PDA

View Full Version : NNJR AutoX 4/3....Good Day

1QWIKBIRD
04-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Finally got back out on course today. Only made it out once last year for various reasons, none of which are all that exciting. But today 198ESP1 and myself loaded up and headed to Englishtown for NNJR season opener. We co-drove my car, on a set of his tires (older, but still serviceable V710's 315/35/17) in C-prepared. Good class, great guys and competitive top to bottom. It was kinda of a Mustang Vs. F-body day with the mustangs carrying the flag unfortunately. I think there were 3 Mustangs versus 2 Firebirds. My car was a 2 driver car and one of the Mustangs was a 2 driver car, so 7 drivers in class. Weather was perfect. The lot at E-town is showing its age and was kinda gravelely (sp?) by the end of the day. We got 4 runs in the morning and 4 runs in the afternoon. My morning runs produced my best time or 41.6xx which was good for mid pack, but unfortunately I couldn't beat in in the afternoon. The driver needs more seat time:nod:

It was fun to co-drive my car with someone else who is a very capable driver, compare notes and get a feel for where the limit is. I found myself not driving hard enough/not looking ahead and generally not focusing at a high enough level on the first couple runs. Then 198ESP1 started giving me the "Drive it harder" "DRIVE IT HARDER" speech. And he was right, as I went from 44.xxx +2 cones to a 46.xx off course, then after the pep talk dropped it down to a 42.xxx clean. So the potential was there. Last run of the morning session produced my best run of the day 41.651. Car felt good.

The afternoon session started off decent with a 42.xxx, but I was hoping to build upon morning time. Unfortunately that didn't happen as I clicked off a few more uninspiring times of 43.xxx +1 cone, 43.xxx clean and finally on the last run of the day I got back down to 42.148, but couldn't get back in the 41's. Definitely gotta get more seat time and get out on a consistent basis to build up the skill set.

Links to results:

Raw times http://www.autox4u.com/2010results/432010_fin.htm

Pax times http://www.autox4u.com/2010results/432010_pax.htm

The firechicken's new name is the FATchicken. The car needs to go on a diet (driver too for that matter). My car mostly stock is in the 3600lb range and most of the other cars in class are 3300lb down to 2900lbs +/-, so I am dragging a boat anchor compared to the rest of the class. I also need to get my suspension parts installed to dial in some more negative camber and eliminate the worn rubber bushings up front.

It was also the first time I trailered the car to the event. What a difference, the day is so much more relaxed in the morning not having to stuff the car full of tires and gear, then arrive at the event and thrash to swap tires, register, walk the course, get through tech etc, etc. Very nice to arrive, unload go straight to registration, tech and then be free to walk the course. The big Cummins powered Dodge pulled just fine, the trailer towed beautiful and loading/unloading the car wasn't too bad either. A winch would be nice, but driving the car on and off isn't too bad for now. At the end of the day, just load the car and go. No swapping tires after driving or chasing cones all day.

Good day, car ran well, made it home in one piece. Thanks for the tires 198ESP1.

creeper
04-04-2010, 12:06 PM
nice. i'm hoping to make it to more than one event this year. there's one at giants stadium next sunday i'll be going to. the lot is nice and freshly paved so it should be fun.

198esp1
04-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the codrive yesterday, yep time to put the Fatchicken on a diet. I think we got about 90% out of it yesterday. I could of drove alot better but for the first time out this year not bad.

thunder
04-04-2010, 08:29 PM
what does it take to have ur car pass tech at these? i really wanna go

creeper
04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
where I run they check to make sure your battery is secure and your wheels aren't loose and that's it

1QWIKBIRD
04-05-2010, 06:39 PM
nice. i'm hoping to make it to more than one event this year. there's one at giants stadium next sunday i'll be going to. the lot is nice and freshly paved so it should be fun.

I signed up for the AM today. Only 1 spot left for the AM session. Are you in?

where I run they check to make sure your battery is secure and your wheels aren't loose and that's it

Battery secure, no floor mats or other junk in the car, wheels/hubs tight. That's about it. Some places might flag you if your car is excessively loud, but I don't think MSNE is one of those places. An SCCA sanctioned event would be more concerned about noise I think.

Thanks for the codrive yesterday, yep time to put the Fatchicken on a diet. I think we got about 90% out of it yesterday. I could of drove alot better but for the first time out this year not bad.

Definitely going to Giants Stadium on Sunday, might do Saturday at E-town again. So plan accordingly.....

198esp1
04-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I think im out for the weekend, Im going to try and start the new engine soon ecu will be hear tomorrow. I got to get going, I want to get it out at least 2 times before DC. I like the new avatar post some of the pics. I like the one of me going in to the slalom .

creeper
04-06-2010, 07:24 AM
I signed up for the AM today. Only 1 spot left for the AM session. Are you in?

I'll be going to the later one. I'm really not a morning person hahah. Echomirage, maybe 1Quickz28, and a friend of mine who's picking up a wrecked TA this week to screw around with will probably be there if you wanna stick around.

creeper
04-10-2010, 06:44 PM
k sooo pretty much everyone else will be busy but me and echo will be there

2MCHPWR
04-19-2010, 07:55 PM
good job guys!
I miss that car :(
Its always hard to take a perfect street car and start gutting it out to make it a race car but I also feel the need to get more extreme. Its a fine line and hard to straddle when the competitive juices are flowing. With F-body prices falling every year, you might want to get a beater and make it in to a race car instead of ripping up the formula.