PDA

View Full Version : Radio Delete radio install plans

V
05-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Going along with my "less is more" theme on my IROC-Z build, I will be getting a NOS GM radio delete plate used on 1LE cars and such. Only issue is, I still want a radio, lol.

Being that I'm in NY and unable to actually work on the car, I can only plan stuff right now. So after looking around a bit, I have planned out my radio setup. I will be installing 4 new JL interior speakers in the stock locations, and running them off of a 4 channel Alpine V12 series amp which I already have. I thought about either hiding a standard style headunit or even getting a "hidden" setup that hot rodders use, but both didn't appeal to me. I wasn't deleting the radio just to have to hide it in another location.

I will be utilizing the Bluetooth Streaming Audio function of almost all current cellphones. I have the ability in my CTS-V and its kinda cool. I have found several Bluetooth music receivers that are about 3-4 square inches in size and have RCA outputs. I'd just plug the RCAs right into the amp and then use my cellphone (or a spare old cellphone with bluetooth streaming I have) to control music selection and volume. I can then just load a playlist through my computer and be good to go. Keep in mind I'm not building the stereo to be loud or for the bass to hit hard, its just to have a radio in general when cruising around. So this method works perfectly.

The_Bishop
05-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Man, you do like to make things complicated, huh? ;)

Tru2Chevy
05-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a really neat idea Paul.

- Justin

V
05-17-2011, 10:46 PM
I just like stuff different from the norm, and yea, most of the time, it is complicated lol.

Savage_Messiah
05-17-2011, 10:56 PM
make it voice activated!

BonzoHansen
05-18-2011, 12:04 AM
plenty of higher end builds are being done w/o head units now, it's not all that ground breaking at this point. It's all iPods/iPhones & smartphones now. I plan on no h/u or a stock style dummy in my 67 since you will never see an aftermarket DIN chassis installed in a 1st gen that looks good due to the dash contour. I'd have to look around, I'll post if I see any.

increases line out voltage http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep.php?prod_id=446

isolated power supply to kill line noise: http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?14&pid=178
it seems iCrap often has noise issues using the main connector. plus auto electrical system don't always have the cleanest voltage. that site has interesting stuff on it.

the bluetooth idea is neat if it doesn't compress the sound even more than the mp3 or net feed already does.

sweetbmxrider
05-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Stick the hu where your glove box should be. Plenty of room up there!

V
05-18-2011, 09:00 AM
3rd gens are too cool for gloveboxes, lol

I just finished up a wiring diagram of how to wire/install Auto-on headlights in the Iroc, using all GM components. I could even keep the DRLs, but i have those bypassed in the wiring already.

sweetbmxrider
05-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Less is moaar, !headlights

V
05-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Less is moaar, !headlights

kinda... but now with auto-on, i can !Headlight knob, haha

next to plan is !ignition switch.... lol

(im serious)

sweetbmxrider
05-18-2011, 12:26 PM
That's easy! But with auto-on, your stalking will be hindered....

V
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
That's easy! But with auto-on, your stalking will be hindered....

hence why the wiper controls(remember !wipers) will be rewired to be a secret auto on shut-off ;-)

and i want the ignition something touch related, not push, just touch, and doing it will all the fail-safes is the tricky part.

sweetbmxrider
05-18-2011, 12:38 PM
I know where to get a touch start if you haven't seen it already. You can def make the circuit fail safe too. Hardest part is pulling the wheel to disable the wheel lock nonsense and I'm not sure if you guys need the key in the ignition to shift as well.

Tale128
06-03-2011, 04:27 AM
dude run a thumbprint reader, to an ignition, then only YOU can start your car...unless someone has your thumb...

V
06-03-2011, 07:10 AM
dude run a thumbprint reader, to an ignition, then only YOU can start your car...unless someone has your thumb...

not a bad idea. something to consider. i could even put it up next to the rear view mirror, or some out of the way place. but there would have to by a hidden bypass switch somewhere.

Tale128
06-13-2011, 02:39 AM
you could put a cut off in the center console at an angle so you only find it if you know where to look