM
This one is a Z28.

I love hardtop 3rd gens. I had a 91 GTA hardtop that I sold about a year ago because I needed a truck. Now I have a nice daily driver truck and really want to get another car to play with. :)

NJSPEEDER
12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
hmmm, Z28 would likely be optioned with most of the good suspension parts already. A lot of the best stuff to make thirdgens handle is factory stuff too, so if you want to upgrade, the parts you want are a trip to most any salvage yard away.

Planning to warm that engine up a bit when you rebuild it or just sticking to stock stock? I would be tempted to clean up the heads or through a little cam in it at least, maybe some SLP runners and a ported plenum since it is apart anyway. Definitely tune it, there is a ton of power and fuel economy available with just a chip.

sweetbmxrider
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
aren't slp runners a total waste?

LTb1ow
12-08-2008, 03:58 PM
aren't TPIs a total waste?

:lol:

And give those heads some loving and give it a nice little sleeper cam.

NJSPEEDER
12-08-2008, 04:08 PM
aren't slp runners a total waste?

If you put them on without doing anything to the plenum they only help a little. The opening of the SLP runners is much larger and siamesed as opposed the individual holes that the stock runners used. If you match the openings properly, there is a lot of airflow to be gained.

sweetbmxrider
12-08-2008, 04:20 PM
i would agree with that but it seems when you read about people using them, they say total effing waste.

NJSPEEDER
12-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah, that happens when people just blindly slap parts together and expect magic to happen. lol

I don't think SLP ever made any promises of massive gains from bolting them onto a stock motor, maybe 10hp on a good day with a stock motor and no tuning or anything. It is when you do the job completely and correctly that big gains happen.

91chevywt
12-08-2008, 06:15 PM
If you were to do the whole motor, it would depend on what you buy new, and what is good. It can be pretty cheap if you keep everything, and get pretty expensive if you start replacing things. You should find out what is bad though, because you may think its a bearing when you really have a valve tap. If it were me, I'd just look into fixing what is wrong. If it's a valve tap, which it very well may be, it's not too hard or expensive to fix if it's just a lifter. If it's anything more than a lifter, it's probably not worth it for a 305. You'd be better off finding another used motor...people like to sell them cheap.

LTb1ow
12-08-2008, 07:04 PM
You could always upgrade to an LT1....

JSPERFORMANCE
12-08-2008, 07:43 PM
If you are looking for cheap then take a look at something from GM that comes in a crate. If you want something special than custom built is the only way to go.

karr95
12-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I am supposed to speak with the guy today about the car. I'll let you know what happens.

camaroAL
12-09-2008, 09:39 AM
pm sent!

karr95
12-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Well, the guy sold the Camaro so this one is out. I guess it is just as well, I would prefer a 3rd gen Bird with an auto anyway. Thanks for all of the replys, at least now if I need any work done I know where to look.

PolarBear
12-11-2008, 08:44 AM
This one is a Z28.

I love hardtop 3rd gens. I had a 91 GTA hardtop that I sold about a year ago because I needed a truck. Now I have a nice daily driver truck and really want to get another car to play with. :)

You should have never gotten rid of that car. The interior was MINT :| I just wished that I had the money to buy it when you were trying to sell it. You have me do all that work then sell it too.....

I would prefer a 3rd gen Bird with an auto anyway.

Wuss :wink:

karr95
12-11-2008, 01:42 PM
You should have never gotten rid of that car. The interior was MINT :| I just wished that I had the money to buy it when you were trying to sell it. You have me do all that work then sell it too.....

Wuss :wink:

I really wish I would have kept that car. The floor was a bit on the soft side so down the line that car would have required some serious restoration work but after I got it painted, it was sweet.

C'mon, most F-Body's are autos! :)

sweetbmxrider
12-11-2008, 04:33 PM
C'mon, most mustangs are v6 autos! :)

fixed :wink: