PDA

View Full Version : Kirkey Seats finally done....

1QWIKBIRD
06-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Only took me a year, but I finally got the passenger side seat bracket made and the seat is mounted. Turned out ok, the double locking slider works nice and smooth. The adjustable back brace is at a more severe angle than I would like, but when a real roll bar gets installed that problem will go away. And I couldn't for the life of me get the passenger side seat to sit as low as the driver side seat without sectioning the floor, which was not an option. The hump in the passenger side floor for the catalytic converter total screws things up on that side. So the passenger side is probably about 1-1/2 inches higher than the driver side, not a huge deal more of a visual thing than a comfort or fitment issue. And I generally don't sit on that side, so not a big deal.

I incorporated an attachment point under the seat for the sub belt, so when I get around to putting new belts in I'll be good to go.

Now the car doesn't look all clapped out with only one seat in it.

Here's some pics.

Chris

2MCHPWR
07-20-2009, 07:30 PM
that looks kickass. what model is that?
The bracket looks sturdy.
what did you do with the recaros?
How much weight did you save with the kirkeys over the recaros?

1QWIKBIRD
07-20-2009, 09:45 PM
that looks kickass. what model is that?
The bracket looks sturdy.
what did you do with the recaros?
How much weight did you save with the kirkeys over the recaros?

They are the Intermediate Road Race seat, 17" hip width. The slider is a universal dual locking deal I picked up through my local speed shop, and the rest I just fabbed up.

I pulled and sold the recaros over a year ago. Those seats didn't quite fit me right. Not wide enough in the seat and didn't sit low enough to be comfy with a helmet on my gigantic melon of a head.

I never weighed the Recaros, so I am guessing. But based on web data:

Recaro's http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=3874&region=3&L=2
about 30lbs plus the bracket.

Kirkey's http://www.kirkeyracing.com/related/Related%20Files/Shop%20Drawings/47700-Shop-Drawing.gif
about 16lbs plus the braket.

I'd guess that I saved a solid 10-12lbs per set. My brackets and rear seat support might be a bit heavier than the Wedge Engineering brackets you had used with the Recaro's. http://www.wedgeengineering.net/SEATBRACKETS/tabid/5426/Default.aspx So some of the weight savings in the seat I gave up in the mounts. But seating postion is tons better and you are far better supported. Completely renders the back seat useless if you had back seats though because of the fixed back. No big deal for me.

jts98z28
12-05-2009, 02:00 PM
are they horribly uncomfortable or bareable?....they look pretty good i mite have to look into these

dugeman
12-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Great looking seats , what do they weigh without the sliders?

1QWIKBIRD
12-05-2009, 05:55 PM
are they horribly uncomfortable or bareable?....they look pretty good i mite have to look into these

They are plenty comfortable, more so then the Recaro's they replace and light years ahead of a stock set of seats for me. I'm kind of a big boy at 6'-1" 250lbs +/-, so I don't fit in stock seats very well. I tend to sit up on the seat buns, not down in the seat. My dad's 93 is stone stock and hate driving his car because the seats just aren't meant for a big guy. But these are great, more head room because they are mounted low in the car and better back/shoulder support. I would go long distance and not think twice.

Great looking seats , what do they weigh without the sliders?

Mine are 17" hip width and without sliders are 16lbs.....

chris

sweetbmxrider
12-05-2009, 06:03 PM
kirkey drag seats are about 15lbs iirc

edit: and page refresh owns me