PDA

View Full Version : Lets say "hypothetically" my friends car can't pass inspection....

98F-1camaro
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
due to a lack of cats on the car.

anyone know of any "options" he would have in this hypothetical situation?

WildBillyT
01-11-2012, 10:57 AM
What year is the car? 95 or below makes a difference.

98F-1camaro
01-11-2012, 11:05 AM
96+ f-body. the lack of cats can be tuned out of the comp but its exhaust level will prob make sure they do a visual under the car.

WildBillyT
01-11-2012, 11:19 AM
He can either put high flow cats on there, hypothetically put cat shells on, or hypothetically find a private shop.

LTb1ow
01-11-2012, 11:21 AM
A 96 just needs to pass a visual check, so just throw something that looks like cats on and voila.

98F-1camaro
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
thought about the private shop but wasnt sure which if any are lenient with that sort of thing.

also thought about the appearance of them being there but have no idea where something like that can be found.

WildBillyT
01-11-2012, 11:39 AM
thought about the private shop but wasnt sure which if any are lenient with that sort of thing.

also thought about the appearance of them being there but have no idea where something like that can be found.

Does he have a 3" y pipe?

98F-1camaro
01-11-2012, 11:51 AM
i think its actually a 2.5" y-pipe

Anti_Rice_Guy
01-11-2012, 11:52 AM
http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.php?cPath=210&products_id=320&osCsid=87b8b8d4882f7395e304a9f3530288b7 (http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.php?cPath=210&products_id=331&osCsid=87b8b8d4882f7395e304a9f3530288b7)

98F-1camaro
01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
now that is pretty cool

NJ346
01-11-2012, 12:10 PM
PM me for info on a local shop.

1320B4U
01-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Don't they still do a sniffer test on the exhaust? The did on my '91 last summer...no safety, just emissions...no cats will fail

98F-1camaro
01-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Don't they still do a sniffer test on the exhaust? The did on my '91 last summer...no safety, just emissions...no cats will fail

No. I believe on the obd II cars, they just plug it in and check that its all good.

oh and we are talking about an ls1 year f-body with long tubes and off road y.

creeper
01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
I hypothetically tuned out all of my hypothetical codes, hypothetically tacked two hypothetical heat shields (that I hypothetically ripped off of two hypothetical junk cats), drove it through a hypothetical state inspection facility, and passed with hypothetically flying colors

as soon as I got to my hypothetical home I hypothetically ripped them off

this is all hypothetically speaking of course

98F-1camaro
01-11-2012, 01:56 PM
hypothetically speaking, i'd like to get my hands on a set of heat shields, for my friend.

WildBillyT
01-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Hypothetically speaking, I have a set of 3" gutted cats lying around.

98F-1camaro
01-11-2012, 02:00 PM
unfortunately, in this hypothetical exercise, the car in question only has 2.5" pipes.

fmybody
01-11-2012, 02:49 PM
hypothetical lolz

stoney2677
01-11-2012, 02:54 PM
this is a funny thread...hypothetically.

shadowfire
01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
hypothetically do you have 75 dollars?

Jersey Mike
01-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Just needs to pass visual inspection. So many options here. For piece of mind, get some "Cats" on there so you won't have to deal with finding & paying a private facility every two years.

My high-flow cats were $55 each.
Can snag the heat-shields off of OEM cats for next to nothing & weld them over the pipe.
Anti_Rice_Guy's are also an option.

As long as you're not showing a code, and it looks like you have cats, they won't check any further.

Jloshotz
01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
As long as you're not showing a code, and it looks like you have cats, they won't check any further.

Hypothetically speaking of course :)

sweetbmxrider
01-11-2012, 10:22 PM
It isn't just a visual inspection, you have to pass on the computer end of thinks. Silly hypothetics. :)

mikey mort
01-12-2012, 07:43 PM
take it to a friends shop and have it "inspected"

98F-1camaro
01-13-2012, 07:37 AM
ok, where do I start (hypothetically of course lol)

-yes, $75 of monopoly money is available

-yes, it does have to pass the computer but thats being taken care of with the tune, so when they plug it in, everything "looks" good to the computer.

-If I had a "friend" with a "shop" this hypothetical exercise would never have been posted.

-I've never been a fan of cats and their uncanny ability to rob horsepower. When your on a tight budget, every pony counts.

BonzoHansen
01-13-2012, 07:51 AM
will $75 even pay for a regular private inspection anymore?

a high flow cat robs like 5hp in a street engine. but they are like AC. When $$ is tight they are not glamorous to spend $ on. lol

WildBillyT
01-13-2012, 09:15 AM

-yes, it does have to pass the computer but thats being taken care of with the tune, so when they plug it in, everything "looks" good to the computer.

-If I had a "friend" with a "shop" this hypothetical exercise would never have been posted.

-I've never been a fan of cats and their uncanny ability to rob horsepower. When your on a tight budget, every pony counts.

Chances are you won't lose any horsepower with high flow cats.

The days of cats taking a lot were long ago, when pellet cats were in use.

Featherburner
01-13-2012, 05:22 PM
I see 2-4 mobile inspection units pull out of work every day. I'd be more concerned about having a cat for their inspection than for the regular inspection.

shadowfire
01-15-2012, 10:43 AM
will $75 even pay for a regular private inspection anymore?

a high flow cat robs like 5hp in a street engine. but they are like AC. When $$ is tight they are not glamorous to spend $ on. lol

yes i got my car to pass for 75 and it hardly ran, died twice right in front of the guy, it might have helped that we do his tree work, but still i know a few places you can do this

shadowfire
01-15-2012, 10:45 AM

you could take your real 75. and get it done at a place i know

WildBillyT
01-15-2012, 07:12 PM
yes i got my car to pass for 75 and it hardly ran, died twice right in front of the guy, it might have helped that we do his tree work, but still i know a few places you can do this

If you know of one, make use of it now. Private stuff is drying up as far as easy-going goes. I knew of 3 places... none do it anymore. And they don't just hate me.

1QWIKBIRD
01-15-2012, 07:57 PM
I hypothetically tuned out all of my hypothetical codes, hypothetically tacked two hypothetical heat shields (that I hypothetically ripped off of two hypothetical junk cats), drove it through a hypothetical state inspection facility, and passed with hypothetically flying colors

as soon as I got to my hypothetical home I hypothetically ripped them off

this is all hypothetically speaking of course

I had this same hypothetical situation, except I had real cats that were hypothetically missing some interior components. I went through a state facility and even without codes showing, they still gave me the sideways look with the raised eyebrow. It was a case of the computer saying "all clear", their eyes saying "cats in place, good to go", but their noses saying "wait a second, what is that smell?" so you still have to be careful. They
even popped my hood to give a quick look. It go to the point, where I was starting to get nervous.

How aggressive is your camshaft, overlap, duration? Are there other things that would cause them to do a double take?

I agree with others that if you aren't making super big power, the HP hit is probably not that large, and judging by the 2.5" Y-pipe, I'm guessing the cats won't hurt you all that much, if at all.

I know I would not want to get caught in a roadside inspection with hypothetical cats, that surely wouldn't end well and I don't think the penalties are hypothetical.

Good Luck

NJ346
01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
I had this same hypothetical situation, except I had real cats that were hypothetically missing some interior components. I went through a state facility and even without codes showing, they still gave me the sideways look with the raised eyebrow. It was a case of the computer saying "all clear", their eyes saying "cats in place, good to go", but their noses saying "wait a second, what is that smell?" so you still have to be careful. They
even popped my hood to give a quick look. It go to the point, where I was starting to get nervous.

How aggressive is your camshaft, overlap, duration? Are there other things that would cause them to do a double take?

I agree with others that if you aren't making super big power, the HP hit is probably not that large, and judging by the 2.5" Y-pipe, I'm guessing the cats won't hurt you all that much, if at all.

I know I would not want to get caught in a roadside inspection with hypothetical cats, that surely wouldn't end well and I don't think the penalties are hypothetical.

Good Luck

I think no two state inspection stations are the same. I went to my local state one(Manahawkin) last week with my H/C car and they didn't even pop the hood. They don't use mirrors anymore but have cameras with led lights in the floor and a nice hdtv hanging on the wall. I have cats and they took a few looks at them but that was it. Believe it or not, they bothered me about not having a front plate more than anything else.

B4C
01-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Passed with flying colors last week, got my all flow cas from frozen boost, best $35 Ive spent. They guy even asked me what I did to get it to pass lol