PDA

View Full Version : Music "file sharing" to get much more expensive...

2RARE84s
12-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Music industry to team up with ISPs to "crack down" on Music "File Sharing".... Discuss...

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/31678

NJSPEEDER
12-19-2008, 08:21 PM
The millionaires want more money. No big surprise.

2RARE84s
12-19-2008, 08:23 PM
guess I better go get that 1.5TB hard drive and fill it up before this starts happening! :lol:

Iroc-z86
12-19-2008, 08:52 PM
i wonder if it affects torrents...

BonzoHansen
12-19-2008, 08:56 PM
i wonder if it affects LEGAL torrents...That is my question. I don't d/l copyrighted stuff, but I needs my concert recordings....

FIcamaroRE92
12-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Is this saying that using stuff like limewire is now being enforced?, sorry but I didnt understand what was being said in the link.

enRo
12-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Proxy Servers FTW.

BonzoHansen
12-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Proxy Servers FTW.

But if they team up with the ISPs how does a proxy server help? Doesn't the ISP still know who you are?

WildBillyT
12-20-2008, 10:09 AM
W/E.

They will knock one service down and then another will take its place.

I wonder how they will determine which packets are illegal music or video. It's not like they say "ILLEGAL **** FTW" in the TCP header.

enRo
12-20-2008, 10:39 AM
But if they team up with the ISPs how does a proxy server help? Doesn't the ISP still know who you are?

RIAA will have to have an IP address in order to determine who the pirate is... then they can contact their ISP... using a proxy server uses another IP address, so how can they detect you in the first place? For all we know the IP address of the proxy server could be in Texas somewhere.

Tsar
12-20-2008, 10:58 AM
I payed for all my music :shrug:

r0nin89
12-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Eh Soul Seek ftw.

r0nin89
12-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Lol I just thought of some. Big deal stuff a cd's worth of mp3s in a zip file. Prove thats music.

WildBillyT
12-20-2008, 12:33 PM
RIAA will have to have an IP address in order to determine who the pirate is... then they can contact their ISP... using a proxy server uses another IP address, so how can they detect you in the first place? For all we know the IP address of the proxy server could be in Texas somewhere.

And if your ISP issues a dynamic IP, you can just release and renew to get a new one every day and further obfusecate your downloading.

sweetbmxrider
12-20-2008, 12:39 PM
great. just great.

r0nin89
12-20-2008, 12:47 PM
And if your ISP issues a dynamic IP, you can just release and renew to get a new one every day and further obfusecate your downloading.

DSL does this. Cable is a satic IP. Not sure on this new fios stuff.

just an fyi

PolarBear
12-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Generally when you renew you get the same IP. They have similar programs that give out a lease for a MAC address so when you renew you still get the same one
Cable is a satic IP.

Cable CAN have a static, but most of them still give out dynamic

PolarBear
12-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Lol I just thought of some. Big deal stuff a cd's worth of mp3s in a zip file. Prove thats music.

Actually that is quite easy to prove still. If they suspect you are downloading illegal info they can sniff EVERY packet and look at what is contained. They are a lot smarter than you are :nod:

r0nin89
12-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Actually that is quite easy to prove still. If they suspect you are downloading illegal info they can sniff EVERY packet and look at what is contained. They are a lot smarter than you are :nod:

O I know but its not very hard to disguise it or layer the files so the title file is nothing pertaining to music. Your in no way wrong, what ever we the common user can think to do they've figured and planned for.

LTb1ow
12-20-2008, 03:11 PM
So whats the deal with guys in college? I can't see a internet provider shutting down a college....

Or someone that gets a community access deal? coffee shop? I mean kinda out there, but I guess you could download a bit here and there.

And will they do it based on bandwidth you are using? Or just everyone that gets service will be scanned?

What about music you already have illegally?

r0nin89
12-20-2008, 03:14 PM
If this gets serious I'll go to burger king, get lunch and d/l all my music there for the price of lunch.

PS: BK has wifi now if you didnt know lol...

ryanfx
12-20-2008, 03:50 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/19/riaa-finds-its-soul-will-stop-suing-individuals-for-music-pirac/

pound
12-20-2008, 04:59 PM
This is the RIAA/MPIAA's way of circumventing the legal system in this country. Instead of suing individuals for damages in court where they actually have to do work and prove things, they are just going to tell your ISP that they suspect your IP address is distributing their content without a license and your ISP is supposed to send you a few warnings before cutting off your service. This has many negative implications the biggest of them being assumed guilt imo. I have no idea why an ISP would agree to such rubbish as it is a lot more work for them to play middle man and the DMCA relieves service providers from any liability resulting from the actions of their customers. Hopefully we get to find out what ISPs are involved in these back room deals.

Interestingly this exact idea was tried in the Europe by the European counterparts of the RIAA and MPIAA and was soundly trounced by the EU Parliament. Hopefully the same thing happens here.

WildBillyT
12-20-2008, 11:07 PM
So whats the deal with guys in college? I can't see a internet provider shutting down a college....

Or someone that gets a community access deal? coffee shop? I mean kinda out there, but I guess you could download a bit here and there.

And will they do it based on bandwidth you are using? Or just everyone that gets service will be scanned?

What about music you already have illegally?

No, but they will have the college shut off your account so you can't get on their network.

FIcamaroRE92
12-20-2008, 11:12 PM
No, but they will have the college shut off your account so you can't get on their network.

can they do that, since you pay the college $ xx,xxx amount/yr for tuition?

BonzoHansen
12-20-2008, 11:13 PM

Sure, you can't do something illegal on their dime. They throw people out of housing for breaking laws.

WildBillyT
12-20-2008, 11:14 PM

Absolutely. They used to do that at St. Joe's and Villanova all the time.

FIcamaroRE92
12-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Sure, you can't do something illegal on their dime. They throw people out of housing for breaking laws.

ahhhh. I see. I didn't think of that. Forgot the "illegal" part of it :lol:

FIcamaroRE92
12-20-2008, 11:23 PM
If you ask me, I think its just to scare us.... ALOT of people d/l or "share" music with out paying for them, They would cut sooo much connections that they would be loosing Alot of business. just my 2 cents......

sweetbmxrider
12-21-2008, 11:02 AM
it does stir the innocent till proven guilty aspect. i hope someone who gets their service cut has the time, patience, and money to go about suing everyone!

79CamaroDiva
12-21-2008, 01:32 PM
i dont understand whats so hard about paying for music. especially with the ability to buy single songs. you like the song? people worked hard on it. pay the damn dollar for it. not a hard concept. its not about the record companies getting their money, its about the people who worked on that particular song needing to get paid for their education and abilities.

LTb1ow
12-21-2008, 01:35 PM
They have enough money as it is.

79CamaroDiva
12-21-2008, 01:50 PM
They have enough money as it is.

thats probably one of the most naive statements i've read on here.

if someone spends 100s of thousands of dollars on an education to be an electrical engineer, is he supposed to turn around and work for free because people feel that the company he works for "has enough money"?

whats different about audio engineers, studio owners, technicians, all the people behind the scenes that you don't see on album covers?

LTb1ow
12-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Nothing, but I have little of no care for multimillionaires losing some drinking/party money.

enRo
12-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Well, what I do, since i d/l albums, not individual songs, is if I like the album that much, i'll buy a copy. If I dont, i remove it from my hard drive. Most of the music i have on my computer came from CD's that I own.

FIcamaroRE92
12-21-2008, 02:58 PM
its not like the bands arent making any money. The can make about 500k per concert if they play their cards right. Not including all the merchandise they sell, and all the clothing/ guitar/ amp/mic contracts they get. Some rock groups get payed to wear certin brands of clothing. Ex: Korn Used to get paid to wear adidas clothing in the 90's when they were good. and on top of that alot of people still buy their albums for the hell of it.

sweetbmxrider
12-21-2008, 03:36 PM
yeah most artists aren't really hurting in the $$ area. plus piracy can get an individual band more attention then doing it by themselves. someone will show me a song by a group and i'll love it, i'll go get the cd. some of the new crap by the big names sucks so bad, i won't take it for free.

BonzoHansen
12-21-2008, 03:38 PM
the average artist is not a big act.

FIcamaroRE92
12-21-2008, 03:40 PM
yeah most artists aren't really hurting in the $$ area. plus piracy can get an individual band more attention then doing it by themselves. someone will show me a song by a group and i'll love it, i'll go get the cd. some of the new crap by the big names sucks so bad, i won't take it for free.

Like the new GnR? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

sweetbmxrider
12-21-2008, 03:50 PM
:nod: exactly!

SteveR
12-26-2008, 01:19 AM
That is my question. I don't d/l copyrighted stuff, but I needs my concert recordings....

there is no such thing as legal torrents. Live material is also copyrighted material. When a band signs a contract, the label also owns all rights to live performances, so concerts are also technically the property of the label. I really don't agree in this area, and I have tons of live material.

SteveR
12-26-2008, 01:20 AM
It's amusing to see everybody talking about how people aren't hurting for money in the music business, yet none of you are in it.

BonzoHansen
12-26-2008, 09:41 AM
there is no such thing as legal torrents. Live material is also copyrighted material. When a band signs a contract, the label also owns all rights to live performances, so concerts are also technically the property of the label. I really don't agree in this area, and I have tons of live material.

Some bands are very trader friendly, and in fact encourage it. Gov't mule is a great example. Even ole led wallet jimmy page says he has no problems with audience recordings being shared (sold is a different argument).

SteveR
12-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Some bands are very trader friendly, and in fact encourage it. Gov't mule is a great example. Even ole led wallet jimmy page says he has no problems with audience recordings being shared (sold is a different argument).

Yep, a lot of bands encourage fans to record their shows, and don't really support the label ownership of their live performances. Pearl jam is another good example, as is Phish, Greatful Dead, System of a Down, 311, and a lot of others.

TheBandit
12-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Nothing, but I have little of no care for multimillionaires losing some drinking/party money.

Too the bigger artists. If you pirate mainstream songs that artist loses $.xx amount of money. Matt Embree said it in an interview. Less known bands like the RX Bandits who produce their own music are actually losing dollar amounts, not fractions of a dollar. I pay 15.00 a month with my Zune and get unlimited songs. Seems good enough for me.