PDA

View Full Version : Atco

WildBillyT
02-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes, it's just thirdhand info, but I was just told this:

For anyone who has ever raced at Atco in NJ, you know how their tech inspections are. My good friend that I race with went to the drivers meeting last Sunday and they say they are gonna start teching cars real hard this year. Just a heads up for everyone.

Anybody else go to that meeting?

LTb1ow
02-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Would be news for me, if they do tighten up I am sure we will hear it as soon as the south crew gets back to the track in a week or so.

sweetbmxrider
02-15-2011, 10:21 AM
I heard this was going to happen due to the number of incidents last year. Sucks but its for the greater good.

BonzoHansen
02-15-2011, 02:27 PM
the state might be doing some crackdowns. I hear the state is forcing NJMSP to require full face helments on the lightning and thunderbolt tracks.

mc73nova
02-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Glad to hear that. The only people that try to fool tech are fooling themselves. They run the risk of injuring themselves or others. Good job Atco :nod:

Artful Dodger
02-15-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm glad to hear it! It just makes the sport that much safer for those participating and watching.

LTb1ow
02-15-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm glad to hear it! It just makes the sport that much safer for those participating and watching.

Eh.

I would be happier to see less cars breaking down/blowing up at the track, which going strict on tech may cut down on.

sweetbmxrider
02-16-2011, 07:21 AM
Um, yeah. There were a few bad accidents last season too. Its a good thing pal, gives reason to your 3 foot studs.

LTb1ow
02-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Um, yeah. There were a few bad accidents last season too. Its a good thing pal, gives reason to your 3 foot studs.

While yes, it makes all my work at pleasing island tech worthwhile, for atco to do it right they prob need another tech guy or two, and that means higher door fees.

So as long as it remains cheaper than etown, its not a bad thing, ricers = poor. Yes, huge general blanket statement. wah. :lol:

Cause its not slow cars like mine that have issues at the track, its more of fast cars that really skimp on what they should have safety wise that have accidents.

NJ346
02-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Hopefully they wont tech me too hard when I go through with slicks. My exhaust setup doesn't allow for a driveshaft loop to clear and I have closed end lugs.

WildBillyT
02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Hopefully they wont tech me too hard when I go through with slicks. My exhaust setup doesn't allow for a driveshaft loop to clear and I have closed end lugs.

You aren't using the stock DS, correct?

NJ346
02-16-2011, 11:13 AM
You aren't using the stock DS, correct?

Correct, using a custom 3.5in one.

Sprayed 99
02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
from what i understand drive shaft loops and aftermarket axles on cars faster than 13.49?(not 100%sure on that exact et) are a couple of the things they will be cracking down on. no more warnings either, faster than 11.49 w/out a roll bar and your out. same goes for 9.99 or faster, no cage, chassis cert, comp lic, or correct saftery equip you're done......as per joe sway

BarneyMobile
02-16-2011, 05:52 PM
I hope I don't get the boot if I squeak out a 9.99, I have everything to stay legal to 10.0

SRGN
02-16-2011, 11:00 PM
I'll just leave mine tuned mild until I get the recert on my cage. Other than that, it will be good to know that the guy in the other lane has the proper safety equipment.

Raist103
02-17-2011, 08:28 AM
most important question here is where did you get that avatar pic lts1ow?

but on topic the owner was in court for months last year over the death and big crash during a rental. so they are tightening up for sure.

98tadriver
02-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Yep, theyre definately cracking down now

I hope I don't get the boot if I squeak out a 9.99, I have everything to stay legal to 10.0

just put 10.0 on your windows so they think youre a 10.0 bracket car. youll be ok! lol

i hope they dont break balls about letting off after the 1/8th mile

LTb1ow
02-19-2011, 03:48 PM
So I should actually get a fire jacket now?

Blackbirdws6
02-21-2011, 07:09 AM

You won't be going faster than 12's so don't sweat too much ;).

Being serious, hopefully you won't need a jacket but maybe bring one with you to show them (I know they don't fit you). I do see the benefits of having a more strict tech inspection however for my own selfish reasons, I'm not thrilled about it. Atco was the only place where they didn't bust my balls about a roll-bar. I have one now but I imagine with the power my car will be putting down shortly, other mods will be necessary to stay legal. Depending on how strict they get, you will likely see an increase at the door due not only to more staff but also less racers coming to the track.

I will likely not run a T&T anyway but wait for the rentals. It was good while it lasted :)

WildBillyT
02-21-2011, 08:49 AM

No, the reason he was in court was because a car/driver at a track rental was badly burned after a crash and a fire ignited in the car that was fed by a broken nitrous line. After the state police finished their investigation it was found that car was up to date but his NHRA license was out of date since 2004. The wife told the state police that they did not have enough money for the license. The driver was still in a burn care center as of last week. The accident was in September.

The death happened at a divisonal race in super comp later that same month everything was found to be in order

I'd read this as a yes on the fire jacket thing, and that they may up their game at track rentals too...

LTb1ow
02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Yea, I really should have one anyways, tis on my list.

SRGN
02-21-2011, 06:29 PM
You can never have too much safety equipment. That is one area I would never try to save money.

Squirrel
02-25-2011, 12:00 PM
hopefully this will cut down on the rotary guys oiling down the track every pass

BarneyMobile
02-26-2011, 08:16 AM
hopefully this will cut down on the rotary guys oiling down the track every pass
Sorry to say but 90% of the rotary guys have the necessary safety equipment to go atleast 10.0 so thats not gonna cut out too many of the rotary cars.

Squirrel
02-26-2011, 11:42 AM
no no, i mean an actual tech inspection... they may have the necessary safety equipment, but those cars are so hacked together its unsafe for others

Pampered-Z
03-03-2011, 01:49 PM
I never understand why people think it's a bad thing to be thoroughly teched in, it's your safety they are worried about?

From the meetings I attended it's happening at all tracks. but not as much that tech was lax'd as much as rules are changing and people needed to know that if they didn't have the right equipment they won't be going down the track. NHRA is stepping up the safety requirements and enforcements, and the track's insurance companies are making sure tech is done right. Top Dragster now needs Hans devices, SFI suits went from 2-3 etc. There were roll cage changes made to faster cars etc. the one grumble I heard was that cars with nitrous need it noted and located on the car s should there be a fire we know if there is a bottle and where the bottle is, etc.

I've never seen anyone tossed for going .01 or .02 under unless it was at a major type event. At the least, they may tell you to slow down. if you go way under or dial way under, well that could change things. The track can't allow a car with no cage to dial into the 10s. Don’t see that happening, if the car crashes the track will be fined or even loose it's insurance!