PDA

View Full Version : battery disconnect rules

Fast92RS
10-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Ok here is one for you guys with the rule books. I have relocated my battery to the trunk and istalled a push/ pull switch. Now what I need to know is, does the rod that you use to push the swicth off have to be a metal rod or can I use a push/pull cable? One like you would use for a choke but a heavy duty one. Im thinking of using a cable from a Heavy duty Diesel truck. On older diesels there is a cable the operates a throttle blade. When you pull it, it chokes the engine and shuts it down. This way I have a little more of an option of where I locate the cable at the rear of the car.

Fast92RS
10-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Found my rule book, I thought I lost it in the move. Under 8:4 general regulations its says any rods or cables must be a minimum of 1/8" diameter. So I guess I can use a cable.

sweetbmxrider
10-17-2009, 04:29 PM
good info thanks for posting it

1QWIKBIRD
10-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Found my rule book, I thought I lost it in the move. Under 8:4 general regulations its says any rods or cables must be a minimum of 1/8" diameter. So I guess I can use a cable.

I'd be careful with that. A cable that is 1/8th thick? Not the jacket/housing, but the cable itself is 1/8th thick, that's a pretty serious cable. I know the fuel cut off your talking about on the old diesels. Just make double sure before you go through all kinds of effort and then get shot down at tech. That would suck.

How thick are the cables they use for the chutes on the cars that require them?

Chris

LTb1ow
10-17-2009, 11:17 PM
The shut downs for diesels are pretty thick, I know the 8-71s etc are some big solenoids to operate the cable.

Even a smaller setup has at least a 1/16 cable.