PDA

View Full Version : Jag rear panels

LTb1ow
05-21-2009, 07:10 PM
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs010.snc1/4189_1155146154843_1113366798_489920_5710698_n.jpg

Its my Mom's car, I think its an 87, or 85, but on both sides, the rear corners are rusting. She is playing oblivious to it, but it is not getting better....

So what would it cost to just "fix" it so it stops rusting.. I would rather not replace both quarter panels.

Ideas?

NjbadSS
05-21-2009, 07:21 PM
well to fix the problem the right way, replacing the panel is the way to go, but for someone who is good with body work, could easily cut the rotted spot out and tack in a piece of metal and it would never be noticed. I'm thinking the 3rd gens are easy enough to find in the junk yards that you could get a panel very inexpensive and have it put in though.

LTb1ow
05-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Not the case with this car, dealers can't fix engine problems any more, parts are not available...

So I was looking for a quick fix. Any idea on how much it would cost to get them cut out and new pieces welded in/painted?

NjbadSS
05-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Not the case with this car, dealers can't fix engine problems any more, parts are not available...

So I was looking for a quick fix. Any idea on how much it would cost to get them cut out and new pieces welded in/painted?

I had a 97 camaro that had the drivers quarter pretty smashed up when I bought it, bought the panel from a local junk yard for about 200..had a local shop cut mine out weld it in and paint it for about 900. I'm guessing you can find a 3rd gen in the junk yard and get that panel very cheap though and just ask around body shops, or even see if any njfboa members are into body work or have connections, should be able to get it done relatively cheap

NastyEllEssWon
05-21-2009, 08:02 PM
look on ebay for full rockers for sale. if not then a patch panel is gonna have to be made by a competent body shop

Knipps
05-21-2009, 08:52 PM
POR15

HardcoreZ28
05-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Depending on how widespread the rust is under the paint that's a common area to make patch panels for. There is no need to replace the whole quarter and disturb good factory sheet metal and weld in aftermarket junk that never fits right.

You'd probably be looking at $600-$1,000 depending on what's all there I'd bet. Could be more if it's a widespread problem.

If it's not completely rotted away, just pitted, you could half azz it. Grind it down and fill with fiberglass filler, then blend in paint. But that may last you a year or two only and would not be the right way to do the job.

LTb1ow
05-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Hm, ok, so around a grand, and I assume if left as is, it will ruin that whole panel correct?

WildBillyT
05-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Getting the spots cut out and patched would be the way I'd go. This summer you may want to get under there with a wire wheel and some POR-15 to stop future corrosion.

In case you are looking for a place:

http://www.jaguarsvc.com/

In Flemington by the high school.

LTb1ow
05-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Yea, I told my Mom what I may run her, and apparently the dealership or wherever she takes it, told her its not worth fixing, cause it will just rust again....

LOL

//<86TA>\\
05-23-2009, 07:36 PM
put a sticker over it?

unstable bob gable
05-24-2009, 07:18 PM
put a sticker over it?

http://www.jdsroddshoppe.com/mooneyes_logo.jpg

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/stp.gif

http://www.motorbrandsusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/X100-HR-CSC15-2T.jpg

transmaro93
05-27-2009, 08:28 PM
i think people are thinking this is a 3rd gen fbody... its a jaguar... they matt is the rust through the metal yet... if you stuck a screw driver at it would it poke through... although a good chance it would come back eventually even if its its replaced... it wouldnt be for a while if done right... you prob cant get those panes anyway... plus no sense in replacing the whole 1/4 for that little bit of rust... if its not all the way through meaning there is no holes... i would grind the paint down where the rust is and about a 1/4 inch around where there is no rust... and por15 it.... so what ever body work is needed... and then get it painted... if your really seriouse about fixing it.. i can take a look at it for you... and or help you repair it...

btownws6
05-28-2009, 05:28 AM
yea if anything i would just cut and replace it's soo much easier i did it on a little honda beater i used to have b/c the wheel well rotted out but after i cut welded and painted she was brand new and never had a problem again. replacing the whole 1/4 would risk weakening the structure of the car and it's such a pain in the to do anyway. But a lot of shops might not want to b/c they are lazy and want insurance work.

TaKid455
06-03-2009, 09:54 PM
jags have an issue with rust especially those years. the problem is, what you see may only be the beginning. like the tip of the ice berg. they also have a leaky rear main seal habit that requires one to disassemble the engine to properly fix it.