PDA

View Full Version : LT1 is now in the trans shop

Camaro.Joe.LT1
05-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Last night I attempted to bring the Z to the trans shop, well I kinda got a funny feeling I would not make it, and even figured where about I might break down. Guess what, I lost all gears and had to roll into KC bagels parking lot in Pompton plains. In any case I had to get flat bedded to the shop 7 miles away.
So the LT1 sits in the shop this memorial day. Well It's for the best I'm gonna have trans beefed up a bit. Heavy duty clutches and steels, corvette servo, 2200 stall converter, transgo shift kit Hd-2, the beast sun shell, heavy duty band, and some heavy duty valve body mods. I told the builder to build it so the shifts under normal cruising are firm but under heavy acceleration I want the shifts to hit hard. No need for comfort here, a Z/28 should shift hard not sloppy and soft. Lets see what happens I'll post the results.

Formulalt1
05-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Last night I attempted to bring the Z to the trans shop, well I kinda got a funny feeling I would not make it, and even figured where about I might break down. Guess what, I lost all gears and had to roll into KC bagels parking lot in Pompton plains. In any case I had to get flat bedded to the shop 7 miles away.
So the LT1 sits in the shop this memorial day. Well It's for the best I'm gonna have trans beefed up a bit. Heavy duty clutches and steels, corvette servo, 2200 stall converter, transgo shift kit Hd-2, the beast sun shell, heavy duty band, and some heavy duty valve body mods. I told the builder to build it so the shifts under normal cruising are firm but under heavy acceleration I want the shifts to hit hard. No need for comfort here, a Z/28 should shift hard not sloppy and soft. Lets see what happens I'll post the results.
Yeah, unfortunetly once one gear starts slipping its not long til all gears are lost all together. Glad yours is getting put back together quicker than mine was though.

Camaro.Joe.LT1
05-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Yep it started out slight and just got worse and then failed all together.

BigAls87Z28
05-23-2009, 04:46 PM
What was the price quote you got for the rebuild?

Camaro.Joe.LT1
05-23-2009, 09:07 PM
$2200 with converter they remove and install the trans. this includes the performance upgrades.

Mike
05-24-2009, 07:57 AM
converter sounds like its barely bigger than stock?

Camaro.Joe.LT1
05-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I believe the stock converter for this trans is 1680 stall, I'm not 100% sure but this is what I've heard.

NjbadSS
05-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I just got mine fully built and beefed up in my Z28 by a local shop, went with a little higher than stock convertor and paid 1550 for it. The prices for these transmissions are all over the place but wish ya luck with it after its done!

LTb1ow
05-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Are they re doing the stock converter or is a new one?

Camaro.Joe.LT1
05-26-2009, 06:03 PM
They are installing new converter in the range of 2000-2200 stall. This whole deal would have been a lot cheaper if I removed the trans and brought it to them. But by the time I got a trans jack Fought with this thing from under the car with jack stands had my buddy drop it off and pick it up and then reinstall it. It was worth the extra couple of hundred bucks.

Formulalt1
05-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I believe the stock converter for this trans is 1680 stall, I'm not 100% sure but this is what I've heard.Stock stall on our cars is 1200 - 1300.

NjbadSS
05-26-2009, 10:00 PM
They are installing new converter in the range of 2000-2200 stall. This whole deal would have been a lot cheaper if I removed the trans and brought it to them. But by the time I got a trans jack Fought with this thing from under the car with jack stands had my buddy drop it off and pick it up and then reinstall it. It was worth the extra couple of hundred bucks.

its always a better idea to have the shop do the whole job. If not its very common to try and stick ya on the warranty saying that something happened with the install or something wasn't their fault

JSPERFORMANCE
05-26-2009, 10:13 PM
If you saw the things I have you would understand that it isnt the shop "sticking it to ya". "i thought it was normal to have to draw the trans in with the bell bolts" said the customer that "does all his own work".

Formulalt1
05-26-2009, 10:18 PM
If you saw the things I have you would understand that it isnt the shop "sticking it to ya". "i thought it was normal to have to draw the trans in with the bell bolts" said the customer that "does all his own work".
:shock:, how long did the tranny last. 12 minutes?

JSPERFORMANCE
05-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Wondered why it made a horrible noise then the noise stopped but the car never moved an inch.

People like that are the reason that I do not do bench jobs or sell my clutches without installation.

Formulalt1
05-26-2009, 10:35 PM
I always get nervous about that whenever I do trannys. I tend to turn that torque converter a thousand times before I get it into place. The tranny jacks when leaning in either direction can knock it back out but you should definetely not be attempting this if you are unaware of how to seat a torque converter.

Camaro.Joe.LT1
05-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Stock stall on our cars is 1200 - 1300.

Wow that's stall seems really low, I never heard this number before. I keep hearing 1680 for some reason, even the trans guy said he thought it might be around the 1600 to 1700. :?:

Formulalt1
05-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Wow that's stall seems really low, I never heard this number before. I keep hearing 1680 for some reason, even the trans guy said he thought it might be around the 1600 to 1700. :?:
Actual stall speeds vary but as far as I know and have heard , the stock converters on our cars where rated to stall anywhere between 1200 - 1400 but stall speed varies with torque output so its very possible to be higher than this number.