PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Placement Question

HardcoreZ28
06-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Hey guys....I'm reassembling an interior on an 84 El Camino for a customer and he dropped one on me the other day. The car originally came with just 2 speakers in the dash. To go with his new headunit and front speakers he'd like to add some rear ones.

I'm a bit stumped on placement. Had he told me sooner I could have ordered special door panels that have a section molded right in for a 6" speaker. But I already got stock ones and glued the carpeting onto them. It looks like I may be able to flush mount a 4" speaker into the door still if I cut a hole at the bottom.

There is also a panel that runs under the rear window behind the seats with metal support behind it. I could fit a 4" in there as well. I was thinking this may be a better spot and I could put two 4"s in there centered under the rear window. This may aim them directly between the headrests on the seats so they aren't muffled at all.

Which option would be better? Any better ideas for placement?

V
06-09-2010, 05:53 PM
id say with a 4channel radio, the 2 rear speakers would ideally be behind the occupants and seperated noticeably right and left, so centered wouldn't be the best idea.... however with 4" speakers, i can tell premium stereo quality is not the goal, just something obviously better than stock.

would you be able to post pics of an el camino interior cause off hand i have no idea of the stock interior setup/location of seats etc.

i know this is the wrong year el camino, and very custom, but it gives an idea as to where id suggest locating the rear speakers... the ones in the upper corners. i wouldnt worry about sounds being muffled, also i would recommend 6.5 speakers.
http://image.chevyhiperformance.com/f/9063678/0501_05z+1966_Chevrolet_El_Camino+Interior.jpg

3rdGenHardtop
06-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Forget the rear speakers, that would be awful, especially in such a small cab. I'd look into Q-Logic's Q-forms and drop a 6.5" in the kick panel area. Maybe a set for a G-body or a F-body modified to fit. I'd reinforce the q-forms, but they give you a nice starting point...