PDA

View Full Version : Headunit Replacement

Brando56894
02-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I bought a used Pioneer P4000UB and I'm attempting to remove the old unit but I just cant seem to do it. I have the old headunits screws removed but the wire isnt long enough to pull the unit all the way out and expose the connections, and of course I cant get to it by removing the AC panel either since those wires are short.

So my next guess is that I have to remove the dashboard (which I was going to do anyway to hide a bunch of wires) but I cant get that off either! I've taken the glove box off and all of the screws that I can find in that area but the dashboard still wont come off....

Im half tempted to just cut a small piece out of the dash thats right in between the cup holder and the glove box so I can get my hand in there to reach the wires and not have to take the whole dash off

edit: I got it out by using brute force, just pulled the headunit and the red connector popped off and then I could pull it outand disconnect the other one. I'd still like to know how the dash comes off though.

EODMonkey
02-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I haven't taken the headunit out of my camaro yet but I will say the constant with all the others I have done is that there just isn't any slack. Your gonna b able to get a few fingers behind it at most just enough to get the connectors out. Then the adapter harness will give u the extra to install the new. U also may b getting hung up on something u can't see. So give it a gentle tug or two n try n work out some slack. Stock components are a very tight fit on any car

deadtrend1
02-08-2009, 02:39 PM
the steering wheel control harness makes it a bitch sometimes to get the stock headunit out

Mike
02-08-2009, 04:11 PM
easiest way to do the dashboard, is to grab a Haynes manual Brandon, that and once you start, if it feels like somethings holding it when you pull, check 5 times before you yank...

Brando56894
02-09-2009, 09:24 PM
i thought we had a haynes manual around here somewhere but idk where, i have a shop manual on a dvd here too but i didnt feel like sifting through it once i found out it wasnt necessary.

another question: how did you guys attach your aftermarket single din headunit to the existing housing where the stock 1.5 din headunit was?

my aftermarket is skinnier than the stock and I cant see anyway on how to screw it in even with the mounting sleeve (or whatever its called) attached, my dad was going to make a bracket for it but he's notorious for taking forever when he makes something and we would have to buy the aluminum from somewhere that he needs for it. I'm gonna tell him not to worry about it if you guys know where I could get one for cheap...

Knipps
02-09-2009, 09:32 PM
any store w/ an automotive dept has the adapters.. you're looking at $10-20

sweetbmxrider
02-09-2009, 09:40 PM
what kind of car is this? the radio trim panel has screws hidden in the glove box and behind the driver side dash panel. just pull lightly on things and see where its still holding on, then look for the fastener.

TheBandit
02-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I dunno what year your car is but if you want my headunit trim piece you can have it. It was in my 94 bird. It fills up the space around your aftermarket unit and lets you mount it in there.

Tru2Chevy
02-12-2009, 02:01 PM
what kind of car is this? the radio trim panel has screws hidden in the glove box and behind the driver side dash panel. just pull lightly on things and see where its still holding on, then look for the fastener.

I dunno what year your car is but if you want my headunit trim piece you can have it. It was in my 94 bird. It fills up the space around your aftermarket unit and lets you mount it in there.

Brandon has a 98-02 v6 'bird....don't remember which year off the top of my head.

- Justin

TheBandit
02-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I would say my filler plate would work. Already put together if you want it.

FBODS4EVER
02-20-2009, 01:50 PM
i have a extra plate and harness. on the harness it tells you what wires to hook up to the radio wires. then you just plug it into the factory plug. and radio will work. these are out of my 95 bird. i just rplaced my single din. you can have both. i dont know where you are located. but im in south jersey and will mail them to you if needed.:wink: