PDA

View Full Version : whats going to happen to warranty's?

oh one ls1 SS
12-13-2008, 10:31 AM
im looking at getting a new jeep for a beater but with them about to go bankrupt i dont want to have some major problem and be S.O.L. What happens with everyone that has a warranty on their car's and the tran's goes or something else? im looking at picking one up within 2-3 weeks but this is a major concern thats stopping me.

BigAls87Z28
12-13-2008, 10:40 AM
If they go Chap 11, the goverment will probably cover it
If they go Chap 7, which will most deffinatly happen after Chap 11, you are SOL unless someone buys up Chrysler.

oh one ls1 SS
12-13-2008, 10:43 AM
:banghead:

V
12-13-2008, 10:43 AM
what about saturn, will a chevy dealer cover it?

BigAls87Z28
12-13-2008, 10:45 AM
If GM makes it through, and the Saturn brand is disolved, then yes Saturn will be coverd by any GM Goodwrench dealer.

NastyEllEssWon
12-13-2008, 10:55 AM
woot for my ion!

oh one ls1 SS
12-13-2008, 04:29 PM
ssoooo it would be a bad time to buy a jeep..eah?

BonzoHansen
12-13-2008, 04:34 PM
If they go Chap 11, the goverment will probably cover it
If they go Chap 7, which will most deffinatly happen after Chap 11, you are SOL unless someone buys up Chrysler.

where did you hear the govt picks up warranties?

NJSPEEDER
12-13-2008, 04:42 PM

It's been a bad time to buy a new Jeep for 5 years now.

JL8Jeff
12-13-2008, 05:16 PM
What's a warranty? :shrug:

-

sweetbmxrider
12-13-2008, 05:47 PM
What's covered in a warranty? :shrug:

-

:lol: seriously. they bite you in the ass most of the time.

V
12-13-2008, 06:12 PM
:lol: seriously. they bite you in the ass most of the time.

...camaro ss...front rotors, starter, rear axle, MOTOR... all covered by my warranty...

...denali... front diff, rear gears, water pump, fuel pump, raditor, 4x4 actuator, multi-function switch, heated leather seat cover...all covered under warranty(and i got 60% of the warranty price back)

...nothign bit me in the ass... I for one, like warranties... hence why the GM tune for the SKY is so appealing.

NjbadSS
12-13-2008, 06:30 PM
^^totally agree.. There might be rumors of them not fixing things, but for the most part they do a good job.

CamaroGirlie
12-13-2008, 07:22 PM
I love the warranty on my charger, and the 24 hour service department, no appointments needed!

SRGN
12-13-2008, 09:16 PM
What's a warranty? :shrug:

-

X2. At least when I fix it myself, I don't have to worry about it.

BigAls87Z28
12-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Tell you the truth, Jeep is the prized jewl of Chrysler, so if they were to be broken up, someone would finally be able to buy Jeep without having to buy up waste of space Chrysler and Dodge.

where did you hear the govt picks up warranties?

When talks of the Big 3 going under, talk of what would happen to warranties was talked about. CNBC said that the goverment would have no choice to help cover it if lets say GM goes Chap 11.

Iroc-z86
12-14-2008, 12:26 AM
well im sol, stupid jeep and extra warranty i added onto it. Meh, if the old I6 blows up, i have a sbc 350 laying around ill just throw into it. Not like my gas mileage will get any worse...

I really hope gm doesnt go under. I really really wanted to buy the camaro as my first new car.

BigAls87Z28
12-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Extended warranties would be coverd by a third party, so no worries there.

NastyEllEssWon
12-14-2008, 03:10 AM
yup ive had my ions whole steering column replaced per warranty cause the electric power steering died. also had a defective head unit replaced....wouldnt play cd's

my warranty helps big time

BonzoHansen
12-14-2008, 10:10 AM
When talks of the Big 3 going under, talk of what would happen to warranties was talked about. CNBC said that the goverment would have no choice to help cover it if lets say GM goes Chap 11.
Maybe if the govt is involved, but I can't imagine that statement is accurate. If they do 7 I expect buys to be out of luck. I'd expect them to continue to service factory warranties under 11.

BigAls87Z28
12-14-2008, 05:46 PM
With Chap 11, people will just read "Bankrupt" and not buy cars. So they will need some sort of backing, so the goverment would have to step in to say to the people "that we got it coverd." Warranty is a non-secured debt, and a lot of the times they can wave buh-bye to it.
Like recently with Circuit City gift cards, the scare was that they were gunna say GTFO, but CC stepped in and said that we will cover them for the holidays so that the sales could keep flowing.

Now in Chap 7, you are SOL no matter what, and probably more ways then one.

Iroc-z86
12-14-2008, 10:31 PM
ugh, i dont have a external warranty company, its a chrysler warranty because the other company ones are a pita. my friend has one of those companies and they always give him the runaround.

well i guess the one good thing is, even though im out the money, i used the warranty twice and once its gone i can lift my jeep :)

BonzoHansen
12-15-2008, 08:12 AM
With Chap 11, people will just read "Bankrupt" and not buy cars. So they will need some sort of backing, so the goverment would have to step in to say to the people "that we got it coverd." Warranty is a non-secured debt, and a lot of the times they can wave buh-bye to it.
Like recently with Circuit City gift cards, the scare was that they were gunna say GTFO, but CC stepped in and said that we will cover them for the holidays so that the sales could keep flowing.

Now in Chap 7, you are SOL no matter what, and probably more ways then one.

But if they do C11 on their own w/o govt interference (make no mistake this money is going to have enough strings attached to consider management marionettes) the govt has no cards in the game and will not cover the warranties.

I ran down to CC and used the couple gift cards I had ASAP. :)

BigAls87Z28
12-15-2008, 07:40 PM
But if they do C11 on their own w/o govt interference (make no mistake this money is going to have enough strings attached to consider management marionettes) the govt has no cards in the game and will not cover the warranties.

I ran down to CC and used the couple gift cards I had ASAP. :)

Well, it would most deffinatly have to come down to that. If the goverment were in fact to let GM go Chap 11, they would have to do enough to keep consumers confident in buying GM. But there is a flaw in that, because of the economy being so ******, why would they buy a GM product?
Chap 11 is not a choice. Any time the BK word hits, things get rough and no one would buy from them.
Do not compare it to the airlines. Compare vs retail stores.
Airlines are just selling a service for about 1/100th or less the price of an average car.

HeadlessNorseman
12-16-2008, 01:53 AM
If pizza hut starts going under, are they going to get a bailout too? i mean, they employ a lot of people, right? Maybe if they built more than 1 or 2 cars worth owning in the last 10 years, they might be doing better. Oops! too late