PDA

View Full Version : exhaust.

sjersey93z28
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
tossed up. cant decide on the TSP rumbler catback, or havein my buddy weld up an x pipe with 2 bullets?

KirkEvil
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
X pipe if your buddy can route it to clear a chassis mount torque arm

coolmanvette75
02-28-2012, 10:43 AM
True Duals :)

Best mod I have done. Will be loud as **** but sounds awesome

LTb1ow
02-28-2012, 10:45 AM
X pipe if your buddy can route it to clear a chassis mount torque arm

With chambered mufflers, not bullets. Do not listen to the idiots that will come in and say a bullet is fine for a daily driver. See exhibit A above.

sjersey93z28
02-28-2012, 10:47 AM
how so? i have a lm 1 dumped no cats and long tubes as a ddriver now. cant be worse than that.

WildBillyT
02-28-2012, 10:49 AM
how so? i have a lm 1 dumped no cats and long tubes as a ddriver now. cant be worse than that.

LM1 is a bullet. LOL

coolmanvette75
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
With chambered mufflers, not bullets. Do not listen to the idiots that will come in and say a bullet is fine for a daily driver.

I daily mine with bullets (knew you talking about me). Yes its loud and to some obnoxious, but sounds great IMO. Not too too loud when you are just cruising around town, but can be heard from a good distance at WOT. Very little drone too. Only slight drone at exactly 2,000rpm...

ItIhYyJl5SI

Chambered also does sound good though. Borla xs is a nice sounding muffler
on true dual LT1 set-ups. Not a fan of flowmasters...

sjersey93z28
02-28-2012, 11:11 AM
lm1 is hollow where dynomax bullets have packing in them

sjersey93z28
02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
camaro sounds nice. im jus worried with the true duals that since my car is lowered they are gona be not friendly with clearance.

KirkEvil
02-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Dont get bullets, you'll be happier with the decision later on.

BonzoHansen
02-28-2012, 11:44 AM
I daily mine with bullets (knew you talking about me). ...

I guess it depends on what your daily driving consists of. The daily jaunt to high school is not the same as 40 miles on the turnpike, for instance. Thus KEvils reply no bullets.

Does the OP care about passing inspection? I guess not looking at his current setup. But I'm guessing an x pipe with bullets fails. No?

LTb1ow
02-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I guess it depends on what your daily driving consists of. The daily jaunt to high school is not the same as 40 miles on the turnpike, for instance. Thus KEvils reply no bullets.

Does the OP care about passing inspection? I guess not looking at his current setup. But I'm guessing an x pipe with bullets fails. No?

OP fails anyway with long tubes, and Kirkevil only compounded that other guys recomendation of a real chambered muffler versus bullet.

I have had every exhaust combo on my car, catback, catback with cutout, x pipe with bullets, x pipe with chambered mufflers, and I would not call mine a daily at all... hands down the chambered setup sounded much better.

The poster recomending bullets, is maybe 18? Drives to school and back, and doesn't even drive in the winter with it. Bullets are cool until you get pulled over for sound violation tickets, asked by neighbors to not come home late or leave early, and or set up car alarms. Last one, I will admit was fun. :wink:

Unless your friend is very good at pipe bending and welding, a X pipe will be tough to make clear a chasis mount, which again the poster who recomends bullets has a trans mount torque, great for snapping off tailshafts.

Stick with a catback IMO, hooker aerochamber, magnaflow etc. with a cutout for when you wanna sound blaringly loud, and slow, cause no offense, its a maybe 13sec car.

WildBillyT
02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
OP fails anyway with long tubes, and Kirkevil only compounded that other guys recomendation of a real chambered muffler versus bullet.

I have had every exhaust combo on my car, catback, catback with cutout, x pipe with bullets, x pipe with chambered mufflers, and I would not call mine a daily at all... hands down the chambered setup sounded much better.

The poster recomending bullets, is maybe 18? Drives to school and back, and doesn't even drive in the winter with it. Bullets are cool until you get pulled over for sound violation tickets, asked by neighbors to not come home late or leave early, and or set up car alarms. Last one, I will admit was fun. :wink:

Unless your friend is very good at pipe bending and welding, a X pipe will be tough to make clear a chasis mount, which again the poster who recomends bullets has a trans mount torque, great for snapping off tailshafts.

Stick with a catback IMO, hooker aerochamber, magnaflow etc. with a cutout for when you wanna sound blaringly loud, and slow, cause no offense, its a maybe 13sec car.

Adam, did you hack Matt's login?

Anti_Rice_Guy
02-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Adam, did you hack Matt's login?

What he has just said, is the most insanely logical thing I have ever heard. At every point, in his well organized, coherent response he was stating exactly what could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now smarter for having listened to it. I award him 2 points and may God bless his soul.

KirkEvil
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
you, sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar.

Funny how people want to make slow cars loud and fast cars quiet.

sjersey93z28
02-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Coolmanvette75 car sounds really good allot less raw on the ears than my setup now. Jus gona check my ground clearance to make sure it will work.

BonzoHansen
02-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Funny how people want to make slow cars loud and fast cars quiet.

and it's been that way since the old days.

sweetbmxrider
02-28-2012, 01:03 PM
You should run open headers!

I'm all about a tame catback with a cutout, its the best of both worlds. I don't see where sjersey93z28 mentioned a chassis mounted torque arm though so its a rather moot point right now. If you like a loud car, have at it.

WayFast84
02-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Moroso spiral flow>bullets, but +1 for a nice magnaflow catback. I don't even have my car back and I already dread driving 25 miles to work and waking my (awesome) mom pulling in at 3 am.

LTb1ow
02-28-2012, 01:15 PM
You should run open headers!

I'm all about a tame catback with a cutout, its the best of both worlds. I don't see where sjersey93z28 mentioned a chassis mounted torque arm though so its a rather moot point right now. If you like a loud car, have at it.

His signature indicates a hope for 12s which, ain't gonna happen just all on its on, suspension will be key and short torque arms are where its at.

Sounds like you have your mind up OP, just be wary that while yes a cammed, X piped car with bullets sounds amazing... they have an odd way of not sounding so great when the car is yours and you have to drive it daily. Have fun creeping past cops and praying.

Just do your research on it, look at a lot of setups and see what will work best for you. Key is lots of rubber isolated hangers and V band clamps, trust me, slip fit SUCKS and flanges, are only a small step better. Spend the money cause the exhaust will make you hate the car if it rattles or blares etc.

I think I have now OD'd on mature/logical thread posts, done for a good month or so now.

coolmanvette75
02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Coolmanvette75 car sounds really good allot less raw on the ears than my setup now. Jus gona check my ground clearance to make sure it will work.

Good luck with ground clearence if you are lowered though. My lowering springs lasted less than 2 weeks with the 3 inch duals, before they were removed and the car returned to sotck height. If you want to keep it lowered, many people have been sucessful with 2.5 inch true dual systems on lowered cars.

Matt (LTb1ow) makes some very good points in his post. In the end it all comes down to personal taste and tolarence. If you like it loud, dont care about cops, and dont give a damn what your neighbors think then x pipe with bullets is what you need.

If not then you can do one of the following:

1. True duals with chambered mufflers

Borla xs
ge6CNxblIGY

magnaflow
pmQwwM7_1Hs

flowmaster (not a fan imo)
StPh4idObk8

2. Big single system (3inch plus) with a cutout if you need it really loud

mufflex (local here in nj)
cPxbW9GGgyg

borla xs (with cutout in video)
TglETWyZWkk

magnaflow, gmmg, slp, etc

sjersey93z28
02-29-2012, 11:11 AM
thanks for all the input well appreciated

Slow Z
02-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Don't be one of "those guys" with the loud obnoxious cars.... No reason for dual exhaust unless you're making huge power. Find a 3" cat-back you like and call it a day

deadtrend1
02-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Don't be one of "those guys" with the loud obnoxious cars.... No reason for dual exhaust unless you're making huge power. Find a 3" cat-back you like and call it a day

Thats my belief...