PDA

View Full Version : Trunk is almost done......on the Nova

1QWIKBIRD
08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Finally, got the trunk all painted and fought it the whole way. Long time ago (6-7 years) I had stripped and prepped and paint the trunk with POR 15 but never top coated it. So I did my homework, checked out their site and they say to used their primer on cured POR 15 before applying Chassis Coat. I cleaned, using their Marine Clean, scuffed with sand paper and applied their primer. Went on easy by brush. Next day I go out and 1/2 to 2/3 of trunk has peeled. :shock: The primer attacked the cured POR 15, bubbled it and cause it to peel off in large chunks (thankfully). So I had to re-strip the trunk, or course now the exterior body is in finish paint. I put down a coat of good old fashioned rustoleum black. Let that dry for a couple days, then masked everything off and applied a couple coats of GM splatter paint. In the end it was all worth it.

I'm done with POR 15 products. I followed their destructions and had a near catastrophe. I think the rustier the metal the better off you are, but if you have good clean metal that stuff just doesn't stick. I didn't even open the can of Chassis Coat for fear it would react in some sort of crazy way.

All that's left now is to finish hooking up some wiring in the trunk for the cut-off switch and the trunk is done.

Pics are a little too bright, but the trunk is black/aqua splatter paint. That stuff is expensive from GM, $15 a can....ouch I bought 3 but only needed 2. So if someone needs a can for some touch up, let me know.

Chris

BonzoHansen
08-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Looks good.

Yeah, I've seen issues with POR on smooth metal too.

WildBillyT
08-05-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm done with POR 15 products. I followed their destructions and had a near catastrophe. I think the rustier the metal the better off you are, but if you have good clean metal that stuff just doesn't stick.

Chris-

First, trunk looks great! Nice job.

As far as the POR adhesion, I've had the exact same experiences. With a lot of "tooth" POR works great, but I've done all the recommended prep stuff to smooth metal only to have it scrape off in big flakes.

sweetbmxrider
08-05-2009, 08:54 AM
it looks really really good!

The Fixer
08-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Awesome job!! Looks totally original, except for the cage. Great look, I love it!

Tru2Chevy
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Looks great Chris!

- Justin

HardcoreZ28
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I've also had issues with POR peeling off of clean metal on me.....even if you use a metal etch first. On heavy rust or porous metal it's fantastic though. Still trying to find another alternative on the good metal.....I've used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator but I feel like that stuff isn't very durable.

1QWIKBIRD
08-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Chris-

First, trunk looks great! Nice job.

As far as the POR adhesion, I've had the exact same experiences. With a lot of "tooth" POR works great, but I've done all the recommended prep stuff to smooth metal only to have it scrape off in big flakes.

Looks good.

Yeah, I've seen issues with POR on smooth metal too.

I've also had issues with POR peeling off of clean metal on me.....even if you use a metal etch first. On heavy rust or porous metal it's fantastic though. Still trying to find another alternative on the good metal.....I've used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator but I feel like that stuff isn't very durable.

In some way this make me feel better, that I'm not alone in this. The kicker is that the POR 15 was applied 7-8 years ago and gave no indication it would peel off, but their etching primer acted like a stripper more than a primer and caused the POR 15 to bubble and lift. I was sick:barf: That had me completely paranoid about putting the Chassis Coat Top Coat down. Who knows how that would have reacted. And so long story short $150 later, and hours of frustration I ended up where I wanted to.

Thanks to all for the kinds words. I am pretty happy.

HardcoreZ28
08-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Just for curiousity I would call them and ask about that reaction you had.....the guys there are usually very knowledgable and helpful.

emolineaux
08-13-2009, 07:38 PM
look really good.