PDA

View Full Version : Phone questions

BigAls87Z28
12-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Ok, its that time yet again. It is time for a new phone!
Some of you might remember me asking about a phone less then 2 years ago and displaying my interest in the Moto Kzr. I liked the sleek looking phone, it was very light and looked very cool in the white/mirror finish.
The bad was that it lags like a turbo off a Duramax and put on a Geo Metro's 3cyl. I hate it I hate it I hate it so much.

Now, I have a 150 dollar credit with Verizon towards my next phone, so I instantly looked at the Storm. I like the look of it, I like the feel of it. I got to play with one in the super busy and super small Verizon shop at the Freehold Mall. Couldnt really get a great understanding of the phone, but I got to use it for basic opperation. I liked the clicking screen feature, but I noticed that the phone tends to lag when you swap from vertical to landscape. Its no where NEAR as fast as they show on TV. No where near it, and not nearly as fluid as they show.

Next would be a tie between the Dare and the new Samsung Omnia. Several members already have a Dare, and I think its a cool phone, but doesnt have the right feel I was looking for. Its small, as is its screen and the graphics are not nearly as clear and cool as the Storm. Im not sure of any lag on it.
The Omnia is another touch screen phone, and it simulates the iPhone better then anything else. It has a nice feel, but its graphics are kinda meh. It was brand new when I went in there, and I didnt pay much attention to it.

Now, the wild card is that I would...ugh cant belive Im even thinking about this....is that I would switch over to AT&T and get an iPhone.
It feels great, it flows fantastic, its graphics are outstanding, it has tons of goodies for it, and it really really looks outstanding. I got to play with one right after the Storm, and the iPhone really did things better. No lag, no slow down, quick and easy. I liked the cool touch screen with the pinch in/out, and the snap scroll. I like the apps store thing as well. Yes, Storm has an apps store, but is not nearly as big and as vast as the Apple stuff.
Problem I have is that its an Apple product. That means if it breaks, you are SOL. You cannot open it without destroying it, and you have to follow by Apple's rules. I have never had to deal with a single Apple product and dont own anything from them because I dont like the restrictions having an Apple product comes with.
...but that phone is soooo cool. It feels solid, it is very thin, its very small, and its just an attractive looking object when compared to the thicker Storm, and blows the Dare and Omnia away in quality in fit, finish and feel.

Question is, do I stay with Verizon and get the Storm or another phone like it, or do I jump ship and go back to AT&T and get an iPhone? Or does anyone else have any suggestions for a Verizon phone?
I would only switch to AT&T for the iPhone and nothing else.

NastyEllEssWon
12-14-2008, 12:36 AM
iphone ftw. ask saitin on here....his is SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

V
12-14-2008, 12:42 AM
my friend Aaron hated his iphone
Ali hated her iphone

NJ Torque
12-14-2008, 01:46 AM
and iphones cant get picture txts.

qwikz28
12-14-2008, 07:12 AM
i love my blackberry. granted its a curve, but thats because i dont like touch screens. its all preference from here. i could never switch from verizon cause all my friends have it so i text and call unlimitedly unless the person doesn't have verizon.

what does blair have?

bobb1589
12-14-2008, 10:20 AM
i actually just started a new plan with tmobile for the g1 and i am loving it so far... no complaints and right now (until jan 1st) all the apps in the appstore 'android market' are free :)

79CamaroDiva
12-14-2008, 10:24 AM
look into apple care if you're getting hte iphone. apple technical support is amazing, and sure the apple care is a few extra bucks, but so worth it when you have a problem.

I'm in the same boat as you. I want the iphone so bad, but the reason I haven't gotten it yet is because i find it hard to pry myself away from verizon.

BigAls87Z28
12-14-2008, 05:25 PM
i love my blackberry. granted its a curve, but thats because i dont like touch screens. its all preference from here. i could never switch from verizon cause all my friends have it so i text and call unlimitedly unless the person doesn't have verizon.

what does blair have?

Blair has Sprint, and Ill never switch over to that...ever. Same for Tmobile

I really need to sit down and take in the Storm.

bobb1589
12-14-2008, 06:41 PM
i definitely suggest you see if there is a way to test it out when its not strapped to the display tables... might sound weird but for me it made a huge difference on which one i chose when i actually held it like i would naturally...the tie down's they use are bulky and make holding and using the phone awkward

BigAls87Z28
12-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Exactly. I would like to just hold the phone, play with one that doent have a tag on it. I might go over to the Verizon store tomorrow at lunch and see what I can do.

I have also wanted to check this one out.

http://www.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/samsung-omnia-1.jpg

That is the Omnia from Samsung. It has Wifi that the Storm doesnt have, a better camera, and its a lot thinner and smaller.
The thing is the graphics..ugh. The screen is small too, and all the "widgets" clog it up and make it busy.

NJSPEEDER
12-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Al, keep verizon and get something with their direct connect thing. :)

Verizon really does have the best network for talk and text and their data and push to talk networks are growing fast.

PolarBear
12-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Now, I have a 150 dollar credit with Verizon towards my next phone

I found your problem, Verizon puts their own firmware on the phone and it is much slower than Motorola OS phones. I was given a razr2 or 3 or whatever from work and I HATE THE POS.

I would go with someone other than Verizon. They really are bastards for other reasons. I would ONLY say to stay with them because of their NATIONWIDE covereage. If you ever plan on travelling abroad I would say go with a GSM provider.

PolarBear
12-14-2008, 07:19 PM
i actually just started a new plan with tmobile for the g1 and i am loving it so far... no complaints and right now (until jan 1st) all the apps in the appstore 'android market' are free :)

Have to say +1 to this too. My friend likes his G1 and he is always downloading free apps for it.

BigAls87Z28
12-14-2008, 07:24 PM
The Omnia and Storm are both GSM and opperate on 3G networks.
Omnia has Wifi where the Storm does not, the iPhone does have Wifi. That is only helpful if you are NOT in a 3G area, but good chance that if im not in a 3G area, that I there is no Wifi hot spot anywhere. Places like Pensultucky who have yet to grasp indoor plumbing and the fact that they cannot marry cousins probably dont have 3G and/or WiFi.
iPhone has a lot of weaknesses, but since its younger brothers paved teh way over the past decade, people just accept it as the God of smart touch phones.

If the Storm didnt lag, I would have no hesitation. People today saw how fustraited I got with my phone, and I plan on spiking this POS phone like a football come Dec 31st.

ChevyHank
12-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I have never been with anybody but verizon and they have always given me a good deal i think. Of coarse it always seems like every company is scamming us no matter what.

PolarBear
12-14-2008, 07:53 PM
I have never been with anybody but verizon and they have always given me a good deal i think.

It always looks that way until you look into a plan on another carrier and realize they are screwing you without using any sort of lubrication. Verizon was screwing me EVERY month but not until 2 months after the fact because they would send a bill 2 days BEFORE the billing cycle ended. All they wanted was your money, not considering you may have overages thet you wont find out about until 2 months later.

BigAls87Z28
12-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Verizon so far has treated me well.
They called me about 5 months ago saying there was a mistake on my last few bills, and they were going to credit it me some 60 bucks.

Cingular screwed me big time back in college. I called them up telling them I was going to college in Mass, and that my plan's range needed to be extended to include pretty much all of the northeast (thats how far back this goes)
So the rep said, no problem, no price change, and program is the same, 400 mins, free nights and weekends.
Great, cool.
First month in college, my father sends me an email saying to stop using the phone cause my bill was 1500 dollars.
Yeah...
So then we call up, fix it, and they said they would wipe the charges off.
Next month? Bill was 2200 bucks.
Came home for Thanksgiving break, canned the plan. Since both my parents were already on Verizon, that was an easy choice.
The only person I know that isnt on Verizon is my gf because my gf's company has a deal with Sprint.

jims69camaro
12-14-2008, 08:24 PM
i've been with Verizon since my beeper days. i can't shake them. if we're in an area where someone else has trouble connecting or carrying a signal, i just hand them my phone. nationwide long distance, ability to call Costa Rica (in-laws are there right now) and the live TV are things i probably couldn't live without. i've also had an opportunity to use their GPS-based turn-by-turn directions and i wasn't ready for the phone to actually speak up prior to the turn, in time for me to actually make the turn. it must have something to do with speed, too. i've never used their internet. there is nothing on the web that i just have to find out before i get home to my computer. i have used their text service, but i am not dependent on that, either. GPS-based 911 is cool, but i am sure that comes on just about any phone these days.

i am also a subscriber of the 'new every 2' plan, so i can get a new one in a few months. i kind of like this slider, though. the screen has zero scratches on it and it is fairly well lit.

BigAls87Z28
12-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Im gunna have to find out my exactly credit towards a new phone. Im 95% sure its 150 bucks as thats how much the Krz was 2 years ago.
If its 100 bucks...its gunna be real tough.
If its 50 bucks, then Im not even gunna think about it.. after 5 years Im going back to AT&T and Ill get an iPhone.
I got to play with the Storm a bit more today. The one Verizon store I went to was the first store that didnt have a zip tie that held it to the security tag, and goes right across the screen like a belt so you cannot do jack with a touch screen...smart idea.
Anyway, was there for an hour and really got to play with it.
The lag with the acceleraometer is bad compared to iPhone, and its thicker, but I like the overall phone. I love the screen, I love the click screen which is a HUUUUUGE advantage vs any other touch phone including the iPhone.
iPhone just seems to be so much easier to use. Cons about the iPhone is the lack of pix messaging, and the Apple-centric software. Not to mention the hassle of switching over to AT&T from Verizon.
My phone is on its last leg. Its giving me the white screen of death, and I think that is slowly going to just die on me. Now I was talking to friends and talked to a guy at Verizon, and they were talking about an update or a revised one that could come out as soon as 3-6 months. Problem is...the phone I have now wont make it that long.

I also played with the Omnia and while its cool, its screen is junk compared to the Storm, and my brother has had no success with his Glyde.

Tru2Chevy
12-15-2008, 08:30 PM
I am also torn about keeping Verizon and shopping for a new phone soon or jumping to the iPhone. I have a 1st gen iPod touch (basically the iPhone with no phone, external speaker, or camera) and I love it.

I had AT&T in the past and was pretty unhappy, but I know others who have it now and coverage seems to be much improved. Never had any problems with Verizon's coverage.

- Justin

Slo86Bird
12-15-2008, 09:32 PM
DO NOT GET SAMSUNG TOUCHSCREEN!

I HAVE THE DARE AND LOVE IT. my girlfriends dad got the storm and he didnt like it and it wasnt very responsive.

79CamaroDiva
12-16-2008, 11:45 AM
anybody here actually ahve the iphone 3g? any responses to at&t's service, and the 3g service as well? how readily available is teh intraweb on the phone?

Frosty
12-16-2008, 11:55 AM
The only complaint with my DARE is the small screen, other than that I love it. It's overkill for what I use a phone for but it's nice to get the internet if/when I need it and the voice messages you can send rocks.

Tru2Chevy
12-17-2008, 04:58 PM
anybody here actually ahve the iphone 3g? any responses to at&t's service, and the 3g service as well? how readily available is teh intraweb on the phone?

Garrett has both an Edge and 3G iPhone, and he said the coverage around here is pretty complete. With the 3G iPhone you can use the 3G network, the Edge network, or WiFi to access the internet, so the chance of being out of range of all 3 is pretty slim.

- Justin

madness410
12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
i have an iphone...i think somehow they make it faster in the store. because mine is slow sometimes, you would touch a button and it would lag, i don't have that many apps or that many contacts and it still does it. another thing is it doesn't sent picture messages which can such sometimes, but other than that its great, keeps me from getting bored a lot of the times and the battery life is pretty great, unless u have the brightness on full playing games all day. it hasn't let me down except now the screen starts blacking out for some reason, ive had it since august.

3G is awesome, i get on the internet at work where there is no wireless :-)

the data plan is what gets ya though

BigAls87Z28
12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
i have an iphone...i think somehow they make it faster in the store. because mine is slow sometimes, you would touch a button and it would lag, i don't have that many apps or that many contacts and it still does it. another thing is it doesn't sent picture messages which can such sometimes, but other than that its great, keeps me from getting bored a lot of the times and the battery life is pretty great, unless u have the brightness on full playing games all day. it hasn't let me down except now the screen starts blacking out for some reason, ive had it since august.

3G is awesome, i get on the internet at work where there is no wireless :-)

the data plan is what gets ya though

its faster in the store because its hooked up to thier Wifi...

Knipps
12-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Uh Al, that'd only make the internet faster. Not opening the apps/phonebook/etc. faster

redbanditZ28
12-18-2008, 03:09 AM
I'll probably get blasted by everyone on this post, but I really miss the days of people not having cell phones. I can't believe how much of a commodity they have become. Humanity lived without them for the most part up until the mid 1990s and now they are looked at as Christmas presents and a necessity. I just don't understand what draws people into them.

They shouldn't even be called cell phones anymore. They do more than just act as a phone. Also more of a reason for people not to pay attention to what they are doing in classrooms and while driving. Not to say that cell phones don't have their luxury points, but I still miss the days before cell phones and computers. For anyone that grew up as a child before the 1990s, I am sure you remember those days.

I have a cell phone myself, but I don't even use it unless some one calls or I have to make a call, which is rare. My family got it more for reasons of disasters like 9/11, so that we can locate each other at all times. Otherwise, we are not into all this touch screen, computer, video stuff. I just have a basic cell phone that comes free with a verizon contract. I just don't understand why people have to have all these upgrades. I've toyed around with some of my friends' cell phones with all these things, and I wasn't impressed. It all kind of seems like a waste of time unless these things are needed for business purposes. But that is just me.

madness410
12-18-2008, 11:09 AM
its faster in the store because its hooked up to thier Wifi...

nahh not the internet...the phone itself. like if i wanted to look up my contacts, i would hit the contacts button, it would take 6-7 seconds to open, and then like 5 seconds to load all my contacts, i dont even have that many. in the store you push the button and it pops right up.

rscamaro73
12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I have a TMobile Crackberry Curve and its pretty neat, but I dunno if I really NEED all the bells and whistles. I don't NEED the internet all the time, and really don't HAVE TO check emails from it 10 times a day for work.
Other than that....I'm just ticked since TMobile is the WORST carrier in my parent's area (where I plan to move eventually).....there's a tower 3 miles away from the house (its VERY rural) and it seems like we hardly get anything other than a Sprint signal. Verizon is sorta ok for there as well as far as coverage.

Anyhows....I'm getting fed up with TMobile's billing....I get NO bill in the mail, no emails, and get a text that my payment is late. Then for the next 3 days (today is #3) my house fone and cell are getting BOMBED from them wanting to get paid. Just TODAY I get an email saying "my bill is ready to be viewed".

WTF huh ?

Anyhows. I'd do PLENTY of internet research before you buy anything. I'm still thinking of getting a rather cheap fone and selling the Crackberry....I only text and talk to family anyhows....I got this one hoping to put some GPS deal on it and it doesn't do that....plus I got a stand alone GPS now so its getting hard to not justify the smaller bill.....

BigAls87Z28
12-20-2008, 01:58 PM
I am posting from a storm now. I really like it.

bcgetfresh
12-20-2008, 02:29 PM
get the storm.

BigAls87Z28
12-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Ugh...wrench into the mix.

Ok, here it is. The bottom line.

The Storm is 250 bucks. Now, I thought previously that I was getting at least a 100 dollar credit towards a new phone. It is only 50 bucks.
So that brings it down to 200 dollars. Then there is a 50 dollar Debit gift card you get with the phone. So its 150 bucks.
The plan is 99.99 for 450 anytime mins, free nights and weekends, free In Calling which is big

iPhone is 200 bucks with no discounts what so ever.
The plan is 30 bucks for the iPhone data plan, and comperable 450min plan is 39.99. Unlimited texts its 20 bucks extra to bring it to 89.99, 10 bucks cheaper a month then the Verizon plan.
Basicly I make up the 50 dollar credit in 5 months.
With ATT I have roll over, which could be very helpful as no one I know really has AT&T.
Im a little leary on ATT's customer service and coverage. Looking at thier little handy map, the coverage they have for thier 3G network in probably the most populated area in the US isnt that great.

I do get a discount at both ATT and Verizon of 20% off each bill. but I figured that would cancel eachother out.
I thought about just going to the 900 min plan for ATT and not having to worry about paying extra for mins due ot the fact that most people I know are on Verizon or Sprint.

Look for another thread to find out who has what service.

BigAls87Z28
12-21-2008, 09:15 PM
I tired logging in today from an iphone, but for some reason after I hit post, it said I did not have acces to post, and I was signed out.

Dunno if thats iphone problem or the new board software.

I dont like how you cant go landscape for everything in the Iphone like you can in the Storm.
I do like the fluid motions of the iphone over the Storm, but I did notice there was some lag going from portrait to landscape in the iphone. One time it hung up for a while, but nearly as long as the Storm. See, the Storm's problem is that there is no cool feature that buys it time to switch. iPhone has a cool slide look that slides from portrait to landscape. Same with the Omnia. The Storm, it just shifts instantly, without any segway.

Ian
12-21-2008, 11:22 PM
get the storm, I dont want to have to email you pictures (iphone)

sweetbmxrider
12-21-2008, 11:26 PM
thats a tough choice fer sure. iphone has some sick apps. alot are free too.

79CamaroDiva
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM
yeah, whats the deal with iphone not being able to pix message? as an avid apple fan, i have to say, ghey!

BigAls87Z28
12-22-2008, 05:15 PM
yeah, whats the deal with iphone not being able to pix message? as an avid apple fan, i have to say, ghey!

No idea...no idea what so ever. Its a big turn off.
I think that the big sway right now is Verizon's strength in service and reception. I have never dropped a call.
Storm is ahead one point.

Tru2Chevy
12-22-2008, 05:19 PM

While it is crappy, I don't really see it as a big deal. Virtually every phone on the market today is capable of sending and receiving email, so just save your friend's email addy's in your contact list. I have most of my friend's emails saved on my verizon phone and on my iPod Touch. :shrug:

- Justin

BigAls87Z28
12-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Bringing it back for Christmas...

I still dont know which one...

Ian
12-25-2008, 07:54 PM
STORM!!!!

Savage_Messiah
12-25-2008, 08:31 PM
not reading page 2 but with at&t I normally get coverage everywhere, while verizon will lack around here.

Ian
12-25-2008, 09:46 PM
how often is Al in tenafly?

BigAls87Z28
12-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Closest I got was one time I got lost coming back from Pauls.

I have never had a problem with reception Verizon.

Ian
12-26-2008, 12:55 AM
THEN GET THE STORM!!!!!

That's what I'll be getting in February!

BigAls87Z28
12-26-2008, 11:37 PM
WANA BE STORM BUDDIES!?!?!1
Friggin Melissa and her stupid suggestions

Well tonight I threw my Krz at an opposing wall in a small fit of rage against the phone, but mostly cause my brother got on my nerves. It is now the worlds first working 2 piece phone.
The 31st cant come soon enough

79CamaroDiva
12-26-2008, 11:55 PM
the storm isnt nearly as intuitive as the iphone is to work. it took me 5 mins and then had to ask the verizon guy how to unlock the damn thing. then the web navigation is meh. try typing njfboa.org in its browser.

BigAls87Z28
12-27-2008, 12:12 AM
the storm isnt nearly as intuitive as the iphone is to work. it took me 5 mins and then had to ask the verizon guy how to unlock the damn thing. then the web navigation is meh. try typing njfboa.org in its browser.

I did, and I even posted from the Storm at teh Verizon store.
The Verizon guy said that all the storms now have an updaged software package that helps the phone out with the lagging problem, as well as the ones in the store are loaded down with tons of crap.

BigAls87Z28
12-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Ok, so here it is...
My contract doesnt end till May
So that means I either stay with Verizon and get the Storm, Stay with Verizon and just repalce the phone I have till May, or cancel and join up with ATT now.

Ian
12-28-2008, 09:12 PM
if you really want the iphone so bad, just get a free upgrade and wait it out until may when you can switch over without a cancellation fee.

Tsar
12-28-2008, 09:26 PM
the storm isnt nearly as intuitive as the iphone is to work. it took me 5 mins and then had to ask the verizon guy how to unlock the damn thing. then the web navigation is meh. try typing njfboa.org in its browser.Seriously? Top left, there's a button with a lock on it, guess what it does with one click :lol: You can't really blame the phone for not being able to see a button... can you?

Typing seems to be the same as it does on Itouch (at least to me), which I would assume would be the same as Iphone or am I wrong?

I did, and I even posted from the Storm at teh Verizon store.
The Verizon guy said that all the storms now have an updaged software package that helps the phone out with the lagging problem, as well as the ones in the store are loaded down with tons of crap.It is definitely faster after you install upgraded software, you can do it yourself and it only takes about 30 minutes.

BigAls87Z28
12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
It is definitely faster after you install upgraded software, you can do it yourself and it only takes about 30 minutes.

Well that makes me feel much better. Id like to play with an upgraded model...damn it!!

BigAls87Z28
12-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, here it is...today is the day.
Between the fact that everyone that pretty much everyone I know and care about has Verizon. While I like the iPhone a lot, there seems to be more going for the Storm then the iPhone.
Anyone have anything else to say, let me know now...

Tsar
12-31-2008, 09:06 AM
When you bring it home, before you even mess with it go to Options > Advance Options > Wireless Upgrade and follow onscreen directions.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it.

Ian
12-31-2008, 09:11 AM
good move, let me know how you like it.

BigAls87Z28
12-31-2008, 11:51 AM
When you bring it home, before you even mess with it go to Options > Advance Options > Wireless Upgrade and follow onscreen directions.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it.

Yeah, I actually discoverd it at the Verizon store and was like "guess thats how you do it".
Should be here on Monday...lets hope its Friday.

BigAls87Z28
01-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Ok got the phone and I love it. Very fast better than in the store

Tsar
01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
http://www.cellsea.com/ringtons and wallpapers for free.

http://www.bplay.com/Themes and other BB stuff, unfortunately they don't have anything for the Storm yet.

BigAls87Z28
01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Thank you vitals.