PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Andover Township

L695speed
04-13-2009, 10:12 PM
I just joined up after hearing about this forum on TGO. My name is Chris and I am from Andover, NJ. I own a 1984 Dark Sand Gray Metallic Trans Am. It came from the Norwood Ohio factory, delivered to a dealership in NJ the car still has the dealer sticker on it. (the dealership just closed this past fall). Dad bought a 77 Firebird new with a 301 and a four speed. Was wrecked four times. He rebuilt it three times. The final incarnation of that car was a Black and Gold TA clone, with a twist. It had a 10th anniversary TA interior and it was going to the paint shop to be painted the Black and Gold bandit color scheme but in Charcoal Grey with silver striping and the 10th anniversary birds. Was totaled for the last time a week before it went to paint. The car that followed was a 1978 Esprit that Dad swapped in the interior from the previous car (the machined gauges, Formula wheel, silver Leather) and was blue. Had a 305 and an automatic. Sold that one, and bought the '84 TA that I have now in 1990. The TA had the L69 305 HO backed by a T-5 with T-tops. The engine blew up in 2002 after a decline that was never solved until I took it apart. In 2004, I was searching through the classifieds and Dad saw what I was looking for. Told me to stop looking through the paper and fix the one outside. Deal was I do all the work (he helped out because he likes cars as well) and it was mine. The engine was swapped out for an 87 LG4. The only thing that was still of the LG4 when I was done swapping everything was the Block, heads, valve covers, internals and intake manifold. Everything else on that engine now is from the original L69. I still have the block from the L69 to rebuild it if numbers matching becomes a big deal with these cars. The problem was the rocker twisted off the spring jamming it. Because of the jam the pushrod was snapped and the lifter was sent out of the hole. I finally succeeded in getting the engine in the car and got it cranking when Dad died suddenly of a heart attack. A few of his friends asked me about the car and I told them I would finish it. It was not going anywhere, and it probably never will now. Now in my senior year of college, I am an Auto Restoration Major. I am hoping to get the car running this spring/summer. I have been crossing out issues because the car won't start. Currently it is popping out the exhaust but it won't run. Unless someone comees up with a bonafide definite fix for it I am gonna take it down to the local mechanic and have him get it running for me. Hoping to get it to Hershey for the AACA Fall Meet. And if it runs I will have it at the Fbody Nats at Island Dragway, paint falling off the car and all.8-)

thunder
04-13-2009, 10:13 PM
welcome

Anti_Rice_Guy
04-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Welcome, there are a few of us in the near area, me included.

sweetbmxrider
04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
welcome :cheers:

ttiwwp

seriously!!! now!

bandit88
04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
:welcome:

NJSPEEDER
04-13-2009, 10:43 PM
:welcome: to the club!!!

79CamaroDiva
04-13-2009, 10:47 PM
:wavey: im originally from hackettstown, but live just over the border in PA now. still not that far. welcome to the madhouse.

NjbadSS
04-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Welcome to the club.. I'm from your neck of the woods, where abouts in andover you from? My aunt lives in lake tranquility and my brother lives right in andover borough.

L695speed
04-13-2009, 11:24 PM
welcome :cheers:

ttiwwp

seriously!!! now!

I Will post the photos when I get a chance. There are photos of the two second generation cars floating around somewhere at home but I don't know where they are. I don't think there are any in TA clone form.

I am in the Lake Lenape Area. If people here have been in the area for a long time they have probably seen my car at one point or another. We have owned it since 1990. What methods do we have for posting photos anyway?

L695speed
04-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Start during the summer/fall 2004. Engine swap project.
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/labrchr/100_0230.jpg

Interior when started the project. Yes that is an old Cell phone I don't want to hear it. :lol:
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/labrchr/100_0233.jpg

View of the back that same year.
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/labrchr/100_0235.jpg

and the passenger side. Thats me by the far left side. Dad took these photos.
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/labrchr/100_0236.jpg

Here is the blown L69 305 HO I still have the block and cam for a rebuild.
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/labrchr/100_0237.jpg

Another photo of the car next to the Fiero outside. As it looks now.
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/labrchr/P1010007.jpg

I've since done a lil more work on the car, replaced the hood support shocks, put the passenger seat in, I have it so close to running its starting to piss me off. The Fiero next to it in the last photo is my brothers as well as an MR2. The Fiero is currently getting a 3800 Supercharged motor in it out of a grand prix. He got the car to fire today. But its not running yet.

NjbadSS
04-14-2009, 12:01 AM
cool car!! Actually I know right where you're at.. one of my girlfriends, as in a female I'm friends with haha, works at lenape lodge now as a matter of fact as a bartender.. Hope to see ya around

NJ Torque
04-14-2009, 12:06 AM
welcome!

L695speed
04-14-2009, 12:27 AM
cool car!! Actually I know right where you're at.. one of my girlfriends, as in a female I'm friends with haha, works at lenape lodge now as a matter of fact as a bartender.. Hope to see ya around

hahaha. Actually, isn't the bar for sale?....we should all buy it and turn it into an F-body bar. :rofl: I actually live right in there. The next street up from the bar, at the end of the street. If you drive down there and go around the circle the car is visible from the street...however, at the moment its in the garage, and I am at school. I graduate in May so I won't be in town until then.

The funny thing about the shots of the car from the rear...out of all the cars in the photos, the only one we still have is the TA. :mrgreen:

I am sure when I get the car running and legal, it will become a common sight on the roads of Sussex and Warren County. Its distinctive enough that when people see it they will probably know who it is. I am hoping to get the car repainted with fresh decals within the next year or two.

NjbadSS
04-14-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm not to sure the story behind that bar.. I heard it was for sale while ago, but she claims it gets quite busy in there so maybe new ownership? Not to sound like a creepo but what road do you live on? My family used to tend to an elder guy that lived a road up from the lodge as a matter of fact

L695speed
04-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Penn Ave, but as I said I am not home now so wait til May if you are planning to crash the place. LOL

Tru2Chevy
04-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Welcome to the club!

- Justin

maroman88
04-15-2009, 08:41 PM
welcome... nice lil project u go thtere

enRo
04-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Welcome! What do ya plan on towing with that trailer hitch on there? :lol:

L695speed
04-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Welcome! What do ya plan on towing with that trailer hitch on there? :lol:

That was something Dad did back in the early 90s to tow a small boat trailer, (sail boat or row boat). I have no intention of towing anything with it, and there is rust on the bar that is worse than the rest of the car. Towing stuff is hell on the clutch anyway. And besides...the only things I would be towing the car can't handle anyway. Thats what the Bronco is for.

I am going to take it off when I can get at it. Another guy from NJ with an 84 TA suggested that I keep the bar but ditch the hitch because it tightens up the back end. I looked at it and it is one whole piece...so its all or nothing. My goal right now is get it running....then I will worry about the tow bar. It will be gone sometime this summer. I don't know if you noticed but there used to be a car phone in it too. That is gone as well.

I will add more photos of the work I've done at some point. The seats were mismatched...the interior was a mess...blah blah blah blah. The first photos were at the start of the project in 2004, the last one was taken this past summer... another example...that broom handle holding the hood up has been replaced by new hood shocks.

Fast92RS
04-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Welcome.

baddest434
04-19-2009, 10:27 AM
welcome to NJFBOA 8-)

procamaroz28
04-19-2009, 11:20 AM
welcome!... u like towing w/ ur f-body too? lol jk

BurninrubberGT
04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
welcome, my dad also has an 84 with the l69, good luck gettin it running!!