PDA

View Full Version : 91 GTA project/resto

PolarBear
10-13-2011, 08:16 PM
This is my restomod build thread which is going to start with an IRS from a 89-96 C4 Corvette. I have a LOT more to do on the car since the fire last year after I bought my house. This is the main reason I am attempting this project, if I screw it up I havent lost a whole lot.

In addition to the C4 IRS I plan on a C beam instead of a transmission crossmember, and a TRUE dual exhaust, At this point I dont plan on a cross over, but I may change my mind later. With the use of the C beam instead of a transmission crossmember I will have a LOT of room to run the exhaust straight down the middle of the tunnel, tucked as high as I can go. I shouldnt lose any ground clearance over what I already had with the 3" Borla system.

So far this is what I have done on my 91 GTA. I have cut out the rear frame side pieces, I did this by cutting/drilling most of the spot welds in the rear section. I also had to cut a bit of the flange area at the inside of the wheel house to get to the upper spot welds as they were covered by that flange for the wheel house spot welds. There wont be a lot of pictures between this point and the rear frame section from the 94 Corvette that I bought. It is just a lot of cutting and measuring. I will provide some details on that process, but it is pretty straight forward and not very interesting.
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr302/notchbackgta/GTA%20Projects/IMAG0578.jpg

From this point I havent gotten too much more done. I cut out the inner braces that go from the sail panel area to the inner wheel house and I cut out parts of the inner wheel house. I also had //<86TA>\\ come over and help with some ideas and measurements. He laid out where I will be cutting the frame for the C4 frame to sit up in so I can keep the rigidity of the rear of the car.