PDA

View Full Version : Cash For Clunkers, thought those videos were bad?

deadtrend1
09-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Here the official list:

http://www.cars.gov/files/official-information/trade-in-vehicles.pdf

So someone actually junked a 87 GNX, an 89 20th Anniversary Turbo TA, and a couple GMC Typhoons??? :shock:

NJ Torque
09-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Where did you see GNX??

Anti_Rice_Guy
09-23-2009, 07:02 PM
like the 5th one down from the very top. 1987 GNX is my guess.

WildBillyT
09-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Right at the beginning, under ASC Incorporated.

NJ Torque
09-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Right at the beginning, under ASC Incorporated.

Oh. I just scrolled down to buick.

If someone did trade that in, they lost on that deal... Big time.

Tru2Chevy
09-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Oh. I just scrolled down to buick.

If someone did trade that in, they lost on that deal... Big time.

Yea, same with the '89 TTA

- Justin

BigRocsFirebird
09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
wow that just makes me sick. how could someone trade that in

Whiplash Performance
09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
So did the dealership!
The dealership should have been like we'll give you 3,500 for the GNX and kept it for themselves!

deadtrend1
09-23-2009, 07:26 PM
wow that just makes me sick. how could someone trade that in
Easy ...

Drove it to the lot and said ... "I'm a idiot that wants to trade this in, does this qualify?"

And the dealer that wants to make money selling cars replied "Yep, now lets get you into a brand new scion"

BlackBADaSS02
09-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Why would someone junk a 97 Aston Martin DB7 Volante? Not my favorite AM, but still worth more than the CFC rebate.

91chevywt
09-23-2009, 07:34 PM
In their defense, they could have been totally wrecked or something not worth being salvaged. I'm against cash for clunkers program but i'm sure they probably weren't anything worth saving

deadtrend1
09-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Because they own them and can do what they want with them.

Not saying people make the smartest decisions, unfortunetly

sweetbmxrider
09-23-2009, 07:37 PM
what if they were total POS's? i'm sure some nice cars got traded in but i'm sure some dead end projects were gladly handed over for $4500!

12secondv6
09-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Only one dodge neon turned in - and it was a 1998!

See, DOGE NEON FTW!!!!!

FlyingDutchman
09-23-2009, 08:45 PM
arrrggghhh it wont let me see the list :( file is broken?

Anti_Rice_Guy
09-23-2009, 09:03 PM
arrrggghhh it wont let me see the list :( file is broken?

Nope, it works still.

Czop418
09-23-2009, 09:12 PM
hahah 4th gen trans am lt1 FTW!!! There are none on that list but i do see 14 ls1's :p

Take that fan boy's. Us LT guys love our motors more :)

Tru2Chevy
09-23-2009, 09:22 PM
In their defense, they could have been totally wrecked or something not worth being salvaged. I'm against cash for clunkers program but i'm sure they probably weren't anything worth saving

what if they were total POS's? i'm sure some nice cars got traded in but i'm sure some dead end projects were gladly handed over for $4500!

All cars had to be running and drivable when turned in.

Any GNX or TTA in that condition is worth more than $4500.

- Justin

91chevywt
09-23-2009, 09:44 PM
i'm thinking cars that may be rotted, have a bent frame, or terrible body damage. Its possible/probable they could have had their precioius drivetrains removed and replaced with something else before trading

EchoMirage
09-23-2009, 10:47 PM
what about the 99-03 escalades. no way were they worth under 4500.

NJ Torque
09-23-2009, 11:45 PM
i'm thinking cars that may be rotted, have a bent frame, or terrible body damage. Its possible/probable they could have had their precioius drivetrains removed and replaced with something else before trading

A true GNX body is worth that for just the VIN plates...

NjbadSS
09-24-2009, 12:25 AM
what about the 99-03 escalades. no way were they worth under 4500.

that is exactly what caught my eye...unreallllllllllll

Mike
09-24-2009, 07:59 AM
who gives a ****, these people OWNED these cars, it is their prerogative to do whatever they want with them.

miketa95
09-24-2009, 08:14 AM
i noticed a few 2007 vehicles. Silverado and avalanche to be exact. How could they be c4c?

WildBillyT
09-24-2009, 08:21 AM
i noticed a few 2007 vehicles. Silverado and avalanche to be exact. How could they be c4c?

The bodies of the cars could be busted up or something like that.

Think about this:

What if a new or rare car was in an accident, had the frame tweaked, got "fixed" and was never the same? Good reason to C4C it, even if it was relatively new or "valuable".

BigAls87Z28
09-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Who the hell would junk a 93 caprice 9c1?

Mike
09-24-2009, 08:35 AM

police departments nationwide did it for years with their crappy drivers

Blacdout96
09-24-2009, 08:47 AM
I also see a 93 RX-7 on there as well. I can only hope that some of these cars were nothign more then rolling chassis, or somethign beyond repair, not just driven up and traded in, if so I sense a lynching mob seeking these people.

jims69camaro
09-24-2009, 09:07 AM
dead end projects

no such animal. if you have enough patience, time and money, there is no such thing as a lost cause.

it breaks my heart to see such cars on the list. i knew things like this would happen with such a program. how is it that our government can consistently make me violently ill?

WildBillyT
09-24-2009, 09:14 AM
no such animal. if you have enough patience, time and money, there is no such thing as a lost cause.

it breaks my heart to see such cars on the list. i knew things like this would happen with such a program. how is it that our government can consistently make me violently ill?

If a project is bad enough there is only a certain small group of people who have the massive amount of time and/or money to bring a car back from the dead.

JL8Jeff
09-24-2009, 09:18 AM
And now we are already seeing some of the new CFC cars showing up back on dealer lots after people could not make payments. CFC was a bad idea for a lot of reasons. But then now would be a good time to get a great deal on an almost new car! :lol:

Frosty
09-24-2009, 10:05 AM
I also see a 93 RX-7 on there as well. I can only hope that some of these cars were nothign more then rolling chassis, or somethign beyond repair, not just driven up and traded in, if so I sense a lynching mob seeking these people.

Can't be rollers, vehicles must be running and in drivable condition.

I sure see a lot of non-"clunkers" on that list. Yay for my $$$ going to help people trade in '03 Lincoln's so they can get new ones....

maroman88
09-24-2009, 10:22 AM
really... a 2004 silverado hybrid... wasnt that not the point

Blacdout96
09-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I saw those hybrids goign for 60K at Kerbeck.....USED btw!!!!

LTb1ow
09-24-2009, 10:47 AM
who gives a ****, these people OWNED these cars, it is their prerogative to do whatever they want with them.

http://msp255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/mrheavymetal_01/wahmbulance.jpg

8-)

Blacdout96
09-24-2009, 10:49 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HeadlessNorseman
09-24-2009, 11:47 AM
im mad that i was forced to help pay for it :(

LS1Hawk
09-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Here's a good article about Cash for Clunkers. Shows the program will do no good...the "Not Saving Fuel" section is interesting:

http://autos.aol.com/article/cash-for-clunkers-greenwash

Frosty
09-24-2009, 12:18 PM
im mad that i was forced to help pay for it :(

But hey, it's keeping union jobs intact.:rolleyes: Funny how that works isn't it?

EchoMirage
09-24-2009, 01:22 PM
what the **** do you have against unions

LTb1ow
09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
They ask for more and more until the ruin the company?

87GTA
09-24-2009, 01:52 PM

Maybe some guy named Big Al....LOL

Frosty
09-24-2009, 02:23 PM

There isn't enough bandwidth on this site to list my reasons....but my comment wasn't geared towards "why unions are bad". It's not hard to figure out based on the way things are right now. It's nothing more than politicians taking care of their own and keeping their voting base.

WildBillyT
09-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Maybe some guy named Big Al....LOL

No, it was acutally 2 girls.

Mike
09-24-2009, 03:11 PM
http://msp255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/mrheavymetal_01/wahmbulance.jpg

8-)

really? this whole thread is people crying that OTHER people traded in THEIR cars. and you think im crying for calling that out?

LTb1ow
09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Really reallys.

EchoMirage
09-24-2009, 03:49 PM
There isn't enough bandwidth on this site to list my reasons....but my comment wasn't geared towards "why unions are bad". It's not hard to figure out based on the way things are right now. It's nothing more than politicians taking care of their own and keeping their voting base.

uh huh......and you think UNIONS are the reason why the big 3 are in trouble? not the fact that people keep buying jap cars, REGARDLESS of where they are assembled, the money still goes back to japan, NOT THE USA. if it wasnt for unions no one would have a job, whether it was private sector or organized, because everyone would simply higher mexicans from under the fence for $4/hr. if it wasnt for the unions on the outside looking in, providing an alternative for the private sector worker to come to if his job conditions were cut, the unemployment rate would be 5 times what it already is now.

ive worked both sides, ive seen the quality of work difference between union and scab on the SAME JOB. until youve gone through an apprenticeship and worked union, you dont know what youre talking about and have no right to ever say a bad word about unions.

Mike
09-24-2009, 03:51 PM
and money from American cars goes in the board of directors pockets, not into the country, its a revolving argument that will never change anyone's opinions. the horse is dead

Frosty
09-24-2009, 03:57 PM
:rofl: I love how union guys go off in a tangent about stuff when no one attacked the union. God forbid someone disagrees with a union. However that wasn't the point of my comment which you intelligently missed. C4C was, in part, a political game for those in power to give back to those that helped vote them in. Nice job going on and on and blah blah blah about unions being great when that wasn't even the topic. Now, if you want to discuss why unions can be bad I'd be more than happy to oblige...however that's for another time.

..and on a final note I HAVE been in a union..granted it wasn't a lustrous one but a powerful one nonetheless and I have SEEN what they can do to companies. So yes, I do have the experience to back up my point of view...so go bark up some other tree and leave me alone with your "ra ra all unions are great" BS.

EDIT: One last thing, I don't know why you're getting so defensive Echo, I never said union workers are bad people, horrible workers, unskilled etc. You're twisting my words to play the martyr. Actually READ what I'm saying instead of going into defense mode so quickly.

LTb1ow
09-24-2009, 03:59 PM
http://open.salon.com/files/rabblerabble1251158120.jpg

Rabble.

EchoMirage
09-24-2009, 05:53 PM

and how the hell is THAT not knocking unions? how is someone supposed to interpret that and anything other then 'unions are bad, just look at how things are, that's why'???

i have SEEN scabs **** things up way more then a union man ever could. ive seen time and money WASTED on fixing rookie mistakes because they hired a mexican scab to do a job that was originally a union mans position.

if you think its still BS then you really have no clue as to what youre talking about and im not going to waste another minute on your ass.

bark up this tree next time

FlyingDutchman
09-24-2009, 06:05 PM
. . . still cant see the list :( . . .

**edit

yeaaa! it worked! :-P

BigAls87Z28
09-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Ok, with the BS about your tax dollars paying for it.

I also pay taxes. Ive been paying taxes for a decade now.
I got a big tax rebate. You didnt take it? You didnt want to participate in it?
Then dont say its YOUR money that payed for MY car.
MY taxes paid for MY car.

BigAls87Z28
09-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Lots of 91-92 Thirdgens got scrapped...
My car was one of 293 1993 Caprice's that got canned...thats a lot of TBI's down the drain.

Frosty
09-24-2009, 08:10 PM
and how the hell is THAT not knocking unions? how is someone supposed to interpret that and anything other then 'unions are bad, just look at how things are, that's why'???

i have SEEN scabs fyck things up way more then a union man ever could. ive seen time and money WASTED on fixing rookie mistakes because they hired a mexican scab to do a job that was originally a union mans position.

if you think its still BS then you really have no clue as to what youre talking about and im not going to waste another minute on your ass.

Dude, you're still going off on this tangent, I never questioned your skills, nor did I question the skills of your co-workers. You went off on this tangent about skilled labor and blah blah blah because I made the comment about saving those union jobs. My intial comment had everything to do with the politics of it, NOTHING to do with your skill or experience or the good/bad of unions. You then want to play Billy Badass and educate me on why I shouldn't think they're bad(when I initially didn't make a comment regarding their worth) Maybe it's not clicking or you're somehow trying to convince me or yourself that you're a good worker. I'm sure you are and that's great....but completely irrelevant. Keep going on your rant when it's not even the basis of the argument, lol.

BTW, if you even want to break it down even more my comment would've been about the UAW had I been specific which even further reduces your argument. So keep on going man.

BTW, I wasn't attacking you in any way, no need to get all upset over a comment that didn't even have anything to do with you. :rofl:

For the record, to show I don't think ALL unions are bad I actually really hope the employees of Walmart can somehow band together and create one like the European division did. There was talk of it a few years ago but it hasn't happened yet. So yeah.....

Lots of 91-92 Thirdgens got scrapped...
My car was one of 293 1993 Caprice's that got canned...thats a lot of TBI's down the drain.

Yeah its, I wonder what the guys on TGO are going to do now, lol.

JL8Jeff
09-24-2009, 09:35 PM

It's obvious the auto unions did some serious damage to the big 3. You can't compare unions in all trades to the auto union, but man did they do some damage. I've talked to a bunch of ex GM workers who said they were paid to sit on their ars 8 hours a day for years to not work! I'm not quite sure how that helps keep the cost of the cars down to competetive levels but it's a stupid idea and bad situation. And yet the same unions still seem to think they shoud be able to do that in this day and economy! :shock:

Czop418
09-24-2009, 09:52 PM
... Hey you cant really compare union to non. Everybody works different. Ive been on plenty of jobs , were 4 times a month there were picketing. Were the union guys would pop our tires to our work trucks. I was on jobs were the eclectricians would turn off the power at 3:30 even though 2 other companies work till 6:00. Dont compare , every union , every company , Its ALL different.

Savage_Messiah
09-25-2009, 02:17 AM
Here the official list:

http://www.cars.gov/files/official-information/trade-in-vehicles.pdf

So someone actually junked a 87 GNX, an 89 20th Anniversary Turbo TA, and a couple GMC Typhoons??? :shock:

i swear if i find the ones that traded those ones you listed in...

Mike, look at it this way. I'm just sayin', I woulda much rather given them the 3500-4500 they got for their car anyway... and kept the car...

Tsar
09-25-2009, 09:26 AM

i have SEEN scabs fyck things up way more then a union man ever could. ive seen time and money WASTED on fixing rookie mistakes because they hired a mexican scab to do a job that was originally a union mans position.

Next time, to save you all this typing, just tell him you will stick it in his pooper - if he mentions unions again. You, Billy badass, you.

Blacdout96
09-25-2009, 09:54 AM
:funny: :funny:

Frosty
09-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Next time, to save you all this typing, just tell him you will stick it in his pooper - if he mentions unions again. You, Billy badass, you.

LOL

EchoMirage
09-25-2009, 03:57 PM

eat **** you arrogant prick

Blacdout96
09-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Alright guys, cool down a bit here, regardless of what or who we want to point the finger of blame at, the end result are programs like these that really bring the idiots who know nothign of what they have out of the wood works, and it's ashame that some of the cars I saw on that list were given to the dealership, instead of given to an enthusiest, or parted out to people who really could have used them.

We wonder how rare cars can become super rare, and this is a good example of how that happens.