PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Help

Zero4488
06-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Ok...so I've been doing some research on setting my suspension up and I've been reading alot about Drive Line Angle, Instant Center, and Center Of Gravity. Currently my driveline angle is 2.5* with my pinion angle currently at 0*. No as far as IC, with a torque arm car how do I go about finding and adjusting my instant center? I know I'm supposed to find the instersection of the torque arm and lca's but besides getting a straight edge and piece of graph paper is their an easy way to do this? A formula perhaps? I have found a few IC Calculators (http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope/id28.html) but I'm lost as to what measurements they are asking for. Also how do I calculate my Center of Gravity? What measurements do I take and what is the best method the figure it out? Also while I'm at it what is a good baseline to set my adjustable front and rear coilovers to? Currently 2 front and 7 rear. All input would be greatly appreciated.

-Dave

Zero4488
06-14-2009, 01:29 AM
still looking for some insight on the subject....

Twisted Minds Racing
07-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Madman has a good suspension guide he sells that can answer all your questions.

But i usually set up my setups stiff in the rear and depending on how it launches varry the fronts from 0 to 4 pinnion angle is at -1.5 but its a BMR extreme TA cant adjust the atachment point (front mount). Also play with the tire pressures 0.5 lbs at a time.

Also a firm believer in a good DR Sway bar with some preload adjusted in.

TEKHAWK
08-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Ok...so I've been doing some research on setting my suspension up and I've been reading alot about Drive Line Angle, Instant Center, and Center Of Gravity. Currently my driveline angle is 2.5* with my pinion angle currently at 0*. No as far as IC, with a torque arm car how do I go about finding and adjusting my instant center? I know I'm supposed to find the instersection of the torque arm and lca's but besides getting a straight edge and piece of graph paper is their an easy way to do this? A formula perhaps? I have found a few IC Calculators (http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope/id28.html) but I'm lost as to what measurements they are asking for. Also how do I calculate my Center of Gravity? What measurements do I take and what is the best method the figure it out? Also while I'm at it what is a good baseline to set my adjustable front and rear coilovers to? Currently 2 front and 7 rear. All input would be greatly appreciated.

-Dave

You don't have ladder bars or a 4 link. There isn't many changes you can make. Your dealing with a torque arm setup. A long torque arm which would be a tranny mount is the most forward I/C. A short arm which is chassis mount will move the I/C back. You can also use relocation brackets for your control arms which will help in adjusting whats right for your application. Your shock settings are a good start but keep in mind that many things factor into supension setups. Weight, hp, tires,and all supension components. Now as far as a rear bar goes, you adjust it depending on how straight your car leaves the line by turning the right side adjuster tighter or looser. It doesnt take much. One half turn to a full turn will typically straighten you out. This is a few basics to help get you on your way... Best of luck. -Frank