PDA

View Full Version : Good Paint shops in North Jersey

L695speed
04-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I will be looking for good paint shops in Northern NJ, I would prefer to keep it in Warren, Sussex, Passaic or Morris Counties. Any suggestions anyone? I want to repaint my 1984 Trans Am and have all the original decals put on. As a guy who worked at a restoration shop and is an Automotive Restoration Major in college I have no allusions as to the labor and materials prices. But I do want a guy who does good work for a reasonable price (there are guys that rip you off). I am planning on getting the car running this summer, so I will be able to take it to the shops for a guy to look at it and give me a quote.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

camaroAL
04-14-2009, 10:49 PM
just paint? all body work complete?

L695speed
04-14-2009, 11:05 PM
just paint? all body work complete?

Body work too, I might do some of it myself but, they might just undo it. A bear decided it was hungry and put a dent in the crease of the passenger side front fender when it got at the garbage cans.:evil: I would like to find a guy who would not just fill it up with bondo. (as an example of a shortcut someone might take, I know what happens when you do that)

In short, I want bodywork done, repainted in original colors, and new decals applied.

camaroAL
04-14-2009, 11:07 PM
is this something u would consider doing over the winter?

L695speed
04-14-2009, 11:14 PM
is this something u would consider doing over the winter?

Yea, in fact I was thinking of doing it over this winter or next winter if I ever got the money. The car sucks in the snow anyway, and even that is an understatement. :rofl: I recall seeing it go through five gears and not get out of my driveway in 4 inches of snow.

camaroAL
04-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Yea, in fact I was thinking of doing it over this winter or next winter if I ever got the money. The car sucks in the snow anyway, and even that is an understatement. :rofl: I recall seeing it go through five gears and not get out of my driveway in 4 inches of snow.

pm sent

HardcoreZ28
04-15-2009, 02:21 PM
My shop is in Somerset County but I'd be more than able to handle the bodywork and paint for you. Check out my site for pics of some of the work I've done and PM me for a price if you're interested.

L695speed
04-15-2009, 06:58 PM
I know it would be much easier to view the car in person for an estimate but if I send you guys photos, either posted on here or via email, would that be good enough for a rough (I would imagine very rough) guesstimate as to how much it would cost to do the job. I've already stated that it would be this winter at the earliest that I do this. More likely due to student loans :evil: it will be later. But if I have a basic idea of how much it would cost to do the work then I can start saving up.

I can describe some of the other issues in the photos to the best of my remembrance. I've gotten quotes from 2500 to 5000 just asking without any good information about the damage and etc. And one guy didn't really take me seriously.... I know there may be some surprises as far as rust goes after all we do live in the Northeast. I am already suspecting the doors, the T bar, and maybe parts of the front fenders for the dreaded rot. Also as I said I might do some of the bodywork myself (surface rust sanded down to bare metal then sealed, primed, and maybe a couple coats of finishing coat).

Let me know if you guys are willing to do that. Both of you guys have cars that appear to be beautifully done, pictures can only go so far. The process photos do show me that you both know what you are doing. PM me if you wish. Thanks.

HardcoreZ28
04-17-2009, 11:38 PM
You can send me pics but just in case it's out of your price range I can tell you that a paintjob will start at $10,000 with fair bodywork.

nj85z28
04-21-2009, 09:53 PM
if you happen to find one send me a pm with their info as im looking to get bodywork on my SS done

L695speed
04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
You can send me pics but just in case it's out of your price range I can tell you that a paintjob will start at $10,000 with fair bodywork.

unfortunately you are right 10,000 is out of my price range. Thanks for the offer. Can you refer me to anyone who can do it for less? (Besides Macco, I would consider them but what I want done might be too much for them to handle. Three different colors and decals). I also know I need to do something to keep the car from rusting to the ground and paint is the best way to do that. I know the old adage that you get what you pay for...but you never know. Speaking of prices...is there a way that I can look up what paint materials would cost on the web. Theres gotta be a way to find the paint you want and see how much it would cost. T-tops mean less paint needed but more time for masking........

L695speed
04-21-2009, 10:38 PM
if you happen to find one send me a pm with their info as im looking to get bodywork on my SS done

If I find one I would be more than happy to do that.

TaKid455
04-21-2009, 11:05 PM
sent you a PM. I do think some of the higher quality shops will not take the job if your looking to spend less than 5k. materials alone will run about 2k. Hardcore is right as a good paint job begins at 10k and 15k not being out of the picture. The tri-color job will not be cheap. decal install is not too much. It never hurts to ask though. There is a shop next to me that would probably fit your budget. decent job that will hold up, but don't expect a show car finish. We send cars there from time to time for touch ups and minor items. he is in Hackettstown.

L695speed
04-21-2009, 11:28 PM
sent you a PM. I do think some of the higher quality shops will not take the job if your looking to spend less than 5k. materials alone will run about 2k. Hardcore is right as a good paint job begins at 10k and 15k not being out of the picture. The tri-color job will not be cheap. decal install is not too much. It never hurts to ask though. There is a shop next to me that would probably fit your budget. decent job that will hold up, but don't expect a show car finish. We send cars there from time to time for touch ups and minor items. he is in Hackettstown.

I received and replied to your PM, thanks.

TERMN8OR
06-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Well, while I cannot recommend anyone to you, I can tell you to STAY AWAY from Jersey Muscle Cars in Lacy NJ. In fact, stay as far away as posslble. I have been dealing with these people for around 5 years now and can tell you nothing but nightmares. I have considered pulling my car out of this shop many times. I'm in too deep money wise and it would cost me too much to go somewhere else at this point.

The storys ranges from paying for work that takes years to complete to never getting completed at all. Or, paying for parts that don't get purchased, or when they do get pruchased you'll find them on another car. I have my car with them for a little over 5 years now for a restoration. It has been the most unpleasent exerpience of my life. I will probably end up in court with them at some point.
STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSILBE !!!!!!

WildBillyT
06-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Well, while I cannot recommend anyone to you, I can tell you to STAY AWAY from Jersey Muscle Cars in Lacy NJ. In fact, stay as far away as posslble. I have been dealing with these people for around 5 years now and can tell you nothing but nightmares. I have considered pulling my car out of this shop many times. I in too deep money wise and it would cost me too much to go somewhere else at this point.

The storys ranges from paying for work that takes years to complete to never getting completed at all. Or, paying for parts that don't get purchased, or when they do get pruchased you'll find them on another car. I have my car with them for a little over 5 years now for a restoration. It has been the most unpleasent exerpience of my life. I will probably end up in court with them at some point.
STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSILBE !!!!!!

That's a shame, but it seems like it's all too common these days.