PDA

View Full Version : Destroyed my Vette, now have an f-body

Oldskool153
05-21-2009, 04:14 PM
hey guys, Im new here..switching over from Corvette Action Center..long story short, comming home from Atlantic City with my boy 2 weeks ago, i fell asleep behind the wheel of my beautiful 88 c4, we went off the road, hit a tree and flipped, I dont remember the actuall accident but I recived a helicopter ride to the Hospital (my friend wasnt as bad as i was).. Sadly my Vette didnt make it, she was DESTORYED beyond scrap metal status. So i just bought a 94 z28 in GORGEOUS condition, it does have 160k BUT was owned by an older woman, they said that they had the trans rebuilt, new timing chain and gears, new oil pump, and new water pump. the car looks pretty much spotless, if you looked at the car u would think it has 60k, anyway I noticed that at idle it only holds about 10-18 psi of oil pressure, than moving down the road it holds about 38-40..this seemed low to me considering my TPI in my vette was at 45-60 at ALL times, however the more i read online the more i realized thats normal for the lt1. Anyway I put 20w50 oil in the lt1 to help with oil pressure (and it has) b4 I realized it had normal psi with the 5w30 in it, my dad says not to worry but im just wondering, am I going to hurt anything or is the 20w50 ok?

Knipps
05-21-2009, 04:20 PM
:wavey: Welcome

baddest434
05-21-2009, 04:29 PM
welcome, sorry about the vette but at least your still here to talk about it!!

NJ346
05-21-2009, 05:30 PM
it depends on what type of oil pump they put in the car. I know an HD oil pump will pump more volume but sometimes has a lower psi output. Have you tried changing the oil? Edit, nevermind, just realized you said you changed the oil.

mc73nova
05-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Welcome. Your vette wouldn't happen to be a yellow vert on craigslist would it?

maroman88
05-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Welcome. Your vette wouldn't happen to be a yellow vert on craigslist would it?

haaa beat me to it!!!

welcome... yes the oil PSI is fine for an LT1... at idle my old 95Z would be just a hair above the red line on the guage

LTb1ow
05-21-2009, 06:53 PM
The heavier weight oil will be a bandaid at best, but whats your oil pressure at hot idle?

And welcome!

Formulalt1
05-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Too bad about the Vette, I went from a Early C4 (86) to a 94 LT1 F-body myself. Good luck and just to me, that sounds a little low on the oil pressure but I am just basing that on my two LT1's that I have owned which both had more than that but looking at other responses it may be normal and mine just had higher than normal.

Whiplash Performance
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Welcome!
Glad you are alive and well to join us on here. Enjoy your new F body!

sweetbmxrider
05-21-2009, 09:50 PM
welcome :cheers: sorry about the vette

oil pressure sounds pretty good to me. the lt1's can get pretty low on a hot idle. i would just make sure it goes up pretty good when you are high in the rpm's. say something like 40-50psi at 5k

Oldskool153
05-22-2009, 09:19 AM
thanks guys, and lol na it was a white targa top, luckly It was too cold to have the top off when we left Atlantic City, if I had the top off when we flipped i might not be here, even tho when we flipped it actually ripped the targa top bolts off

ib4200
05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
thanks guys, and lol na it was a white targa top, luckly It was too cold to have the top off when we left Atlantic City, if I had the top off when we flipped i might not be here, even tho when we flipped it actually ripped the targa top bolts off

good thing for the cold weather than, welcome

Tru2Chevy
05-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Welcome to the club!

- Justin

Camaro.Joe.LT1
05-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Welcome: Oldskoll I have a 94 Z/28 LT1. It's in the shop getting a new trans at the moment, I should have it by Friday. The new trans will be built. Redline clutches & steels corvette servo transgo hd2 shift kit, heavy duty pump, 2000-2200 stall converter. This trans will be mostly used for street and the stall speed is right on the money for this mostly stock motor. I tried to drive it to the shop but that didn't work out lol...I had to get flat bedded the rest of the way to the shop about 7 miles. But I think it's all worth it I love the car. this winter I did the front end rear suspension u joints. Most of the car has been gone over and things replaced as needed. I'm about 90 percent done. By the way stick with 5w30 or 10w30 oil it's the best for these motors. I use Valvoline synpower full synthetic 5w30 in my ride 88,000 miles.The motor runs like a top you may wana consider Valvoline high mileage which is a semi synthetic for high mileage cars. Good luck, Joe