PDA

View Full Version : POR-15 or Rust Bullet?

wretched73
01-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Saw this stuff called Rust Bullet on TGO and was wondering which would be the better option?

I was planning on painting most of the interior rust and rust on the bottom or my car with POR-15 but was curious if anyone knew anything about this stuff? Seems like quality stuff to me but was curious if anyone had some feedback

Their site:
http://www.rustbullet.com/Products/Automotive/Automotive.asp

HardcoreZ28
01-02-2011, 06:07 PM
This is the first I've heard of it. I've been using POR 15 for over 15 years and it never lets me down.

BonzoHansen
01-02-2011, 06:08 PM
POR works fine as long as the surface is prepared as directed. I have had bad luck on smooth surfaces. it needs rough, dry, unpainted metal

wretched73
01-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Thank you gentlemen, that was exactly what I was looking for. I have used POR before and it has bee great so far. But bonzo you are defenitly right when you say it doesn't seem to adhere as well to smoother surfaces.

Fast92RS
01-03-2011, 08:34 AM
I always had good results with POR 15.

JL8Jeff
01-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I think Rust Bullet is the stuff Stacey David uses on his projects. It seems very similar to POR 15.

HardcoreZ28
01-05-2011, 08:42 AM
The key to POR is all in the prep....they don't sell those fancy prep chemicals just to make more money...they actually are essential. I've had it peel before when I tried to skip the metal ready step on clean metal. If you use the prep products to etch the metal adhesion is great.

WildBillyT
01-05-2011, 08:46 AM
The key to POR is all in the prep....they don't sell those fancy prep chemicals just to make more money...they actually are essential. I've had it peel before when I tried to skip the metal ready step on clean metal. If you use the prep products to etch the metal adhesion is great.

Same here. I had it come off in sheets on clean, smooth metal. But the one drip that I got on my transmission case (rough 60's casting) could survive a tactical nuclear strike. Go figure.

HardcoreZ28
01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Yeah tell me about it.....I've had to strip that stuff before and it's not easy

IROCZman15
01-11-2011, 09:22 PM
i used por-15 on the underside of my camaro. used all the prep materials as instructed. te surface i actually sanded somewhat smooth, but from teh wire wheel it was rough enough. i went to the por-15 headquarters near morristown nj and spoke witht hem and told them i was gong to adhear it to a somewhat smooth surface.. and they showed me some samples that they did on smooth surfaces. what im saying is that as long as you use the chemicals as instructed (there is liek 2 pages of directions on prep work and whatnt)..you should be fine. see pics of my work here if you want to. i have no had even one hint of it peeling off even near the exhaust and exhaust cutout. http://iroczman15.webs.com/2010carwork.htm