PDA

View Full Version : whats your take on buying cars out of state?

madness410
07-14-2010, 10:05 PM
im looking into new cars and i will have to go to a dealer to finance. and i disregard any car i see that is out of state. is that a bad idea?..if i bought a car out of state and say theres no sales tax, do i get slammed with it if i bring it back into jersey? im totally clueless about this, what are some general ups and downs of buying a car out of state?

Featherburner
07-14-2010, 10:11 PM
One way or another you will pay NJ sales tax. Either through the out of state dealer or on your own.

greenformula92
07-14-2010, 10:42 PM
most good dealers will charge you the NJ sales tax up front....either in or out of state

madness410
07-14-2010, 10:55 PM
ok then its a pita to transfer titles from state to state?

SteveR
07-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Every time I've bought a car out of state at a dealer they didnt charge tax. They charge you for an in-transit tag and you pay tax in the state you register it in when you go to register it.

CHRIS67
07-15-2010, 05:51 AM
Every time I've bought a car out of state at a dealer they didnt charge tax. They charge you for an in-transit tag and you pay tax in the state you register it in when you go to register it.

Yup. If you plan on financing the car just keep in mind the DMV doesn't have a payment plan for tax. Got slammed for over $1K the last time when I registered the car.

JL8Jeff
07-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Don't disregard out of state dealers, it's no big deal buying from another state, especially when buying new. No matter where you buy a car, you have to pay NJ sales tax. You can usually roll that into the financing but check with the dealer so they know. Lots of dealers will handle all the dmv and tax stuff for you but they'll add a fee for doing it. The title will end up going to your finance company until you pay off the loan so transferring titles or getting it titled isn't too big of a deal.

WildBillyT
07-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Don't disregard out of state dealers, it's no big deal buying from another state, especially when buying new. No matter where you buy a car, you have to pay NJ sales tax. You can usually roll that into the financing but check with the dealer so they know. Lots of dealers will handle all the dmv and tax stuff for you but they'll add a fee for doing it. The title will end up going to your finance company until you pay off the loan so transferring titles or getting it titled isn't too big of a deal.

Yup. You don't pay tax in the state you buy it in, you pay it in NJ when you go to register. So you can't go to DE for big savings in tax. And you won't "own" the car until you pay it off, so no big deal with the title.

Whiplash Performance
07-15-2010, 08:51 AM
I've bought a few cars out of state.
One dealership did all of the paperwork for me and I paid them the NJ sales tax and charged me a $100.00 fee to register it.

The other dealership gave me a temp tag and I had to go to DMV to register it.

69RSZ
07-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I have bought all my new cars from Reedman chevrolet in Langhorn,allways got the best price from them.Local dealers cant even compare as Reedman has such a big inventory they blow away other dealers as far as price.And NJ allways gets their money!! You can pay at the dealer or pay when you register the car here.It doesnt matter if you buy here or out of state, new car warrantys have to be honored at all dealerships also.

79CamaroDiva
07-15-2010, 11:19 AM
what everyone else said. I decided to pay my NJ sales tax up all at once instead of rolling it into my financing when I bought my Camaro.. it was about $1000, but was well worth not financing that too.

methdmx
07-15-2010, 08:41 PM
yea I forgot about the NJ tax so when I went to register and transfer my plates the lady at the DMV was like "that will be $1200." :oops:
Luckily, she ass-umed I had temp tags and said I could drive around until they expired and gather the money in the meantime. Too bad the dealer I bought the car from just took my plates from my old car and put them on my T/A :shifty:
:drive:

Tru2Chevy
07-17-2010, 04:44 PM
My wife's Jeep is the only car we have purchased from a dealer, and we purchased it at Reedman-Toll in Langhorn. They put a PA temp tag on it at the time of purchase, and they mailed us a NJ registration and NJ plates a few weeks later. Tax was rolled into the loan. After we paid the loan off, we received the NJ title in the mail from the bank.

- Justin