PDA

View Full Version : effen ice!

shane27
12-24-2008, 03:55 PM
was on my way to work this morning taking a newer route, so i don't know the road so well. went around this bend and started feeling my car not wanting to turn and she started to slide. came about a foot from a telephone pole but i managed to steer the car away from it and into about a foot of snow, which got my car stuck. of course there is no cell service on this road so i was stranded for a little bit till this guy passes. he stops and asks if i need any help and i said yeah my phone has no service and im trying to get to work and my car is stuck.

he told me to hop in, so i said **** it ill do it live and i hoped in Barry's car . he introduced himself right away and drove me up the road where i could get service. turns out this guy was a jahova whitness and brought me to their little church where he let me use their phone. i called AAA and they said they would be at my car in 2 hours, so i asked barry to drive me back to my car where the ringwood police and a tow truck were already on the scence and had just pulled my car out. the cop was not to happy with me but i did nothing wrong so i paid the tow truck (45 bucks) and went to work only being 40 minutes late.

cliffnotes: almost crashed car, johova whitness helped me, ice and winter suck, got to work within the hour.

JL8Jeff
12-24-2008, 04:03 PM
ice = do not drive! My driveway was a sheet of ice this morning so no way to go down safely without going across the road and into the trees. I worked from home until 10:30 and my road was still really icy on the downhill and uphill portions and near the bends in the road. No job is worth risking it to drive in. Way too many accidents today which ruined many people's holiday.

GP99GT
12-24-2008, 04:12 PM
aye...i drove in it all morning in a 11,000lb truck :lol:

shane27
12-24-2008, 04:25 PM
i would of called in but i just started in this branch. i probably should of came in later now that i think of it.

JL8Jeff
12-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Portions of I95 were closed late last night and this morning because of black ice on the overpasses causing accidents. I've hit black ice at 35-40 mph a couple of times and gotten sideways and gone back and forth and saved it each time. I have no intention of going through that ever again. The scariest was in a 1988 4Runner in 4WD! I hit the black ice and was completely sideways at 40 mph and staring at 5-6 foot snowdrifts on either side of the narrow road. I hit the clutch and steered the slide back and let out the clutch just as it got straight and it grabbed traction. I thought we were going to roll over if we hit dry pavement while going sideways. It was a good test of the old heart! :shock:

Predator86
12-24-2008, 05:16 PM
im normally pretty good with the ice in my car...my mistake was trying to make a K turn in a back road....yep i got stuck

FBODS4EVER
12-24-2008, 06:30 PM
yea those witnesses. i used to hitch a ride to work when i was 18 in florida. everyday it was always a witness. id have to listen to preaching 25mi to work everyday. but heh. the ride was free.:mrgreen:

maroman88
12-24-2008, 08:43 PM
i worked the midnite tour this morning... about 430am rolled around and rt 80, 78 and 287 were all shut down by the troopers due to major accidents. newark pd had approx 40 cars piled up on the pulasky skyway and a person was apparently thrown off the bridge. rt80 west in the area of hackensack had 3 tracker trailers jack knifed, all before 6am! i banged out the DPW around 545am

enRo
12-24-2008, 10:58 PM
I busted my ass 4 times at work today because of the ice. I then saw a young kid slide his WRX into a snowbank and watched the hood and front bumper crunch. AWD will NOT help you in an ice storm. I LOL'd.