PDA

View Full Version : need some help deciding.

miketa95
12-29-2008, 12:52 AM
I've been debating this for a while, especially since I had my car up for sale a couple months ago. I do landscaping and I need something to pull my trailer by this spring when my dad's envoy lease is up. I figure I can do one of two things, but I am not sure what to do.

Keep the LT1 Trans Am I have and build it up a little bit, and buy either a 05 ford explorer or jeep grand Cherokee which I figure I could get at about 11-12k with under 45k miles.

OR

put the money out for a low mileage Trailblazer SS awd and give up on a TA altogether.

My first idea seems a little more appealing to me but I could see it getting hard to keep up with insurance for two cars and all that. At the same time I wouldn't want a car as nice as the TBSS to get all dirty and messed up from working, the envoy I have now is terribly dirty now after just one summer. I'm not in a rush to buy anything now but its on my mind and I want to know what you guys think.

Rich189
12-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Not sure how old you are but here is what i would do... Since your using your dads envoy now im going to assume your under 25. In that case i would talk your dad into talking to hagerty etc. to see if you can get the ta put on collector car insurance with your dad as the primary and you as a driver.

That would knock down the insurance to well under 500 a year depending what how much you want to insure it for etc. Then you will be able to keep both and hopfully not struggle to much.

If you cant do that I would say sell the ta get a decent 10k tow vehicle for now and later down the road when you can afford it buy another ta etc.

69BirdX
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
As much as i love trailblazer ss. I dont know how much towing abuse they can take and if you wouls want to. Your better off keepin the T/A and buying a Beater truck.

FBODS4EVER
12-30-2008, 06:49 PM
i like the first idea......:wink:

Mike
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
As much as i love trailblazer ss. I dont know how much towing abuse they can take and if you wouls want to. Your better off keepin the T/A and buying a Beater truck.

a lot :nod:

the ss has the highest towing capacity of all the trucks built on the trailvoy platform, it also comes pre-wired for trailer brakes.

mine has been to conneticut once, island dragway, englishtown and atco, as well as many trips to and from joshes, as well as pretty much all over nj.

put a good tranny cooler on it, and it will do just fine

69BirdX
12-31-2008, 01:12 AM
Then get an SS!! just take care of it you can get it dirty fast using it as a work truck

miketa95
12-31-2008, 01:24 AM
I don't need any crazy towing capacity I drag around 3 lawnmowers and a couple leaf blowers and weed whackers. I think I'm going to end up keeping the t/a because if I got a tbss I couldn't do anything to it, since I wouldn't want to mess with anything that would harm the towing ability, and I wouldn't want to risk breaking it and having a huge problem if I took it to the track. Plus, with a DD there will be no restrictions for the TA. Maybe I'll luck out and really gain a lot of business next year and be able to have both..

madness410
12-31-2008, 02:08 AM
do the first idea. me and my friends have a landscaping business also and use our daily cars for business all the time. they get so dirty and messed up we have to clean them at least twice a week during the season. u are right, the tbss is a way too nice of a car to get all dirtied up.