PDA

View Full Version : Paint car myself?

MaxTheKiing
08-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Hey yall, i had to replace a fender and the front bumper cover of my 97 camaro. Is there anywhere i can go that will match the color of my car (which is the mystic teal) and sell it to me so i can just spray the parts by myself?

Green_Phoenix_LT1
08-23-2010, 06:15 AM
For our type of color its not just a matching type deal. Its a two stage process with a pearl type finish. Unless you know how to do that then your probably not gonna be able to do it right.

BigRocsFirebird
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
yeah my nose and rear bumper also the side trim needs to be done. I think it would be pretty damn hard to shoot our color. I shot my mustang last weekend with metallic flake paint and that was a little tricky for my second time painting.

formula77
08-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Any body shop supply place can match your color, but your defanetly gonna have to blend to the adjacent panel to get an exact color match! these types triple stage colors are not easty to do but there is a standad method of doing this. If you use PPG they have a very helpfull tech line and they can walk you threw the hole process!

btownws6
08-23-2010, 02:19 PM
like they said the 3 stage isnt too easy to match and you should always blend adjacent when it's not a solid color but you can always try.

1998chevycamaroz28
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
even solid colors...if its not a relatively new paint job then you should blend anyway...just looks bad when the color doesnt match...better to do it right the first time then have to pay to do it right the 2nd time

MaxTheKiing
08-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Meh, i really want to fix the body up and get it painted... but i REALLY wanna do it myself. I love to do projects to my car, even if it doesnt come up "show" quality, id perfer to do it myself.

Also, what is your thoughts on spray painting the car and doing clear coats? I've personally seen this done by my uncle, and it actually came out good. He prep'd it really really well, coated it a couple times with spray paint, then clear coated it a couple times and it look good for what its worth. ( 3 free weekends, nice weather, couple cases of spray paint, case of clear coat, and a case of beer of course)