PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone give me some tips?

wcamarors1992
03-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi, I finally got my camaro running good and I'd like to take it to the track. I've never raced before and this is my first manual car. I would like to get some decent times for my car so are there any tips that anyone can give me? If its needed, the only mods to the car are headers, exhaust, lid and a tune. Thanks a lot.

Camvill
03-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Hi, I finally got my camaro running good and I'd like to take it to the track. I've never raced before and this is my first manual car. I would like to get some decent times for my car so are there any tips that anyone can give me? If its needed, the only mods to the car are headers, exhaust, lid and a tune. Thanks a lot.

Practice, practice, practice. and then practice some more

NastyEllEssWon
03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
shift and shift well. get a good 60 ft.

Anti_Rice_Guy
03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Trial and error basically. Ryan will be there, he can help. He raced an LS1 firebird M6 the past two fridays, and with 180k miles, street tires, just open cats/lid, he ran a 13.13.

Mike
03-18-2009, 04:47 PM
if you see green....you left too late.
just leave a little harder than leaving a street light, if you go out of your way to not spin the tires you will probably bog the first time, each time after that try launching at 500rpm higher until you feel that sweet spot where it almost wants to spin the tires
other than launching, on street tires i wouldn't let TOO much air out, but i would add a little to the front wheels. and also only do a quick burnout to clean the tires off, a long smokey burnout on street tires is useless.......

most important...pay attention to the people working, and have fun. if you have never been to the track, go up and see where people line up and how they do things before you pull your car into the line

when are you planning on going? i have a ton of free time on my hands until my next surgery

NJSPEEDER
03-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Practice, practice, practice. and then practice some more

Nothing improves ET like putting in the laps.

Since you have never raced before, the first goal should be to get the basic lay of the land at the track, get used to the way everything happens there, and above all else have some fun.

If your friends are willing to video tape you and you can post the vids and slips I am sure we can give you some helpful advice so you can start worrying about lowering that number.

LTb1ow
03-18-2009, 04:58 PM
When are you going?

I am interested in dragging my car out and seeing how slow it is.

camaroAL
03-18-2009, 05:09 PM
DONT DUMP THE CLUTCH!!!!!!!!!!! this does not improve ur time on street tires!!

ride the clutch out of the launch, then bang through the gears.. a lesson i learned years ago. 2000 camaro ss went 14.9 dumping the clutch!!!
i then rode the clutch and was able to go 12.91, BIG difference!!!

Anti_Rice_Guy
03-18-2009, 05:50 PM
when are you planning on going? i have a ton of free time on my hands until my next surgery

He's coming to Island, this Friday.

If your friends are willing to video tape you and you can post the vids and slips I am sure we can give you some helpful advice so you can start worrying about lowering that number.

I'll be videotaping/picture taking like every other trip to Island, plus Melissa will be there, and foxriderry (Ryan) who just raced his M6 last week and the week prior.

Shownomercy, this Friday, Island.

sweetbmxrider
03-18-2009, 08:30 PM
When are you going?

I am interested in dragging my car out and seeing how slow it is.

yo if you do go, and you wanna hook a brotha up, i'd like to check it out :wink: bring a camera i guess

LTb1ow
03-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Eh, I don't really have the funds to drag the car all the way up to Island, I was hoping for an Etown or atco trip...

Mike
03-18-2009, 09:42 PM
when

sweetbmxrider
03-18-2009, 10:06 PM
atco = me on the way :D

DevilDougWS6
03-18-2009, 11:32 PM
yeah id go....to atco or e-town....etown i like better sometimes though.

i need to get back to the track to see my ets with my proper-ish setup.

Stupercharged
03-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Ride the clutch off the line!! Is all I have to say once your wheels start to spin it sucks trying to get them to re catch.

wcamarors1992
03-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Wheelspin does suck, and I also suck at doing a burnout and a launch lol...I'm going to practice a little this weekend and try to have it down for next Friday.

On my first try I went 18.3@52mph...missed 3rd gear. My last time was 14.2 @ 103mph. By the way thanks for all the help from all you guys that were there.

Jared1970Chevelle
03-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Wheelspin does suck, and I also suck at doing a burnout and a launch lol...I'm going to practice a little this weekend and try to have it down for next Friday.

On my first try I went 18.3@52mph...missed 3rd gear. My last time was 14.2 @ 103mph. By the way thanks for all the help from all you guys that were there.

what kind of tire are you on?

what psi are you running your rear tire?

best advice.... practice practice practice... seat time is key especially with a stick car...but most importanly have fun and be safe..... my second year into racing a friend of mine who is really big in the racing game told me a really important quote.... "In the racing game there is FAST, SAFE, and CHEAP... You can have any two but not the third"

wcamarors1992
03-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm using street tires I think bf goodrich? I'm too lazy to go outside and look right now, I'll check later. I have a set of chrome c6 wheels that im planning on running nitto 555r's on when I have the money.

The psi on the tires are probably 35-40. Is that messing up my times also? I'm pretty sure I'll get 13's next time though. I was getting used to it more and more but I dont want to beat the living piss out of my car haha. It's gonna need a new clutch soon too, its making some weird noises.

sweetbmxrider
03-21-2009, 03:37 PM
you want to drop the pressure in the rear a little and bump up the fronts when racing. daily driving i would think 32-35, definitely not 40 though.

Tru2Chevy
03-21-2009, 06:55 PM
When racing, bump the tire pressure of the fronts up to lower rolling resistance, and drop the rears to 28-30 psi. You may not have to go that far down to hook, and you may have to go just a little farther. You don't want to take a street tire down into the low 20s or teens in pressure though, the tire will start to cup in (center of the tread not making contact with the ground) and you will lose a lot of traction.

- Justin

98tadriver
03-21-2009, 09:38 PM
hmmm, ive always cut my best 60's in the low 20s on street tires lol.

Tru2Chevy
03-21-2009, 09:58 PM
hmmm, ive always cut my best 60's in the low 20s on street tires lol.

Well, it does depend on the size of the tire....I erred on the side of caution since he didn't say what he was running.

- Justin

madness410
03-21-2009, 11:28 PM
im too lazy to read the thread...you went to atco?

fire95bird
03-22-2009, 01:18 AM
No he was at island. He was running good. His first few times out he was only shifting at like 4 grand so me and ryan told him to shift at like 5500ish. But ya once you get used to launching 13s will come easy.Keep it up and well see you again friday

Jared1970Chevelle
03-22-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm using street tires I think bf goodrich? I'm too lazy to go outside and look right now, I'll check later. I have a set of chrome c6 wheels that im planning on running nitto 555r's on when I have the money.

The psi on the tires are probably 35-40. Is that messing up my times also? I'm pretty sure I'll get 13's next time though. I was getting used to it more and more but I dont want to beat the living piss out of my car haha. It's gonna need a new clutch soon too, its making some weird noises.

street tires are just that... street tires... def. invest in a set of extra rear wheels to put a really good DR on or a slick.... but you might break stuff if you go with a slick and launch hard.... as far as drag radials go me and all my friends run the mt's... at JDM track day last year they had one lane for drs and slicks and the other for street tires.... they told all the guys with the nittos to go to the street tire lane....

thats a lot of psi in the rears and i would say its messing up your times but if you lower the psi a little the car should be fine....but if your having "weird noises" i would get that checked asap before beating the car on the 1/4....

NastyEllEssWon
03-29-2009, 06:16 AM
nitto's are trash. get some mickey's

NJSPEEDER
03-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Before you go spending money on parts, get out and learn the car. Spending hundreds on wheels and tires just to accelerate how fast the rear will pop is a waste.