PDA

View Full Version : Out of state auto purchase...

lastcall190
12-08-2008, 03:20 PM
I am looking at a vehicle that is out of state... how would I go about getting it home? Does the NJ DMV give out temp tags for such a purpose? I tried to navigate their site but I found it very difficult to find anything (which I didn't). In the past the only vehicles I purchased out of state were either towed home or it was a dealer and I had a temp tag... Any input is appreciated, thank.

-J

NastyEllEssWon
12-08-2008, 03:23 PM
ive bought quite a few cars from out of state....as far as i know the state has some type of temporary pass that you can apply for but no one working for the dmv knows how.

i always slap my current tags on the car...make sure the registration on those tags are current....make sure i have my insurance with me...and have someone follow me from behind so a cop doesnt get close enough to run my tags. ive done this multiple times. drove my beretta back from CT like that

lastcall190
12-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Cool that's what I thought. Gee the DMV doesn't know what's going on, imagine that...

Yea I figure have my most recent insurance card with the policy number on it. Thanks for the info.

-J

NJSPEEDER
12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Most states outside of NJ use private places that do tags for vehicle purchases. I know in PA they are everywhere, pay a fee, title transfer goes through, and they issue a temp tag.

I believe NY is the same way.

chrisfrom nj
12-08-2008, 03:46 PM
borrow a dealer plate from someone

lastcall190
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
I did that for another car I purchased, at the time my brother in law had to drive because he mentioned something with the registration/insurance associated with the dealer tag, if I had driven the car and something happened it'd be a world of ****.

Speeder, thanks for the suggestion. I'll ask him if there is anyplace local that does it, I know I passed a PA state inspection facility right before I got there.

-J

sweetbmxrider
12-08-2008, 03:54 PM
just register and insure it before you get it :shrug:

35thls1ss19
12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
what ya buying jacob? anything fun!?

Knipps
12-08-2008, 04:37 PM
The guy who bought my old 95 lived in NH. When I signed over the title he went to the DMV and they gave him temp plates to drive home with

jims69camaro
12-13-2008, 08:10 AM
you could do it the legal way: get the title and go to DMV to register it. then call your insurance company and add it to your current policy (they add cars and charge you later).

you can do it the shady way: slap some tags on it and have your ride there follow you home.

you can call PA DMV and find out if they'll issue you a temp tag.

is this from a dealer or a private sale? sounds like a private sale. once you pay for the car you'll get the title, then flip the title and register the car all in one shot. be careful about the car's value, because NJ DMV wants their tax money up front, when you register the car. if you paid 1,000 for the car, that ends up being $60... in addition to the title and reg fee... you could conceivably have to pay $200 +/-

lastcall190
12-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh definitely, I have a loan on the car so there is no "beating" the system this time around, which is fine because I took that into account before even finalizing a price. He said he wouldn't have a problem with me using his reg and tag to come home and then just mail them back to him. I've done that in the past so I'll probably do it again. If I had to you're right, I would take the title to the DMV then go out there with my tags/reg/ins. Thanks for the insight.

-J

V
12-13-2008, 09:21 AM
its called In-tranist tags. most states will issue them for vehicle leaveing that state, ie, you wouldn't go to nj MVC for buying a car in NY and driving back to NJ, youd go to a NY agency.

my 88 iroc i bought used, i have to original intransit paperwork from ny to nj(from 1987) i also had in transit paper plates on my 03 ninja i bought in NY, and when i sold my one truck a guy flew up from FL, went to a local mvc agency here with the title and got paperwork to drive it home. i wouldnt let him leave without it since the truck would still be in my name.

lastcall190
12-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Understood and thanks for the bit about having to get the tags in the state of purchase. The NJ tags on a PA truck is not gonna happen, it would take maybe 10 minutes for local/state law enforcement to see mismatching inspection/plates and pull me over.

-J

NastyEllEssWon
12-13-2008, 10:17 AM
youd think so but not. ive had my beretta almost a year now and it still has the CT registration/inspection sticker on it and a big crack in the windshield...havent been pulled over yet