PDA

View Full Version : Chassis black???? Any recommendations

1QWIKBIRD
06-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I need to paint a spare set of upper and lower control arms for the Firechicken and wondered what is the latest and greatest. Powder coating is not an option and I'd prefer something in a rattle can. I looked at some of the Eastwood products, POR15 etc....Looking for a durable gloss finish, not trying to match the factory look or anything like that.

Chris

BonzoHansen
06-13-2009, 01:23 PM
POR is good on rough or rusty stuff, not as much on clean smooth surfaces. The restore guys rave about the eastwood stuff, esp on smooth metal.

unstable bob gable
06-13-2009, 02:43 PM
When a spray bomb suits my needs more than brushing on Por 15, ubg uses Eastwood Chassis Black. Good stuff, indeed!

1QWIKBIRD
06-13-2009, 03:18 PM
When a spray bomb suits my needs more than brushing on Por 15, ubg uses Eastwood Chassis Black. Good stuff, indeed!

which flavor of chassis black? there is regular, extreme and I think the ceramic stuff?

camaroAL
06-13-2009, 03:40 PM
por-15 ftw

unstable bob gable
06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
which flavor of chassis black? there is regular, extreme and I think the ceramic stuff?

I've only used the regular grade. The extreme and ceramic might be a nice upgrade, though.

bad64chevelle
06-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Ive used POR15, and both Eastwood's chassis black and the rust inhibitor. I recommend using the Eastwood stuff. It goes on better, seems to last longer, and is not as hard to get off your skin. Ive never had luck with POR not peeling after a while. The Chassis black always looks great when prepped and used correctly.

JL8Jeff
06-14-2009, 09:13 AM
I've used the POR15, Eastwood regular stuff and even the rattle can Duplicolor or one of those brands you can find at local parts stores. They all seemed to work well with no complaints.

z28rob18
06-14-2009, 09:19 AM
i feel lik this isnt wat your askin. but ive used the $0.97 cans of gloss black from home depot on all my parts. if you sand clean and prime them it works better then the $6 cans of duplicolor.

HardcoreZ28
06-15-2009, 07:08 AM
I like POR much better than the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator...I think it's a more durable product. Just prep the parts properly and the POR will have no adhesion problems. Also the POR isn't UV resistant so if you don't want it to dull out hit it with some regular gloss black spray paint while it's still tacky. It'll last forever then.