PDA

View Full Version : to all the people with a CDL

heavy_chevy29
12-29-2008, 01:30 PM
im thinking about getting one to increase my options for a job. alot of diesel shops require that u have cdl. for all of those who have one, how was the test. i heard its pretty tough.

enRo
12-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Its cake. Ill try my best to remember the process since Ive gotten mine when i was 18 years old, which was 6 years ago. If you haven't done so, pick up a CDL book from your local DMV. If your going for your Class B, read the General + Airbrakes sections over and over again. Class A i believe you have to read the trailers. Take the written test, grab a permit for 6 months (IIRC) ... the actual road test is a real pain unless you've studied hard. The hardest part is the pretrip inspection because if you miss one thing to inspect, they will flunk you on the spot. When your doing your pretrip inspection, make sure you point out what you are inspecting and what the requirements for that certain thing is (for example "Im checking the tread on the front tires which have to be at least so-and-so inches in tread depth") and etc. and NEVER EVER EVER EVER leave the truck running while you are doing your pretrip... take the key out of the ignition and put it in your pocket. They flunked my father for that when he got his.

FBODS4EVER
12-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Its cake. Ill try my best to remember the process since Ive gotten mine when i was 18 years old, which was 6 years ago. If you haven't done so, pick up a CDL book from your local DMV. If your going for your Class B, read the General + Airbrakes sections over and over again. Class A i believe you have to read the trailers. Take the written test, grab a permit for 6 months (IIRC) ... the actual road test is a real pain unless you've studied hard. The hardest part is the pretrip inspection because if you miss one thing to inspect, they will flunk you on the spot. When your doing your pretrip inspection, make sure you point out what you are inspecting and what the requirements for that certain thing is (for example "Im checking the tread on the front tires which have to be at least so-and-so inches in tread depth") and etc. and NEVER EVER EVER EVER leave the truck running while you are doing your pretrip... take the key out of the ignition and put it in your pocket. They flunked my father for that when he got his.

YEP.. what he said. i only had to wait 3 weeks between tests. i failed the air brake bleed off test my first time out.

nj85z28
12-29-2008, 04:33 PM
cake. passed mine about 5 years ago. just remember to take the keys out of the truck with you when you do the pretrip.

deadtrend1
12-29-2008, 04:42 PM
pretty easy.

Enro pretty much said it all. The road test for my A was difficult cause I used a Freightliner Columbia Class sleeper with a 48' spread axel drop deck trailer. That combo makes it a pain to manuver in the space for the test.

What are you going for .. A or B

oh yea. Plus they want you to use the clutch when you shift. I never do, so breaking that habit for the 5 min of driving was a challenge .. lol

heavy_chevy29
12-29-2008, 04:52 PM
i would probably go for class B. i just picked up the book today. ive been reading it for a while today. the only thing im concerned about is the pretrip inspection. theres alot of crap to memorize

deadtrend1
12-29-2008, 05:02 PM
i would probably go for class B. i just picked up the book today. ive been reading it for a while today. the only thing im concerned about is the pretrip inspection. theres alot of crap to memorize

yea .. just read the chapters and the air brake section too.

With the pretrip, everything is in front of you. Just walk around, look at the truck and you will remember it all.

enRo
12-29-2008, 06:44 PM

Just make a list, and put them in an order that you can remember it. Go over it once a day (if you have a truck to practice on)... make the list so that you only have to go around the truck once, no more. Start inside the truck, then work your way around it til you get back to the drivers door... if I still had my list, I'd post it up for ya.

bluez2000
12-29-2008, 07:05 PM
im thinking about getting one to increase my options for a job. alot of diesel shops require that u have cdl. for all of those who have one, how was the test. i heard its pretty tough.

The hardest part will be the pretrip. In the handbook from dmv, it will list everything you need to know. Like everybody said, take the keys out and basically mention everything you see.

V
12-29-2008, 07:11 PM
i wish nj was like some other states, and would just transfer a military license to a CDL, for a small fee(and some states still a road test), but noooooo. lol. All the big stuff is air brakes and so forth. For work here, i got HazMat and ammunition handler certifications.

MonmouthCtyAntz
12-30-2008, 06:02 AM
Got my class A CDL a few years back. Never really used it though..Pretty easy you just have to get use to driving a tractor trailor..its nothing like a regular manual car.

heavy_chevy29
12-30-2008, 05:25 PM
ive been reading the book. i gunna re-read certain section. my dad has been a driver since he got out of high school basically. he said that if half the morons driving have their CDLs then i should have no probs. so im going to try and go to the dmv next week and take the written test for the learners permit. is that a test that you take on the computer? once i get a permit im gunna see if we can get one of the trucks from his work to practice on. i dont think it should be to big a deal

oh one ls1 SS
01-01-2009, 06:03 PM
is that a test that you take on the computer? once i get a permit im gunna see if we can get one of the trucks from his work to practice on. i dont think it should be to big a deal

yea all the tests for the permits are on the computer. its cake and you shouldnt have any problem. the only test that i was worried about was for hazmat but somehow i passed. like everone else said just read the book a few times and you'll have no problem.

JerseyLS1TA
01-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I went to a Shore Tractor Trailor Training school for my CDL. Three days in the classroom learning everything and they guarantee a pass, which I did for the written. Then once you pass that they get you in the truck. Showed me everything I needed to know till I had it down pat. THey took me for the test, I passed first time. I studied every night and had it memorized. I did it about a year nd a half ago. Now I work at Claytons and its way better then my computer job sitting in a $hitty building all day being watched over like a hawk:lol:

87GTA
01-02-2009, 06:42 PM

go for your class A you would make more money!!! and get your HAZMAT you will allso make more money!!! i have been driving Big Trucks for 3yrs and wow i love it!! i pull a straight bore tanker and i pull haz mat in that tanker!!