PDA

View Full Version : Nhra rules-skinnies

NJ346
06-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Ok well I normally race at Atco, but I'm gonna probably hit up e-town on wednesday if I get enough miles on the clutch. So this would be the first time the car actually has to pass a tech inspection.Anyway, I have extended wheel studs on the front(only 2.5in), and with the spacer I run for the skinnies, the threads sit flush with the rim. I also run closed end lug nuts on the skinnies, is this legal? Car should easily be running 12.50's, what else do I need to actually pass a tech inspection? Car is a 6spd if that matters.

sweetbmxrider
06-14-2009, 09:15 PM
isn't it supposed to be an open-ended lug nut with 1/2 inch of thread sticking out?

NJ346
06-14-2009, 09:17 PM
isn't it supposed to be an open-ended lug nut with 1/2 inch of thread sticking out?

I'm almost positive it needs to be an open-ended lug, but I'm not sure if that's just for the rear or for the fronts also. I knew I shoulda went with the 3.25" studs:banghead:

1QWIKBIRD
06-14-2009, 09:20 PM

definitely open end lug nut and I think the stud has to extend out the end of the lug a distance equal to 1 diameter of the stud in question. So if you are running 1/2 studs, then 1/2" of stud must protrude beyond the lug nut. You should have steel valve stems in the skinnes. Make sure the battery is well secured (no bungee cords, ratchet straps etc...).

What kind of tires out back? DR's, Slicks, Street tires?

Careful with new clutch, better to be on the safe side and get enough heat cylces and material transfer before you beat the balls off it.

Good luck

NJ346
06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
definitely open end lug nut and I think the stud has to extend out the end of the lug a distance equal to 1 diameter of the stud in question. So if you are running 1/2 studs, then 1/2" of stud must protrude beyond the lug nut. You should have steel valve stems in the skinnes. Make sure the battery is well secured (no bungee cords, ratchet straps etc...).

What kind of tires out back? DR's, Slicks, Street tires?

Careful with new clutch, better to be on the safe side and get enough heat cylces and material transfer before you beat the balls off it.

Good luck

steel valve stems are in the skinnies. Battery is secure. DR's will be outback. Also, they'll probably fail me for the linelock because slp doesn't have an arming switch, just an on/off switch. How fast can u go before you need a driveshaft loop according to nhra?

1QWIKBIRD
06-14-2009, 09:31 PM
steel valve stems are in the skinnies. Battery is secure. DR's will be outback. Also, they'll probably fail me for the linelock because slp doesn't have an arming switch, just an on/off switch. How fast can u go before you need a driveshaft loop according to nhra?

I think the driveshaft loop is more a function of tires. If you are on slicks, you need the loop irregardless of et or speed, best i can remember. I don't know what the rules says for DR's? You should be ok on DR's with regard to the driveshaft loop.

1QWIKBIRD
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM

I doubt they'll check the linelock switch, I'd be shocked if they did.

NJ346
06-14-2009, 09:36 PM
I doubt they'll check the linelock switch, I'd be shocked if they did.

yea I'm not sure...I just don't want to take the trip to the track and get denied becuase of something I overlooked.

E-town regulars- ever get bothered for going on skinnies with closed end lugs?

sweetbmxrider
06-14-2009, 09:46 PM
ah yes thats right 1qwikbird, thanks for clearing it up

camaroAL
06-14-2009, 10:14 PM
closed lugs is a no no..

NastyEllEssWon
06-14-2009, 10:43 PM
i think anything faster than 13s requires a loop. they wont check for the loop. as for the skinnies they will fail you for the closed ends. why not just sport regular front tires to get through tech and then swap em after you get through

NJ Torque
06-14-2009, 11:06 PM

I have not been bothered with my skinnies and closed lug nuts.

I also do not have a loop and run 17" et streets with no trouble...

Let me know when your going, I'm down...

btownws6
06-14-2009, 11:12 PM
yea i'm down too i still wanna try these damn radials out already haha
so this will be my first time running at e-town so i have no clue what the hell they will be looking for haha but oh well it's only 2 min from home

Mike
06-14-2009, 11:16 PM
they wont check the line lock at all

NJ346
06-15-2009, 05:25 AM
ok. If I go it'll be this weds June 17th. All depends on if I can get another 120 miles on the clutch and don't have a lotta work for school(have finals weds and thurs).

Also-I check ls1tech for their abreviated nhra rules and looks like the only thing that they can really fail me for is the skinnies.

LTb1ow
06-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Why not just bring a spare set of wheels, if you fail tech for the skinnies, throw regular wheels on?

NJ346
06-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Why not just bring a spare set of wheels, if you fail tech for the skinnies, throw regular wheels on?

ehh, i really want to see how the clutch has helped me out. Last time I went and ran at atco I was on DR's and skinnies. I mean I could run with the regular wheels on, but I'd like to have a shot at a new PB.

xrelapse13
06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
they might fail you but probably wont. They mostly just ask what's done if you have any FI, nitrous etc... When you tell em just bolt ons they usually just wave you through.

NJ346
06-15-2009, 07:54 PM
they might fail you but probably wont. They mostly just ask what's done if you have any FI, nitrous etc... When you tell em just bolt ons they usually just wave you through.

sounds good.

Clutch Master
06-15-2009, 09:08 PM
ive always raced at etown with closed lug nuts with my skinnies and drag radials and never gotten bothered, they just bust my balls for the cutout(whereas atco doesnt care and thats why i like them more) . if anything island is the only placed that nit picked everything on my car.

98tadriver
06-16-2009, 06:22 AM
ehh, i really want to see how the clutch has helped me out. Last time I went and ran at atco I was on DR's and skinnies. I mean I could run with the regular wheels on, but I'd like to have a shot at a new PB.

dont think you will be able to in this air. you ran in negative DA if i remember correctly. i ran 11.89 @ 118 on a 1.83 60' in -2000 DA and then a week later went 11.90 @ 117 on a 1.71 60' in slightly negative DA. just to give you an idea on what effect weather has on your times. goodluck!

Pampered-Z
06-16-2009, 07:58 AM
I don't have my rule book handy, so please take this as a maybe.

If using Acorn style lugnuts you are fine (such as Telstar rims), if you use shank style ( Prostars) then the lug must extend thru the nut.

Slicks or 12.99 quicker requires a driveshaft loop.

Linelock must have an activation AND arming switch.

NJ346
06-16-2009, 12:54 PM
I have a feeling I'm not gonna go to e-town tomorrow and wait until atco next week. I don't wanna chance it. The clutch has about 450 miles on it now and i'd like to have 600 on it before I beat the crap outta it.

98tadriver
06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
in case you didnt know, make sure you have alot of stop and go miles on it. putting alot of 6th gear cruising miles on it does nothing. you basically want to keep heat cycling it

NJ346
06-16-2009, 08:57 PM
in case you didnt know, make sure you have alot of stop and go miles on it. putting alot of 6th gear cruising miles on it does nothing. you basically want to keep heat cycling it

thanks ron. I've only had one long trip on it(50 miles), everything else has been true city mileage. When I took the trip, I hit every toll plaza I could and wasn't just cruising in a single gear for more than a couple of miles. I'll probably just wait until atco. The clutch chatter isn't that bad, so it seems like it should be okay if I decided to go tomorrow, but I think I'll sit out. Btw, these cars get awesome gas mileage when you don't beat on them:lol:

01blackz28
06-17-2009, 12:49 PM
yea I'm not sure...I just don't want to take the trip to the track and get denied becuase of something I overlooked.

change the lugs before you make the trip