PDA

View Full Version : my first ls1 issue

emolineaux
12-11-2008, 06:40 PM
well i was driving home from work and my check guage light came on. looked at the guages looked fine than i noticed the battery guage going down. i stoped at my grandpas because he was close. i pulled into his garage and jacked her up to take the alternator out, and what do i find. the wire going to the connector was pulled out lol. anyway i went to autozone and ordered a new connector and tested my alternator which failed so i bought a new one but oh well. i just hope that this isnt going to be like my 93 was, knock on wood. has anyone else had this issue?

NastyEllEssWon
12-11-2008, 06:43 PM
the location of the alternator on the ls motors is a bad spot, and beings the wires and connectors down there are in a very heat soaked spot they do corrode and wear out quickly.

i had to do this on my friends ss on the way to the track (from san jose to sacramento) and got a nasty burn from doing it on my forearm.

emolineaux
12-11-2008, 06:44 PM
they should of stuck the p/s pump down low and the alt up top.

NastyEllEssWon
12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
nope because then they wouldnt make any money when the cheap power steering reservoir cracks (and it will) and leaks all over everything else ruining whatever it feels like.

emolineaux
12-11-2008, 06:53 PM
i have to check mine tomorrow when i get back to my grandpas to install the new parts, ive been adding a little bit of p/s fluid to the car the past month. alternator was just really dirty didnt have p/s fluid on it

JL8Jeff
12-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I had the battery post rot and fall out on me right after I got home from work one day. That's a Delco battery problem but if you still have the original battery, might want to check it or be ready to replace it.

emolineaux
12-11-2008, 08:07 PM
no the battery has been replaced

maroman88
12-11-2008, 08:14 PM
yea i was under my new LS1 and laughed at the alternators location as well.... no puddles for this car lol

Mike
12-11-2008, 08:16 PM
yea i was under my new LS1 and laughed at the alternators location as well.... no puddles for this car lol

you will be fine.......alternator is in the same spot on the 4x4 trucks :rofl:

BonzoHansen
12-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah, it's the PS fluid that will take it out.

V
12-11-2008, 08:27 PM
i had my ps fluid resivior leak. the rubber o ring between it and the pump got rock hard and it poured down the front of the engine, a little brake-kleen and a new o ring with some rtv silicone as a garantee and its dry as a bone now. not too hard of a job to do.

91chevywt
12-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Maybe the LT1 will be a backup for both cars :wink:

emolineaux
12-11-2008, 09:13 PM
na no more lt1 camaros for me

Slow96LT1
12-12-2008, 04:08 PM
getting that alternator past the sway bar fun too

NastyEllEssWon
12-12-2008, 04:22 PM
sway bars unbolt easy enough

Jersey_TA
12-13-2008, 02:32 AM
well i was driving home from work and my check guage light came on. looked at the guages looked fine than i noticed the battery guage going down. i stoped at my grandpas because he was close. i pulled into his garage and jacked her up to take the alternator out, and what do i find. the wire going to the connector was pulled out lol. anyway i went to autozone and ordered a new connector and tested my alternator which failed so i bought a new one but oh well. i just hope that this isnt going to be like my 93 was, knock on wood. has anyone else had this issue?

My stock alternator lasted 105,000 miles before the lights would flicker/dim. I changed it before it got any worse.

qwikz28
12-13-2008, 08:21 AM
the autozone alternators (or at least just the one i got) had a different black plastic cover on the back. switch it with the smaller stock one to help it fit easier. i didn't unbolt my sway bar or anything, just a little finesse and it went in there. may i also recommend upgrading the big 3 while your in there?