PDA

View Full Version : Third Gen Restoration?

Frank drives a Firebird
04-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Hey guys. My car is a 1985 Trans Am. Nothing special. It is a 5speed, which is rare, but it's still a junky T5. Anyways, it's a daily driver right now and from the outside it's in decent shape. It needs a new driver side door and some paint. The underside is where the problems are. There are two huge holes under the rear floors behind the driver/passenger seats. There's a small hole under the driver floor and various rust on the passenger seat and all over, really. I'd like to get this all taken care of. The car also needs new suspension all the way around, an engine rebuild, trans seals, and a new clutch. I would also like it if the car had a stronger rear, stronger trans, and a beefier powerplant. So I figure I might as well take care of everything at the same time. I'm looking for a really detailed thread or guide on restoring a third gen. I'd like to go all out with this project. I've been following the 71 Firebird thread with great interest and I'd like to do something much like he's doing. So if anyone can show me some links they have, that would help a lot. The more pictures the better.

Thanks a lot,
Frank

Tru2Chevy
04-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Don't know of any one specific thread / webpage that will have everything you are looking for in one place, but all of that information should be readily available. Are you planning on doing all / most of the work yourself?

For a stronger rear - start saving your pennies. The only bolt in upgrades for the stock 9 bolt and 10 bolt rears are the aftermarket 12 bolt, 9 inch, and Dana 60. You might also have some luck searching for a Dana 44 - GM offered them as an over-the-counter upgrade to the weak stock rears in the late 80s / early 90s but they are hard to find.

For a stronger trans you have more choices. You can do a T56 swap using an LT1 style trans, or you can get something like a TKO 600. Hanlon Motorsports would be a good place to talk to about that. ------>

- Justin

Frank drives a Firebird
04-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes I plan to do almost everything myself. And I've had my eyes on a TKO for a while, I'd just like to get the body work done first and out of the way, then I can set my sights on building a muscle machine. Thanks for the information about the rear ends also.

Masonite
04-22-2009, 02:05 PM
I'll look around for you. As you know, I have a near-identical firebird, so this definitely interests me. My vehicle's in great shape for the time being, but I wouldn't mind knowing where to turn a couple years down the road if/when I start seeing problems with my T/A. I'll keep you updated.

HardcoreZ28
04-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I can tell you just about anything you'd want to know about a thirdgen restoration. Feel free to PM me anytime.

jims69camaro
05-14-2010, 11:12 AM
i'd rather see a public discussion about this. i am in the midst of resto-modding the '87 and any tips/tricks/hints to help me get over anything i might find as a stumbling block would be appreciated. i am sure i am not the only one with this type of project... i can think of at least ten people who own third-gens on THIS board that would also benefit from an open discussion.

now, as for the things i've found while stripping the '87, see my thread. you might also find things like this in your car once you start digging below the surface.

FoodStampsz
05-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Let me know any questions you have I'm in the midst of doing this myself. I have an 86 Firebird TA, T5, 9' Aussie and stock 305(50k miles on it) if you need any of that. I just painted mine back to factory, put in a 10bolt, 383 stroker with about 500 horse and know all about the suspension needed to put that power down in the 3rd gens:) still driving the T5 until it blows up(shortly).

jims69camaro
05-14-2010, 07:34 PM
383 stroker with about 500 horse

:drool:

BlackTopKing
05-15-2010, 12:33 AM
I agree as well. I think an open thread would be great, there are tons of different areas that would be addressed and most of us have atleast one or two areas to address, I would be interested in the floor...

Are you going to patch -new pans or swap from donor.

Eitherway...I think this will be good

Of course the REAR question? I like to see the option in performance and gearing angles...with what you choose to do

HardcoreZ28
05-15-2010, 09:05 PM
How extensive are your holes in your floors? If it's just 1 or 2 small ones I'd cut out the bad spots and weld in small patches. If you have more than that or the whole thing is starting to feel flimsy I'd replace the entire floor pan. Be sure to brace the car very well so it doesn't twist while the floors are removed.....very common for unibody cars.

There are no real pitfalls to these cars or major trouble spots per say. Check the rockers...especially in the front where they meet the firewall area....very common spot for rust.

Parts are readily available in junkyards and from suppliers such as Hawks and Year One.

FoodStampsz
05-16-2010, 04:59 PM
swing by any local junk yard bound to find dozens of third gens

MotorTrendz
01-12-2011, 10:49 AM
i have a 92 rs, and have done 4 other 3rd gens, i have always used the stock rear housing or used a 4th gen rear, true they arent the strongest but i have abt 500hp and a 150 shot and the read is holding up.. i welded the axle tubes at the center section and used a cover with the bearing supports.. moser axles and a locker.. the only issue i had was before i got a tubular torque arm i bent the stock one pretty good..

good luck with the build and if u have an questions or need any hard to find parts theres a few guys i know that have abt a dozen 3rd gens at their disposal...

WiMiMc
01-12-2011, 01:11 PM
i've been eating and breathing third gen for the past few years, i dont know everything but i sure could help with quite a few things, i'll be here to help.

jam01
01-12-2011, 02:35 PM
i have a free rear hatch if you or anyone is interested. it is from an 87 camaro