PDA

View Full Version : Bracket Racing???

firebirdat
08-03-2009, 12:29 PM
ok so im plannin on going to island this friday, for the f-body vs mustang night. Im plannin on running my trans am. its gonna be my first time running the car down the track, and my first time ever going down a legit quarter mile. Can someone explain to me how exactly im supposed to figure out my et/dial time? its prob a dumb question but its gotten me a little confused.

oh btw im running a bone stock 84 Trans Am, with a 5sp manual, with 3.73's in the back, if that helps anyway.

thanks for any answers and help

Anti_Rice_Guy
08-03-2009, 12:33 PM
You will be able to make a test run or two before the real races start to get a baseline time. Then, you pick an ET of what you think you can run reallllly close to, but you can't run faster than that, or you break out (aka lose automatically). You can change your dial in through the night as you get more familliar/conditions change/etc.

That's the sparknotes version.

TAdan
08-03-2009, 01:21 PM
If it is your first time running make sure you take a few minutes to watch and see how the other races stage at the line, and take a walk to the other end of the track to see where the finish line is, and where the exits for the return road are.

BurninrubberGT
08-03-2009, 03:45 PM
You will be able to make a test run or two before the real races start to get a baseline time. Then, you pick an ET of what you think you can run reallllly close to, but you can't run faster than that, or you break out (aka lose automatically). You can change your dial in through the night as you get more familliar/conditions change/etc.

That's the sparknotes version.

i thought you do a baseline run and they used that? for an idea of what times you should run, my dad ran 15.9 babied down the strip, i think the only performance mod done is a high flow cat

on a side note 3 84 trans am's have posted in this thread :D

Tru2Chevy
08-03-2009, 03:48 PM
i thought you do a baseline run and they used that?

on a side note 3 84 trans am's have posted in this thread :D

No, you set your own dial in time, and you can adjust it each round if you would like.

- Justin

Whiplash Performance
08-03-2009, 03:51 PM
You set your own dial you write it on your window.
The difference between the two times is the head start the slower guy gets.
So that way you can run any two cars together and get a race based on the driver's ET and also how well they know their car.

firebirdat
08-03-2009, 04:35 PM
sorry about putting it in the wrong section. but ive done a little research and according to all the articles ive read about third gens. i estimate my timing to be about 15 secs. but like burnninrubbergt said, his was able to run a 15.9 babied. Would that be a good enough et? what do you guys think?

Tru2Chevy
08-03-2009, 05:39 PM
You can run 24 second times and still win, as long as you are consistent. Bracket racing is all about good reaction times and consistent ETs.

- Justin

kazman
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
...Can someone explain to me how exactly im supposed to figure out my et/dial time?

I'm still trying to figure that one out. I'll be there in the Mustang. You get a couple to time shots so you can see how fast your run. The test runs will give you an idea of what to put on the window for eliminations. Brackets has nothing to do how fast the car is. Cut a good light and run the number you put on the window. My guess is that I'll be running 14.20's.