PDA

View Full Version : I need some of you familiar with island dragway plz...

1stIDFO
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Hello,Soo I've just recently got the urge to go drag racing and was hoping to get some in before winter,my nearest track is island, I went once years ago but I'm sure it has changed some since,so basically...When can I go?...I saw on the site that fridays was street night or something? Is that the only time I can go? Thanks

LS1ow
08-24-2011, 07:18 PM
island has literly been the same since like 1842. im not shure exactly what days its open, but i know i was there on a sunday lol

check out the event section, we have a meet at island in october!

oh btw, what part of north jerz?

thehazguy
08-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Check their website- http://www.islanddragway.com/ - In the summer every other Wednesday (tonite) they have Family night for $15.00 to run your car. Also have a barbeque , burgers, salad and soda. I went earlier in the year had a burger, a bottle of water and made three passes. Fun night for the money. They are also open Friday nights (Pro Tree) racing also on Saturday and Test & Tune on Sunday.

Pampered-Z
08-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Island is currently closed due to the weekend storm. You'll want to check the web site before heading here.

zraffz
08-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Go any Friday Night or the 2nd/4th week's Wednesday night (It's cheaper and they feed you for free).

Overall, it's a poor track. It's under new management recently though so I have some hopes for it.

NJ Torque
08-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Go any Friday Night or the 2nd/4th week's Wednesday night (It's cheaper and they feed you for free).

Overall, it's a poor track. It's under new management recently though so I have some hopes for it.

Poor track?

GT Automotive
09-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Why do you say poor track?
What are your specific criteria for posting that Island is a poor track?
There are few dragstrips left and Island has been around since the 60's. The track was always well run in my experience. Has decent bite and provides a lot of opportunity for racing.
Fridays can be crowded later in evening but if you get there early you can almost go in circles getting time shots. Saturdays and Sundays also provide time shots or bracket racing.
I have always enjoyed Island and recommend it. It has a more family feel then Englishtown. We need to patronize our local tracks and support them otherwise we will be like Ca and have to drive hours and wait hours to drag race since many tracks have closed.

Please backup your postings with real examples of why its a poor track, otherwise your post doesnt help.

mc73nova
09-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Friday night is street night which is hit or miss for hooking if you are putting down good power because of the inexperienced drivers dragging water to the line and tearing up the start, which happens anywhere. If you do a John Force burn out, which I have done, to put down some good rubber you can hook.

Saturday is normally a race day and even now with points being done for the year they continue to have gamblers races so the traction on Saturday's is optimal with cars going as fast as 7.00's over 180mph so I think you are good!

Sunday is just as good as Saturday for traction, with fast cars running all day. However, you do get the occasional person with street tires that doesn't know what he is doing go before you do, but again that can happen anywhere.

12secondv6
09-03-2011, 06:27 PM
It's been a great track for me - check their web site for days/ times