PDA

View Full Version : First time drag wheel setup help

SeanC
09-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Hey guys,

I'm searching for a drag setup for this year, and need a little help.

I'm looking into buying these skinnies:

http://www.fastlsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1342192961

But am unsure about the tires (not sure how to tell the wear on bias plys like that). I'm going to be running a MT drag radial in the rear, and have heard mixed opinions on running a bias ply in the front with radials. I'm also going to be driving the car to the track with these (20 minutes or so).

Opinions? I love the wheels, just not sure about the tires...

Thanks!

sweetbmxrider
09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
You can't see the tread lines, so you can't guess on the wear. At higher speeds, the radial will want to walk around the bias ply so to speak. Is it something you can deal with? Yes. Am I going to recommend you do it? Of course not.

SeanC
09-15-2011, 10:20 AM
If you go down to the bottom of the page he has pictures of the tires up close with a coin in the tread (just not sure how much tread bias plys have to start with). As long as its not "dangerous" and the tires will last a while, I think i'm going to go for it. I'm assuming the "walking" at the top end of the track isn't a big deal because it seems like a lot of people run a similar setup..

sweetbmxrider
09-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Those are good for some passes but I wouldn't street drive on them. Tread isn't any different from a radial in terms of depth.

mc73nova
09-15-2011, 03:31 PM
I have hoosier skinnies that size with mickey e.t. streets in the back and have no problems. I heard that rumor when I did it and I haven't had any trouble, my car goes straight as an arrow.

SeanC
09-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Did you ever drive them on the street? Obviously i'll be careful either way but I don't want to buy something dangerous or something that's going to wear away right away..

I'm debating just ordering a full set from jims racing tires and get exactly what I want. 4 wheels for $730 shipped isn't bad at all (still have to get tires...). I'm guessing 15X10 is too much tire for what I need, but I think its better than getting a 15X8. I think the race stars look awesome. Anybody know any disadvantages of them? (I think they're weight is comparable to most drag wheels)...

Also, if I am to buy all new stuff, what kind of radial skinnies should I get for the front (15X3.75)?

sweetbmxrider
09-15-2011, 05:38 PM
MT has a couple front radials.

Don't forget shanks and I will recommend longer wheel studs as well.

mc73nova
09-15-2011, 06:00 PM
No, I never drove them on the street.

These are a little more expensive than the others but this is what I was looking at.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey+Thompson/672/6652/10002/-1

SeanC
09-15-2011, 06:32 PM
What size studs do you need to run skinnies on the front (and what is the reasoning for this?) I wouldn't think running a skinny would put more force on the studs....

Also a dumb question, but what is the purpose of running "shanks" (not even sure I know the true difference)? Arn't the provided lugs that come with the rim fine?

Obviously i'm new to this stuff :lol: