PDA

View Full Version : battery relocation/cut off switch

sweetbmxrider
06-28-2009, 05:49 PM
what are the nhra rules on moving the battery to the trunk area? i'd like to do it on the driver side out of the ttop well, not sure if that is legal though. do you have to have a cut off switch if you move the battery? it also has to be in a box and vented out of the car, right? can the cut off switch be on the driver side? thanks 8-)

http://www.streetlethal.net/battery/diagram.jpg

thats how you have to wire it?

Tru2Chevy
06-28-2009, 07:20 PM
If the battery is not in the stock location, you must have an external cut off switch per NHRA rules. I don't think which side it's on matters, but it has to be clearly marked and on the back of the car. Yes, if the battery is not separated from the passenger compartment by a firewall, it must be in a sealed box, vented outside of the car.

The NHRA rule book may have more specifics on mounting the cutoff switch.

- Justin

sweetbmxrider
06-28-2009, 10:07 PM
ok thanks justin. where could i find a rule book?

Tru2Chevy
06-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Here: http://store.nhra.com/product.asp?3=180

I believe Jegs / Summit carry them as well.

- Justin

racerz
06-29-2009, 03:04 PM
ALSO THE RULES MANDATE THAT THE BATTERY HAS TO BE MOUNTED 2 THE FRAME. I got snagged at Maple Grove last week and mounted the battery in the spare tire well and drilled from the trunk into the frame.

sweetbmxrider
06-29-2009, 03:18 PM
where did you have it mounted before? in the well? or not bolted to the frame? is there specifics as how it attaches? like nuts/bolts or studs welded or self tappers? thanks for the heads up

LTb1ow
06-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Why do you wanna do this?

sweetbmxrider
06-29-2009, 07:18 PM
moving the weight from in front of the wheels is a good thing. want to do it right the first time. is that ok? :mrgreen:

LTb1ow
06-29-2009, 07:20 PM
No I understand the relo part, but you need to drill through the car somewhere for the switch, just seems a bit extreme for a street car.

Means people can run behind your car and turn it off when your at a red light. ;)

sweetbmxrider
06-29-2009, 07:27 PM
i believe i can do things to prevent that. they also have the rotary switches. can mount it to a tail light or behind the plate and install it for track days only. :wink: there's ways.....there's ways....

Tru2Chevy
06-29-2009, 07:39 PM
When we were talking about doing this on Little G's '02 Camaro we were planning on a push-pull switch, with the rod either hung under the bumper or through a spare taillight (only installed on track days). This way drilling was avoided, and we were gonna use threaded rod that could be removed when not at the track.

- Justin

sweetbmxrider
06-29-2009, 07:56 PM
that was pretty much exactly what i was thinkin. definitely on the to do list. were you going to change the overflow tank?

Tru2Chevy
06-29-2009, 08:21 PM
IIRC he had a 1 quart overflow tank from summit / jegs and the little Hawker / Odyssey battery strapped down in the stock location. Once he got the little battery, we were gonna move it from in front of the front passenger wheel, to behind it, right in front of the firewall. Plenty of room there after !A/C, and far less weight since we weren't running 0 gauge cable to the rear of the car.

- Justin

LTb1ow
06-29-2009, 08:24 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/azxic/IMAGE_041.jpg

Bitty battery up front!

sweetbmxrider
06-29-2009, 09:08 PM
thats not a bad idea but i don't think that little battery would be great for dding

Tru2Chevy
06-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Don't remember how long Craig (Little G) used his as a DD with the little battery, but it was at least 5-6 months before he parked the car and then sold it, maybe longer. By that point he had far less electronics in the car using up power though.

You could go a step or two up from the tiny one and still save a good deal of weight over stock size.

- Justin

Mike
06-29-2009, 11:08 PM
yeah i take the rod off the switch when i drive mine around town

racerz
06-29-2009, 11:57 PM
originally in the "trunk" area. but was told that is not considered correct. I relocated it to the spare tire area and used 3/8 studs and a sealed box.(Moroso makes a complete kit with box and all hardware) must use a sealed box because r cars do not have a rear "firewall". hope this helps.

sweetbmxrider
06-30-2009, 07:01 AM
yeah thanks guys!

Pampered-Z
06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Few other options:

Friend had his battery mounted under the bumper/quarter panel, behind the rear wheel well and the cutoff mounted off that. This seemed fine for a track car, not sure I'd want that an a street car?

For the on/off switch. I plan to mount mine behind the liscence plate. This way no one can mess with it, and at the track all I'll need to do is remove the plate.

Make sure the box you get is NHRA certified, so of the cheaper plastic ones are not, mostly because they aren't vented. BMR makes a nice battery mount specificly for 4th gens that bolts into the area where the spare tire is. The switch must be labeled so the saftey crew can quickly shutoff the car ( PUSH OFF or labeled ON and OFF for the turn style), Also remember that the battery box must be grounded or you'll fail tech! You have to wire the on/off switch into the harness so that the switch shuts the car off and not the power to the ECM you can't just have it disconnect the batt becuase the car will run off the alternator and you don't want the ECM to have to relearn.

z28rob18
06-30-2009, 02:34 PM
you dont HAVE to have a sealed box. but if you dont then you need a bulk head for the trunk area. also there is specifications on bolt sizes. and whoever stated that it needs to be frame mounted thanks. i just started my relo and didnt know that. the sealed box is better then a bulk head.

sweetbmxrider
06-30-2009, 04:16 PM
i'm going to have to look at boxes and see what works. thanks for the pointers. i think most switches come with the on/off or push off labels, right? the wiring diagram i have up would kill power to the alternator so i'm good there. gotta find the nhra certified boxes i guess. what bolt sizes have specifications?

racerz
06-30-2009, 10:31 PM
the Moroso "blue box" which is the kit I told u about was the kit that "duke" the head tech guy at Island told me that was one that is acceptable and reasonably priced. Not familiar with affore mentioned boxes but double check that they are NHRA certified.

sweetbmxrider
06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
that blue box looks very nice. i think thats what i will be doing :nod:

racerz
07-01-2009, 04:59 PM
any other questions on install don't hesitate to ask, hope it all works out well 4 ya

LTb1ow
10-17-2009, 11:02 AM
To bump this back up, the battery can be anywhere in the trunk right? The spare tire well is just a 4th gen thing correct?

I am thinking of just switching the N20 bottle into the spare well and mounting the battery on the trunk floor.

transmaro93
10-17-2009, 11:08 AM
^^^ why... i think it looks nicer having the bottle gback there than just some ugly battery... or are you trying to hide it!!! sneaky sneak!OHH I KNOW!! GET A CROSS BAR AND MOUNT THE BOTTLE ON THAT (i dont think you were there for that ordeal) haha... im running front mount batt for a while till i get all the bugs worked out ...

LTb1ow
10-17-2009, 11:13 AM
I just am not liking the battery in the spare area... it didn't work for me. So I am looking at other options.

Def not trying to hide my bottle, any one that knows the car knows its there...

sweetbmxrider
10-17-2009, 04:27 PM
just needs to be a sealed box and meet NHRA requirements where enforced. mine is going on the driver side. also, needs to be mounted to the frame rail to meet NHRA req. and is a good idea IMO.

crossbar would work too :lol:

racerz
10-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Actually, my fab guy always mounted battery on the passenger side. He told me that is where u want the weight because when the engine "torque's over" it helps "preload the suspension during launch.I don't know ur plans 4 ur car but if ur plannin' on any track time u might want 2 reconsider. Mine is in the spare tire area, used 2 b in the center of trunk area, but relocated so we can use trunk area 4 a fuel cell and weight box.

Mike
10-18-2009, 11:22 PM
just needs to be a sealed box and meet NHRA requirements where enforced. mine is going on the driver side. also, needs to be mounted to the frame rail to meet NHRA req. and is a good idea IMO.

crossbar would work too :lol:

it can be on the trunk floor, but you need a certain thickness plate on the bottom side that attaches to all mounting hardware.... (basically cut to the same size as the bottom of the battery box, and used as a spacer when bolting down the box

sweetbmxrider
10-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Actually, my fab guy always mounted battery on the passenger side. He told me that is where u want the weight because when the engine "torque's over" it helps "preload the suspension during launch.I don't know ur plans 4 ur car but if ur plannin' on any track time u might want 2 reconsider. Mine is in the spare tire area, used 2 b in the center of trunk area, but relocated so we can use trunk area 4 a fuel cell and weight box.

i don't think i'll have the room but i completely agree with what you are saying. we'll see what happens!

it can be on the trunk floor, but you need a certain thickness plate on the bottom side that attaches to all mounting hardware.... (basically cut to the same size as the bottom of the battery box, and used as a spacer when bolting down the box

ahh thats good info. definitely helps matt out a bunch.

LTb1ow
10-19-2009, 10:13 AM

This is excellent news. :nod:

sweetbmxrider
11-16-2009, 01:08 PM
isn't it fun pulling the trigger? ordered a blue box, summit pull kill switch, and some MONSTER WIRE. i'll post pics when i do it. :)

Pampered-Z
11-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Note that in order to be NHRA legal the battery box must mount to the frame rails, not just the floor pan. Depending on Tech you could be rejuected?

You really should use a proper mount such as the BMR which is designed for the F-body.

sweetbmxrider
11-16-2009, 03:13 PM
http://www.lmperformance.com/images/parts/small-jpg/br001.jpg

this thing? i'll let matt explain that....

i do plan on mounting to the frame rail. i am going to see if i have room on the passenger side since that would be more beneficial. if not, i have plenty of room on the driver side to mount it correctly on the frame. mike pointed out though, you can have the box tied into the frame with a plate that meets nhra specs.

LTb1ow
11-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I am gonna stay out of this.

:(

sweetbmxrider
11-16-2009, 03:38 PM
well metal and electricity........conduct :wink:

plus with that style mount, you tech need a bulkhead for the trunk area or you can get creative too. this moroso box is cheap enough, legal, plastic, and vents outside the car. works for me! :D

LTb1ow
11-16-2009, 03:42 PM
How do you plan on mounting that sweet blue box you bought?

KirkEvil
11-16-2009, 05:51 PM
isn't it fun pulling the trigger? ordered a blue box, summit pull kill switch, and some MONSTER WIRE. i'll post pics when i do it. :)

Not fun. I gave in and bought the damn kill stick along with some fittings from summit last night. That blue box you got is the same size as mine. If you plan on mounting it like I did, I suggest you put the t tops in the holders and first and work from there.

Where do you plan to drill the hole for the kill stick? tail or burger?

LTb1ow
11-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Not fun. I gave in and bought the damn kill stick along with some fittings from summit last night. That blue box you got is the same size as mine. If you plan on mounting it like I did, I suggest you put the t tops in the holders and first and work from there.

I would do the hole in spare tail light.

And you still need to wire in the alt if you wanna be legit...

KirkEvil
11-16-2009, 06:23 PM
I still have my old center panel, so I was thinking of putting a hole it that

LTb1ow
11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
I still have my old center panel, so I was thinking of putting a hole it that

Yea that would work too, prob just as easy to swap.

sweetbmxrider
11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
How do you plan on mounting that sweet blue box you bought?

with sweet tools yo. got any extra self tappers and zip ties!? :-P

If you plan on mounting it like I did, I suggest you put the t tops in the holders and first and work from there.

definitely going to mock it up with ttops in the car after you showed me yours. i have an extra tail light i will be going through but if you have an extra berger panel, i'd use that. the stick is easy enough to remove for "street" duty its just having to remove both tail lights and the panel that would be the only draw back i guess.

KirkEvil
11-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I was also thinking about drilling a hole in the black panel I have on the car, and just getting a black plug for it when the stick is out. or maybe cover it with a gloss black decal :shifty:

sweetbmxrider
11-16-2009, 06:56 PM
both could work, quite nice too i bet.

LTb1ow
11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Yea, should look nice. Sweet, two guinea pigs. :)

qwikz28
01-18-2010, 04:38 PM
if I relocate to the trunk, will Atco give me crap for not having a kill switch located outside?

LTb1ow
01-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Hahaha, is that a joke?

Atco just asks you to sign a paper, wear a helmet, and go go go.

qwikz28
01-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Hahaha, is that a joke?

Atco just asks you to sign a paper, wear a helmet, and go go go.

I got a little grief last time I went; ie., he asked if I had a DS loop. I plan on running DRs so I don't know if that would prompt them to think my car is way more serious than it really is.

LTb1ow
01-18-2010, 05:23 PM
I got a little grief last time I went; ie., he asked if I had a DS loop. I plan on running DRs so I don't know if that would prompt them to think my car is way more serious than it really is.

Really?

I have never gotten more than, "do you have a helmet?", never had the hood popped, or anything asked.

qwikz28
01-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Really?

I have never gotten more than, "do you have a helmet?", never had the hood popped, or anything asked.

Interesting. Well, that is my answer anyway. I'm going to relocate that bad boy.

sweetbmxrider
01-18-2010, 06:37 PM
tell them you plan on running 13's, should be ok.

LTb1ow
07-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Ok to bump this back up, for the rotary style.... what current rating would be good?

I would like to put it behind the rear plate

sweetbmxrider
07-15-2010, 06:01 PM
at least 150 amps but i'd shoot for 200 plus.

technically, the switch has to be a push off. they make short push pull switches.

LTb1ow
07-15-2010, 06:03 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/3190846073_36197ccd69.jpg?v=0

Illegal?

sweetbmxrider
07-15-2010, 06:31 PM
2010 rulebook:

8:4 MASTER CUTOFF
Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class
Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be
installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily
accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be
connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must
stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The off
position must be clearly indicated with the word “OFF.” If switch is
“push/pull” type, “push” must be the action for shutting off the
electrical system, “pull” to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to
activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch diameter. Plastic or
keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be
located behind rear wheels on rear-engine dragsters.

na na, you good

LTb1ow
07-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Ok cool, I am looking at a 175 continuous duty and 1000surge amperage switch, good enough?

sweetbmxrider
07-15-2010, 06:43 PM
for you, ya

LTb1ow
07-15-2010, 07:01 PM
for you, ya

Whats that supposed to mean pal? :-?

sweetbmxrider
07-15-2010, 07:08 PM
different applications will require different amp ratings :shrug: its simply tech

transmaro93
07-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Whats that supposed to mean pal? :-?

what he means if your car hasnt burned to the ground yet... it probably wont from that...

LTb1ow
07-15-2010, 07:18 PM
what he means if your car hasnt burned to the ground yet... it probably wont from that...

You guys all suck. :|

transmaro93
07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
You guys all suck. :|

ahah itd be funny if my load caught fire after saying that hahah

LTb1ow
07-15-2010, 07:24 PM
ahah itd be funny if my load caught fire after saying that hahah

Just for the record, my car has never burnt through a fuse....

sweetbmxrider
07-15-2010, 07:26 PM
wtf i post tech and get called out? wtf pal

maybe not a fuse but i do remember smelling forearm burning :rofl:

transmaro93
07-15-2010, 08:39 PM
wtf i post tech and get called out? wtf pal

maybe not a fuse but i do remember smelling forearm burning :rofl:

hahahah yea you did get zapped, at least thats the story i heard....he was talking to me with the fuse... and thats because you don't have cool coils!!

sweetbmxrider
07-15-2010, 08:49 PM
yes we all know you are quite silly with your coil packs

LTb1ow
07-16-2010, 07:28 AM
So as the BMX'r brought up, those style switchs are not waterproof, whats the general opinion on placing the switch as shown in the pic above?

Think it will be dry enough?

sweetbmxrider
07-16-2010, 07:33 AM
dry enough up there? ya

down in the bumper? probably gunna get wet. i bet you could make a nice shield for it. maybe even some zip lock bags!

transmaro93
07-16-2010, 04:08 PM
dry enough up there? ya

down in the bumper? probably gunna get wet. i bet you could make a nice shield for it. maybe even some zip lock bags!

hahaha do some kohler fab on it...

_twisted_
09-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Really?

car must be slow, I had a slow looking car go through like that and after the first pass the tech came up and tech'd the car again, many years ago.

chknhwk01
09-26-2010, 11:13 AM
both could work, quite nice too i bet.

what track do u run???/:lol:

sweetbmxrider
09-26-2010, 01:22 PM
what the **** are you talking about player?