PDA

View Full Version : got my first ticket

bobb1589
12-27-2008, 07:59 AM
so i kinda spun my tires a little coming out of a red light (when it turned green of course) and sped off a little bit but eventually slowed down... about half a mile down the road i see this car coming up real quick behind me and by then i already knew who it was... lights come on and im being pulled over... cop takes my license as well as the licenses of two of my friends that were in the car.. why i dont know... in the mean time 2 other cars pull up and ends up being 4 cops total there.. apparently they "smelled marijuana" and asked me to step out of the car... patted me down and then ask me if i know if any of the passengers had anythingo n them and i said not that i know of... they continue to pat me down again and then both of my friends and then searched my car... now take in mind that not one of us smoke... in the end my friend had to drive me home because i am 19 but i havent upgraded to my provisional just because of lazines... i got a ticket for careless...any suggestions on what to do? a friend told me to go to court plead guilty and just explain that it was my first ticket etc. and that they will drop the points and just make me pay the fine... the cops were nice and all i just thought it was a little excessive to search the car and pat all of us down..(it was hamilton twp cops btw)

ShitOnWheels
12-27-2008, 08:27 AM
so i kinda spun my tires a little coming out of a red light (when it turned green of course) and sped off a little bit but eventually slowed down... about half a mile down the road i see this car coming up real quick behind me and by then i already knew who it was... lights come on and im being pulled over... cop takes my license as well as the licenses of two of my friends that were in the car.. why i dont know... in the mean time 2 other cars pull up and ends up being 4 cops total there.. apparently they "smelled marijuana" and asked me to step out of the car... patted me down and then ask me if i know if any of the passengers had anythingo n them and i said not that i know of... they continue to pat me down again and then both of my friends and then searched my car... now take in mind that not one of us smoke... in the end my friend had to drive me home because i am 19 but i havent upgraded to my provisional just because of lazines... i got a ticket for careless...any suggestions on what to do? a friend told me to go to court plead guilty and just explain that it was my first ticket etc. and that they will drop the points and just make me pay the fine... the cops were nice and all i just thought it was a little excessive to search the car and pat all of us down..(it was hamilton twp cops btw)

I just recently had my first ticket. I wasn't going to go to court and I'd just deal with the points and all, but got convinced to go to court. You go in, ask to speak with the prosecutor (at the court I went to they had us all line up along the wall to speak with him one by one). I went in, and all he said was "I can reduce this to unsafe, no points, $430 fine." I said ok, he signed off on it. I go back outside and wait for the judge to call my case ("State vs. myname" is very intimidating lol). He says what the ticket was for, says the prosecutor is reducing it, how do I plead to the new charge, made sure I wasn't being forced or coerced to plead guilty, and said have a nice day. Just make sure you bring either money/checkbook, not all courts take credit card (as I found out, and had to return the next day with the money - but they aren't always so nice about letting you go to the next day).

It was actually pretty simple. The judge saw it was my first moving violation (in the 9 years I've been driving), and was even more willing to let me go to the next day. He didn't let another younger male do the same though before me. Just remember to dress nice, and say yes sir/no sir or use your honor.

NastyEllEssWon
12-27-2008, 08:28 AM
ive mentioned this many many many times about hamilton cops. THEY SEARCH EVERYTIME FOR NO REASON. there needs to be something done about these hamilton cops i swear to god. THEYRE ALL SCUMBAGS. EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF THEM.

creeper
12-27-2008, 08:42 AM
that sucks man. cops around me always think everyone's drinking. first question is always "who's been drinking tonight?"

CivicEaterLT1
12-27-2008, 09:08 AM
when i got pulled over for the first time i handed the guy my license and i had a MCLOVIN fake llicense on my lap when i emptied my wallet lol. he was like "what the hell is that" and asked to look at it and show the other cop ****s haha. i felt mad gay lol. i got pulled oer for doing a burnout after school right down street from a cop lol 2 points $85 lol

Mike
12-27-2008, 09:29 AM
ive mentioned this many many many times about hamilton cops. THEY SEARCH EVERYTIME FOR NO REASON. there needs to be something done about these hamilton cops i swear to god. THEYRE ALL SCUMBAGS. EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF THEM.

awesome

MonmouthCtyAntz
12-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Sounds like the typical ********* cop. Never know what type your gonna get...For the most part there good guys as long as you dont bust there balls.

DaSkinnyGuy
12-27-2008, 10:23 AM
After not living in NJ for 4 months ive realized how strict NJ police are. i rarely see a cop in NC. Also i know i got away with to much in NJ.

sweetbmxrider
12-27-2008, 10:27 AM
i would honestly respect them every time. they have more than enough power to make your life hell so why be a dick?

there should be a sticky on the "just got a ticket, wtf do i do?" process

JL8Jeff
12-27-2008, 10:31 AM

If you don't like cops keeping your neighborhood safe, then move out of the state! If you do something wrong(like the OP did), then they have every right to be suspicious and search. Figure it out before you spew the same anti-cop speech every time. :-x

deadtrend1
12-27-2008, 10:35 AM
"These (expletive deleted) cops who are pulling people are can eat our (expletive deleted) then (expletive deleted) out our (expletive deleted) then eat their (expletive deleted) which is made up of our (expletive deleted) that we made them eat."

NastyEllEssWon
12-27-2008, 10:53 AM
"These (expletive deleted) cops who are pulling people are can eat our (expletive deleted) then (expletive deleted) out our (expletive deleted) then eat their (expletive deleted) which is made up of our (expletive deleted) that we made them eat."

rofl

and jeff ive been searched for no reason because i i had a blinker out and didnt know it. i responded respectfully. provided all paperwork and told them that my blinker being out was new to me. i also have been pulled over going to my sisters house, in a less than reputable area, and been asked by a hamilton Narc ''why am i in this area.'' i was also detained and searched for no reason at which time the narc picked up a bit of leaves off the carpet of my car and said ''THIS LOOKS LIKE MARIJUANA DEBRIS.'' they brought out the dog to sniff around my trunk and everything. 1 hour and 15 minutes later i get to stop at my sisters house (around the corner) to drop off some money she needed.

i have had too many bad experiences with overly zealous hamilton cops. they all think they have the right to search any vehicle they want. I can name a bunch of the cops too. I even went to high school with one of them. Theyre trained to act like they have their sidearm baton between their cheeks. Everyone is also a liar according to them too.

madness410
12-27-2008, 11:02 AM

dont say that man..they are just doing their jobs. they put their lives on the line everyday for us.

69BirdX
12-27-2008, 11:38 AM
All cops think people are lying. Why??? Cause 99.9 % of them do lie. Sucks for the people who arent but you cant blame the police

baddest434
12-27-2008, 11:48 AM
i got pulled over, i got a ticket, cops suck threads should all be :ban:
all those threads do is show the ignorance of some members on here.
don't do anything wrong they don't bother you it's that simple!

bad64chevelle
12-27-2008, 11:49 AM

I'm not going to lie, Ive had Hamilton cops be ass hats to me on the few encounters I have had with them and I was nothing but respectful and actually only once I had a violation (however the road was wet and I had to lock the brakes up because of a faulty street light) but I know a few Hamilton cops and they are legit down to earth people. I know every Township, City, State, etc has its select few of individuals but to say they are all scumbags is only ignorant, and incorrect. I agree with Jeff, if you're going to bitch about the cops in your town, I only wonder what you would say if you genuinely needed their help.

LTb1ow
12-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Same thing happened to me, cept for booze, and I had booze. lol. I got off with nothing. They just dumped my booze in front of me.
But yea, bulletproff vests, combat gear etc. Lots of cops. Crazyness.

Mike
12-27-2008, 12:15 PM
rofl

and jeff ive been searched for no reason because i i had a blinker out and didnt know it. i responded respectfully. provided all paperwork and told them that my blinker being out was new to me. i also have been pulled over going to my sisters house, in a less than reputable area, and been asked by a hamilton Narc ''why am i in this area.'' i was also detained and searched for no reason at which time the narc picked up a bit of leaves off the carpet of my car and said ''THIS LOOKS LIKE MARIJUANA DEBRIS.'' they brought out the dog to sniff around my trunk and everything. 1 hour and 15 minutes later i get to stop at my sisters house (around the corner) to drop off some money she needed.

i have had too many bad experiences with overly zealous hamilton cops. they all think they have the right to search any vehicle they want. I can name a bunch of the cops too. I even went to high school with one of them. Theyre trained to act like they have their sidearm baton between their cheeks. Everyone is also a liar according to them too.

tell them no....know your rights, dont blame them for doing their jobs.......

you cry more about cops than some murderers i know

Camvill
12-27-2008, 12:17 PM
dam yo walt told me about this last night thats beat.

shane27
12-27-2008, 12:44 PM
cops are out of control. this is just another good example

LTb1ow
12-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Why is it that the people that break the laws have the biggest problem with cops?

GP99GT
12-27-2008, 12:58 PM
one time i had to unwrap a tin foil ball that was in my center console...it was from a bagel i had earlier and i squeezed it so tight, and i was really drunk when we got pulled over (i wasnt driving) and i couldnt open it for the life of me...he gave up :lol:

ryanfx
12-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Why is it that the people that break the laws have the biggest problem with cops?

LOL QFT

NJSPEEDER
12-27-2008, 01:47 PM
so i kinda spun my tires a little coming out of a red light (when it turned green of course) and sped off a little bit but eventually slowed down

OP spun the tires and exceeded the speed limit and is also young. The officer had good reason to pull him over. As far as pat down and search, that is going to happen when you are young. Statistically, more young people operate under the influence and that is something the police are taught to take into account.

If you think doing something overtly illegal and getting pulled over is an example of police out of control, you are missing the point of their place in society. The police go on patrol an do traffic stops to protect the rest of us from those who are bad drivers or under the influence.

Lt1_8U
12-27-2008, 02:54 PM
its funny when people are pulled over and recieve a ticket for breaking the law they complain...its very simple, DONT BREAK THE LAW

ive gotten pulled over many times just because i'm young and i have a loud black trans am. not once have i gotten a ticket because I do not break the law(most of the time) and im not an ********* to the officer pulling me over. Occasionally you get an officer that seems like a JO but you still act respectufully and they will show that respect back by not giving you a ticket

creeper
12-27-2008, 03:21 PM
/\ surprised you haven't gotten at least a few tickets living in north haledon. i've been pulled over 3 times on bikes/scooters alone and i don't even live there. i've seen you drive rip it by EC and on north haledon ave a few times haha. i'm shocked i've gotten away with no front plate for so long.

Lt1_8U
12-28-2008, 12:27 AM
/\ surprised you haven't gotten at least a few tickets living in north haledon. i've been pulled over 3 times on bikes/scooters alone and i don't even live there. i've seen you drive rip it by EC and on north haledon ave a few times haha. i'm shocked i've gotten away with no front plate for so long.

it got ripped off:shifty:

haha sometimes i accidentally hit the petal too hard :mrgreen:

miketa95
12-28-2008, 12:41 AM
You lucked out man. I did the same thing as you, peeled away from a light without speeding when I first upgraded from a v6 Camaro to a v8 trans am. The cop pulls me over, and is seriously yelling at me "WHAT THE F*** DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!" He gave me wreckless driving, mandatory court appearance, and when I went to tell the prosecutor that I just learned to drive stick and i spun the tires, which was a lie anyway, the cop sitting with her was like "no, officer (whoever) told me you did a burnout for a solid two minutes." unfortunately for me, that was a lie too, and it was only reduced to careless.

Dark_Knight7096
12-28-2008, 12:47 PM

Watch yourself dude. Hamilton cops are not all scumbags and they can't "search for no reason." They can ask your permission to search and you can say yes, or you can say no. If you say yes, you're an idiot. If you say no, they can detain you until they get a warrant (highly unlikely), they can call a judge and get a warrant issued on the spot (highly unlikely), they can let you go at that (unlikely), or they will ask you why you are not willing to consent to a search (most likely). At that point you tell them that, "My lawyer has told me to not consent to any search of my person or property without either them present or a warrant." That is it.

With an attitude like yours it's no wonder cops act like dicks to you.

Seriously 95% of your posts make my head hurt and would make me act like a scumbag towards you.

Dark_Knight7096
12-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Theyre trained to act like they have their sidearm baton between their cheeks.

Question. What is a sidearm baton? Do you mean "sidearm" or do you mean "baton"? Or do you have no idea what your talking about and mean "side handled baton" AKA PR24?

PS if the car smells like marijuana to the cop, that's probable cause, he's going to search that, there's nothing you can do there.

creeper
12-28-2008, 01:01 PM
it got ripped off:shifty:

haha sometimes i accidentally hit the petal too hard :mrgreen:

haha yeah they'd believe that

i have the same problem. muscle spasms in my calf wink wink.

that explains the tire marks all over town.

bobb1589
12-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Question. What is a sidearm baton? Do you mean "sidearm" or do you mean "baton"? Or do you have no idea what your talking about and mean "side handled baton" AKA PR24?

PS if the car smells like marijuana to the cop, that's probable cause, he's going to search that, there's nothing you can do there.

but if there is no way in hell it smells like it doesnt make sense to me...no one has ever smoked in my car... either way i respectful with all 4 of the cops that were there... the one guy was being a dick the other three were cool...i think this guy just had a bad night or something but regardless i was still respectful... so what do you guys think i am looking at, do you think i can get away with no points and paying the $85 ticket plus the court fees? i hope so im a poor college kid :-?

Tru2Chevy
12-28-2008, 07:26 PM
If you want no points, it's gonna cost you more money. But prolly less money than you'll pay in insurance rate increases if you get the points.

- Justin

NastyEllEssWon
12-28-2008, 07:47 PM
a few points....

I dont smoke. I dont let people smoke in my car. Previous owner of my car wasnt a smoker. It is impossible for the inside of my car to smell like marijuana.

I had a friend that said no to a search. The judge issued a warrant to search the car based upon his refusal to allow police to search. They proceded to rip up the interior of his car because they had to wait so long. Yup you guessed it. Hamilton cops again.

yes sidehandle baton. sidearm baton was a momentary lapse of ''lack of better words or descriptions.

Martin I understand that you get it easy from the cops because your father is one and therefore pretty much get a free pass. Most other people get the shaft from police officers from the rip.

Seriously....getting pulled over for ''being in this area'' is pretty weak sauce

bobb1589
12-28-2008, 08:14 PM
If you want no points, it's gonna cost you more money. But prolly less money than you'll pay in insurance rate increases if you get the points.

- Justin

thanks. it looks like if i want no points ill have to pay around 4-500$. Apparently my sister had a careless driving ticket that she just told me about that she had to pay like $4-500 for so that my parents didnt find out and the insurance didnt go up. so I definitely want to keep it out of the parents radar so i guess im going to have to fork over the cash...unless i can pull some strings with some friends / family members who are cops / good friends with cops/ or are related... most likely will have to pay it though :cry: i guess its a lesson learned

Mike
12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
a few points....

I dont smoke. I dont let people smoke in my car. Previous owner of my car wasnt a smoker. It is impossible for the inside of my car to smell like marijuana.

I had a friend that said no to a search. The judge issued a warrant to search the car based upon his refusal to allow police to search. They proceded to rip up the interior of his car because they had to wait so long. Yup you guessed it. Hamilton cops again.

yes sidehandle baton. sidearm baton was a momentary lapse of ''lack of better words or descriptions.

Martin I understand that you get it easy from the cops because your father is one and therefore pretty much get a free pass. Most other people get the shaft from police officers from the rip.

Seriously....getting pulled over for ''being in this area'' is pretty weak sauce

wrong....... MOST people dont have problems with police... not saying your experiences arent happening, but your reversing majority/minority again

79T/A
12-29-2008, 08:00 AM

Really?

OP, this being your first offense, it will likely be pled down to "Unsafe operation of a motor vehicle." It's a subsection of Careless Driving minus the points, and yes, it will cost you between $400 and $450 depending on the court costs in Hamilton.

bobb1589
12-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Really?

OP, this being your first offense, it will likely be pled down to "Unsafe operation of a motor vehicle." It's a subsection of Careless Driving minus the points, and yes, it will cost you between $400 and $450 depending on the court costs in Hamilton.

Thanks, what is the process of doing this? Going to Court on the date, plead guilty, explain that it is my first offense etc, pay the fine?

79T/A
12-29-2008, 08:09 AM
The normal procedure is to call the court first (Number should be on the back of the ticket) and let them know you want to appear and plead not guilty. They will most likely schedule you a new court date other than the one on the ticket. Then talk to the prosecutor; they will most likely offer it to you. If they don't, ask about it. Bring money as most judges won't do payment plans for this as they consider it a huge break.

JerzLT1
12-30-2008, 05:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb-XRi-iewo

HeadlessNorseman
01-05-2009, 12:06 PM
so I definitely want to keep it out of the parents radar so i guess im going to have to fork over the cash...unless i can pull some strings with some friends / family members who are cops / good friends with cops/ or are related... most likely will have to pay it though :cry: i guess its a lesson learned

1. when you call to plead not guilty, theyll send an envelope to your house than anyone who has gone to court before will recognize immediatley.

2. Once the ticket is written, and in the system, it would take a very good connection to get out of it. like your dad being the judge. The only way "knowing people" helps is before you get the ticket. Your choices are 2 pts and 85$, and like stated 400-450 and no points. Never take the points. But also, you can only do that once within a 1 year period and twice within 5 years or something like that. I havent gotten a ticket in a while. So next time, you are stuck with the points

3. 99% of tickets are just plain ignorance. I hated the cops here for so long till i finally relized through my dad losing his license because of ignorance, that it is just that. They will do anything they can to make sure you and other people dont DUI, including going over the top. It is more important than it seems and untill you or someone close to you is injured or killed by a DUI driver, you will prob not truly understand how important it is for them to act like they do.

bobb1589
01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
ahh im confused... do i plead guilty or not guilty? and do i have to call ahead?

WildBillyT
01-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Gee, in a town next to the friggin cocaine capital of NJ they are overly careful about drugs? No kidding.

I got surrounded and had a team of cops draw pistols and shotguns on me and my buddy in a Chili's parking lot when I lived in Philly. They thought the timing gun was a real gun and that we were engaging in armed robbery. I got hassled for about an hour complete with an automotive search that involved removing the rear seat and a bunch of other crap. Did I care? No. Because they were doing their job and I'd rather be they be too careful then not careful enough.

Yeah, they hassled you about having weed. But with so much drugs running through the state, especially through there, it's kind of expected that they would try and crack down. I would be surprised if they didn't knock it down to an unsafe driving/0 point deal. You will want to talk to the prosecutor when you go to court that day. Dress in business casual so you don't look like a scumbag or like a con artist.

bobb1589
01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I understand that, but they had no reason to suspect that I had weed. I do not smoke and neither do my friends. No one has ever smoked in my car. The officer was just being completely stereotypical of someone of my age. I do not have a record for anything.

So, do I call ahead and plead not guilty OR do I show up to court, plead not guilty there and then talk to the prosecutor.

79T/A
01-05-2009, 01:52 PM
So, do I call ahead and plead not guilty OR do I show up to court, plead not guilty there and then talk to the prosecutor.

You have to call ahead to plead not guilty and appear in court. Then on the date they give you over the phone, you go and talk to the prosecutor. Wearing a shirt and tie goes a long way with most judges and prosecutors, too.

NastyEllEssWon
01-05-2009, 01:54 PM
they use suspicion of drugs as an excuse to search any car they feel like it. if you refuse they will get a warrant and tear your car to shreds with no liability for anything they bust at all. hamilton cops never ''smell marijuana'' they just think everyone young must have pot.

bobb1589
01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
You have to call ahead to plead not guilty and appear in court. Then on the date they give you over the phone, you go and talk to the prosecutor. Wearing a shirt and tie goes a long way with most judges and prosecutors, too.

Thanks, I think you gave me advice before, but hearing some things from people got me confused. I just wanted to make sure I did everything right.

Dark_Knight7096
01-05-2009, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=NastyEllEssWon;527743

Martin I understand that you get it easy from the cops because your father is one and therefore pretty much get a free pass. Most other people get the shaft from police officers from the rip.[/QUOTE]

No I just don't get pulled over. From your posts about wanting to drive around and cruise and street race cause you don't wanna go to the track it's no wonder you have met the cops around here many times.

Do you know anything about what you are talking about? Do you know how rarely judges issue bench warrants on stuff like that anymore? Refuse the search, yes they can get a warrant but they can't destroy your property. Take 2 seconds to research before you open your mouth. You'll still make my eye twitch just not as much.

sweetbmxrider
01-05-2009, 03:23 PM
You'll still make my eye twitch just not as much.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rof l::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl::rofl:

bobb1589
01-05-2009, 03:37 PM
No I just don't get pulled over. From your posts about wanting to drive around and cruise and street race cause you don't wanna go to the track it's no wonder you have met the cops around here many times.

Do you know anything about what you are talking about? Do you know how rarely judges issue bench warrants on stuff like that anymore? Refuse the search, yes they can get a warrant but they can't destroy your property. Take 2 seconds to research before you open your mouth. You'll still make my eye twitch just not as much.

ahh martin and this is why i miss blockbuster haha... i just ignored his post... i do think that i was unjustly searched but i mean i dont hate them for doing it i just think it was a waste of mine and the 4 officers time to do this

NJSPEEDER
01-05-2009, 03:42 PM
they use suspicion of drugs as an excuse to search any car they feel like it. if you refuse they will get a warrant and tear your car to shreds with no liability for anything they bust at all. hamilton cops never ''smell marijuana'' they just think everyone young must have pot.

Your chain of events seems more and more far fetched every time you go into it. I have been driving through Hamilton for a few decades now and have been pulled over more times than I can count and never had a tenth of the issues you are talking about.

I don't know what you do to get pulled over or what you are saying, but if you are catching this much crap either you pissed someone off in the past or you are doing something to draw attention to yourself.

BTW, I have dealt with a few cops who were tools before and yes, I have had my car searched before.(I gave consent) But those instances are few and far between. I can't see you being the only person in all of Hamilton being picked on and no one else I know even coming back with a story.

HeadlessNorseman
01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Maybe its the car. Or the driver. I have long hair, piercings, and drive sports cars...and i get my plates ran all the time and pulled over all the time too. Once they see i have a clean record and am paid up they leave me alone. And i live in a very bad drug area too, but it does help to be white, no offense, and to have a white-part-of-town address

LTb1ow
01-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Maybe its the car. Or the driver. I have long hair, piercings, and drive sports cars...and i get my plates ran all the time and pulled over all the time too. Once they see i have a clean record and am paid up they leave me alone. And i live in a very bad drug area too, but it does help to be white, no offense, and to have a white-part-of-town address

:rofl: You gotta have a hot car to get pulled over in LB.

BonzoHansen
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
It's the shoes

Mike
01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
but it does help to be white, no offense, and to have a white-part-of-town address

so that must mean you have had another color skin at some point, and know how each race is treated personally? :shrug:

Dark_Knight7096
01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
http://www.brianculler.com/images/dumbbitch2.jpg

NastyEllEssWon
01-05-2009, 11:55 PM
3 different times i am speaking of just last year that has happened to me.

first got the camaro, still had the pink card in the window. pulled over because my card ''looked too faded. (3 days old)'' proceded to run everything. my license is clean, no points (use it for work) and registration and insurance are valid (again 3 days old). I was told that my car smelled like marijuana and they asked to search. I let them search. they searched my car over and over for an hour and found nothing.

pulled over two days later for ''failure to signal''. i explained to the officer how i just bought the vehicle and havent had a chance to look it over. i also respectfully told the officer that i would gladly take the ticket and pay for it because its not a big deal. once again ''your car smells like marijuana'' blah blah. same result

3. this is like 2 months ago. driving down chambers street from cedar lane towards liberty. hamilton narc pulls behind me and flashes his emergencies, so i go to let him pass and he pulls behind me. so i continue a block down the road to pull over in the gulf gas station on liberty and chambers because i dont trust whats going on. he explains to me that '' I dont belong in this neighborhood, this isnt where I should be and that I must be there to cop drugs.'' I explain it to the police officer that I grew up in that neighborhood, am visiting with my sister and asked him why dont i ''belong'' here. he then put my in handcuffs for ''his saftey'' ''im not arresting im detaining'' and then he searched my car for over an hour. during that hour two other narcotics officers show up to help toss my car over. i was told for almost two hours that the leaves on the floor of my car was ''marijuana debris'' and then asked where the pot is and then when they were done violating every single last one of my civil rights i asked for the cops badge number and he said ''**** you i dont have to tell you ****'' and drove off

so yeah hamilton cops are garbage. one of the cops was someone i went to high school with too and i know who they are. so before you go saying that it must just be me....its not. i know about 6 other people this has happened to. all different ages and races and looks too

Mike
01-05-2009, 11:58 PM
hmm never happened to me or anyone i know that grew up here?

NJSPEEDER
01-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Story #1 Police check the pink cards all the time because people fake them regularly

Story #2 If I pulled you over and you gave me a smart ass answer about just taking the ticket, I would have busted your balls too

Story #3 You once again managed to ask the cop a smart ass question. Were his statements appropriate, no, but if he is already giving you attitude you should be smart enough to keep your mouth shut before you take the shovel and complete digging the hole he lead you to.

I don't know what you consider respectful or rude when dealing with an authority figure. It is however clear, just through the way you tell these stories, that there is some sort of chip on your shoulder when dealing with the police. I don't know if you noticed in life, but it is always the person who makes the scene that gets "picked on" or "singled out"

HeadlessNorseman
01-06-2009, 12:10 AM
so that must mean you have had another color skin at some point, and know how each race is treated personally? :shrug:

No but i do have friends who are and are treated very differently. I dont agree with it, but it really doesnt matter because they are just trying to keep the streets safe, and i understand that. trust me im not on the other end of that argument

CamaroGirlie
01-06-2009, 08:57 AM
hmm never happened to me or anyone i know that grew up here?

HMMMM. I believe you are correct sir. Not a single person I know has had a problem with cops in Hamilton. And this isn't because my father is a lawyer in Hamilton or because my boyfriends father is a Hamilton cop. I have been pulled over for speeding in a BMW, an Altima, a Camaro, a Mustang and a Grand Prix and was never given ****. I was pulled over for running a red light. I was polite and the police officer let me go with a warning. I was pulled over with an expired registration sticker, I cried and got a ticket lol. Each time I was pulled over I never gave them my PBA or FOP card and I only received one ticket. I even got loud with a cop and I received awritten warning. That time I did use my PBA card, but I got it back. Never once was I searched or trated like crap by any cop. Hamilton, trooper or what not.

bobb1589
01-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Hey guys, back on topic a little bit... I just realized that I was supposed to call 7 days ahead of time. Can I show up in court and plead not guilty without calling?

WildBillyT
01-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Hey guys, back on topic a little bit... I just realized that I was supposed to call 7 days ahead of time. Can I show up in court and plead not guilty without calling?

If it says to call I would do so, just to stay on the up and up. I think you also need to call so that they put you on the schedule.

bobb1589
01-06-2009, 09:44 AM
i had to call by today and I don't have the ticket on me... looks like im going out for lunch

HeadlessNorseman
01-06-2009, 09:59 AM
You can go at the date on your ticket, but when you talk to the prosecutor he will ask you if you plead guilty or not and they will just make you a new date.

bobb1589
01-06-2009, 10:05 AM
so i am just better off calling?

CamaroGirlie
01-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Wow....court sure has changed a lot since the last time I went....all I had to do was look at the date on the ticket, go to court that day, plead not guilty, have my lawyer talk to the prosecuter to lower the charges, go back to the judge, plead guilty to the lower charges, pay my fine and leave. Has it really been that long? Lol

bobb1589
01-06-2009, 10:46 AM
well... my friend who got a careless driving ticket said he didnt call, just show up on the date... plead not guilty...the prosecutor will lower it...pay the fine... so i am hearing so many different things from different people its frustrating / stressful

Mike
01-06-2009, 10:53 AM
if they want you to call, it will say on the ticket in the fine print......"if you plan on pleading not guilty, please call the court clerk at xxx-xxxx and inform the court of your intentions"

if it dosent say that, then just go on the date.....

its much easier than asking people on a forum 40 times, as your bound to get 40 different opinions

bobb1589
01-06-2009, 12:01 PM
yeah, i just went home for lunch and got the ticket, it says if i plan to plead not guilty to call, so i just called... they said they will mail me something with the new court date

Mike
01-06-2009, 12:03 PM
problem solved

KirkEvil
01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
I got pulled over for "not putting my signal on early enough before turning" going from 25mph road to a side street. He then came up and asked me for my license etc, so I unbuckled myself and got it from the glove compartment. He then told me I wasnt wearing a seatbelt. I explained that I just took it off infront of him to reach the glovebox. He said, "oh I couldnt see that you had it on through the rear tinted window". Pretty annoyed at this point, I turned around, looked at my window, then looked at him at said there are no tints on any of my windows.

bobb1589
01-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I got pulled over for "not putting my signal on early enough before turning" going from 25mph road to a side street. He then came up and asked me for my license etc, so I unbuckled myself and got it from the glove compartment. He then told me I wasnt wearing a seatbelt. I explained that I just took it off infront of him to reach the glovebox. He said, "oh I couldnt see that you had it on through the rear tinted window". Pretty annoyed at this point, I turned around, looked at my window, then looked at him at said there are no tints on any of my windows.

if this was RowPo then they have an obsession with pulling people over for not using their blinkers... they "pulled" me over once when i was parked in a parking lot at Mimosa picking up a friend...nonetheless 4 RowPo showed up because they have nothing better to do (you know like maybe protecting the students from getting mugged)...so... was this RowPo?

KirkEvil
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
This was not rowan police, it was in west long branch. Actually happened about 10 minutes after shownomercy was pulled over for whatever (his post in this thread).

I havent been pulled over by rowpo yet, but then again I dont drive much when on campus

StockLT1
01-06-2009, 09:35 PM
i would file harasment charges on the cop and a cop can only stop you for 25 - 30 min by law

Mike
01-06-2009, 10:07 PM
i would file harasment charges on the cop and a cop can only stop you for 25 - 30 min by law

umm i have my books in front of me and cant find anything on a time limit.....whats the statute number on that one :lol:

sweetbmxrider
01-06-2009, 10:09 PM
yeah and a stop is different from a detainment. pretty much equals more time to "harrass." am i correct mr. mike?

Mike
01-06-2009, 10:10 PM
unless your dumb enough to consent to a search and then its neither.....

LTb1ow
01-06-2009, 10:11 PM
This was not rowan police, it was in west long branch. Actually happened about 10 minutes after shownomercy was pulled over for whatever (his post in this thread).

I havent been pulled over by rowpo yet, but then again I dont drive much when on campus

Wasn't my fault! :lol:

NJSPEEDER
01-06-2009, 10:15 PM

Police can keep you around as long as they need as long as they need. The only requirement is that the reason for the initial stop is reasonable. I don't know who told you they are on a time limit, but that is inaccurate.

It is does not meet the requirements for harassment unless it is the same officer or a pattern of officer, shift, or location actions against and individual or group that is out of proportion to other enforcement in the same or comparable areas.

I have been in the situation of being genuinely harassed by an officer before. Nothing anyone has said here even comes close to meeting the requirements to even get a complaint beyond a piece of paper and a squad room punch line.

StockLT1
01-06-2009, 10:46 PM
i have friends on the jcpd and that what they filled me in on

Mike
01-06-2009, 10:50 PM
its wrong

NJSPEEDER
01-06-2009, 11:00 PM
i have friends on the jcpd and that what they filled me in on

An officer has as much time as they need to complete the appropriate investigation. It isn't limited.

If your friends are being told they are on an egg timer when they pull people over, they are not being given accurate and adequate information to do their jobs to the best of their ability.

HeadlessNorseman
01-07-2009, 12:48 AM
When i got 4 tickets in 2 weeks in my cobalt SS (repoed now) in the summer of 06 I decided that i was going to be a really good driver from then on. And i only have been pulled over once since then, in almost 3 years. Its really just a matter or paying attention and wising up

Mike
01-07-2009, 08:41 AM
An officer has as much time as they need to complete the appropriate investigation. It isn't limited.

If your friends are being told they are on an egg timer when they pull people over, they are not being given accurate and adequate information to do their jobs to the best of their ability.

sure they are...its quantity over quality lol, the faster they are, the more they get done each shift

chemicalstylez
01-07-2009, 11:21 AM
If they ask to search your car and you 100% have nothing...just say no. I don't have time for them to be wasting. I've turned down 2 searches...sure they get mad and try to weave their way into it. Just have to know your rights and cops will do anything to take advantage of you not knowing them. If your in college and need a elective, take law enforcement electives, your eyes will open up :) Granted I'll be in the academy next year...but its my goal NOT to be that dickhead cop everyone hates. Plus i need to give Mustang drivers tons of tickets ;)

bobb1589
01-08-2009, 08:54 AM
my parents want me to file a complaint about them searching my car... i most likely won't but I dunno they said the whole charge could be dropped if I argue that they wrongfully searched my car with no reasonable suspicion

CamaroGirlie
01-08-2009, 09:25 AM
my parents want me to file a complaint about them searching my car... i most likely won't but I dunno they said the whole charge could be dropped if I argue that they wrongfully searched my car with no reasonable suspicion

Didnt they search your car because it smelt like marijuana? thats techinically reasonable suspicion. And didnt you consent to the search?

bobb1589
01-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Didnt they search your car because it smelt like marijuana? thats techinically reasonable suspicion. And didnt you consent to the search?

Yes, but its NOT POSSIBLE for it to smell like marijuana...i don't smoke no one has ever smoked in my car... i would have known if it smelled like marijuana or not... i didn't consent to the search... he said please step out of the car...asked me if i knew of anything being in the car and i said no...then he said ok stand here... then had another officer frisk me while he went and had the passengers step out and frisked them... i was never asked... "can we search your car?"

CamaroGirlie
01-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Yes, but its NOT POSSIBLE for it to smell like marijuana...i don't smoke no one has ever smoked in my car... i would have known if it smelled like marijuana or not... i didn't consent to the search... he said please step out of the car...asked me if i knew of anything being in the car and i said no...then he said ok stand here... then had another officer frisk me while he went and had the passengers step out and frisked them... i was never asked... "can we search your car?"

I honestly dont know what to tell you, it will be your word against a police officers and we all know how that will end.

bobb1589
01-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I honestly dont know what to tell you, it will be your word against a police officers and we all know how that will end.

well i just spoke to my cousin who is a cop and he has been able to help my sisters out before, so my cousin is going to look into it and see what he can do / find out for me...the officer scribbled his badge number too which just makes it harder to figure out who it is but i will keep everyone posted i guess..i dont mind getting the ticket for the careless driving because what i did was probably careless, but i do feel like i was illegally searched

Crayface
01-08-2009, 10:35 AM
so i am just better off calling?

you only need to call a court ahead of time to tell them your pleading not guilty. for something sooooooooooooooooooooooooo petty just plead guilty

Crayface
01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
well i just spoke to my cousin who is a cop and he has been able to help my sisters out before, so my cousin is going to look into it and see what he can do / find out for me...the officer scribbled his badge number too which just makes it harder to figure out who it is but i will keep everyone posted i guess..i dont mind getting the ticket for the careless driving because what i did was probably careless, but i do feel like i was illegally searched

you can make a complaint to the department about that cop, all u need is their badge number. Illegal searches happen ALLL the time and the way this cop got around it is by using the smell of weed for an excuse to search your car. The most common excuse to search someones car, but like everyone u have a right to complain to that department.

CamaroGirlie
01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
If your so concerned about all this Bobby, then u should have just gotten a lawyer.

bobb1589
01-08-2009, 12:05 PM
well i wasn't that concerned and then my parents found out and now they want me to file a complaint.. i can't really afford a lawyer anyway considering im still in college :/

CamaroGirlie
01-08-2009, 12:14 PM
well i wasn't that concerned and then my parents found out and now they want me to file a complaint.. i can't really afford a lawyer anyway considering im still in college :/

If your parents want you to file a complaint that bad, then tell them to pay for a lawyer.

Mike
01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
did they actually search the car or just have everyone get out and frisk them?

they also dont need consent to check anything visible in the passenger area, just to open consoles, gloveboxes, trunks, and hoods

bobb1589
01-08-2009, 12:35 PM
did they actually search the car or just have everyone get out and frisk them?

they also dont need consent to check anything visible in the passenger area, just to open consoles, gloveboxes, trunks, and hoods

they frisked everyone and then searched the car itself... even if i didnt consent there is no physical way that they smelled marijuana... no one in the car smokes...we werent at a party where anyone was smoking... it just wasnt possible... we were driving around listening to the new head unit i put in and got pulled over... the fact that cops can just use that as an excuse to search is ridiculous

Mike
01-08-2009, 02:24 PM
yeah, but there is no way to prove what they did or did not smell. its he said, he said. talking to a lawyer would tell you that....

CamaroGirlie
01-08-2009, 02:38 PM
yeah, but there is no way to prove what they did or did not smell. its he said, he said. talking to a lawyer would tell you that....

As I already said lol

bobb1589
01-08-2009, 02:42 PM
yeah i guess i will just have to see how it goes...